eight: survivors' guilt

"but we cannot simply sit and stare at our wounds forever"

//

PRESENT DAY
BAGHDAD

Her usual pink lehenga laid untouched on her bed along with her jewellery.

Yasmine cannot get herself to wear her usual attire and go out of her chambers. Wearing it would feel like betraying the grief that she carries inside her, like an insult to her mourning.

Nothing she owns feels appropriate to wear, all her favourite outfits are a reminder of Aladdin. Part of her doesn't want to wear them because she feels it might taint the memories she has in them.

Even the simplest black libaaz reminds her of her kaala chor.

She holds the garment close to herself. But it does not bring even a fraction of the comfort Aladdin brings her.

Eventually, she ends up wearing simple black set and fixes her hair a little.

Yasmine hasn't met Ammi or his Toli, as he liked to call his djinns, since she lost Aladdin. She couldn't gather the courage to face them. Now, she couldn't let her grief overpower her all the time, she was a queen who was wronged, she couldn't afford weakness.

She sheathes a dagger on her waist and ties a shard of cloth from Aladdin's libaaz on her wrist. It serves as a reminder of her purpose.

Yasmine swings the doors of her chamber open and a her guard stands outside, like they were expecting her. They are on alert and surprised, but it isn't visible on their faces. She assumes it is her somber expression and unusual attire.

She gestures for them to leave and they, albeit hesitantly, obey her command.

She leaves for Ammi's home ensuring no one follows her.

In some time, she finds herself outside her door, hesitant to knock. Everytime she raises her hand to knock, she can't do it. On her umpteenth attempt, Sara opens the door.

She invites Yasmine in, who obliges.

"Aadaab Shehzaadi." She smiles like she's learning to do it again.

Yasmine greets her in return, her eyes searching for Ammi. Sara notices and takes her to their room upstairs. The older woman sits leaning on the wall, a picture in her hand.

Ammi longingly gazes at the picture with a smile. It doesn't take long to figure out who is in the picture. Yasmine enters the room careful not to startle her and sits in front of her.

She feels like she is an intruder in a sensitive moment when Ammi doesn't realise her arrival. Yasmine puts her hand on Ammi's to gain her attention. She looks up from the picture and her eyes are shining with tears as she smiles to acknowledge Yasmine's presence.

Her heart clenches seeing the perseverance and strength of the woman in front of her. How she smiles with tears threatening to fall from her eyes, and dares to remember and acknowledge her loss instead of locking it away.

Yasmine cannot find the right words to say to her.

"Kaisi hai, Shehzaadi?" Ammi asks.

Yasmine does not have an answer, yet she replies.

"Kya mehsoos kare yeh hum samajh nahi paa rahe. Aap?" She asks in return.

"Jis ghum se ek dafa guzar chuke hai, usse phir mehsoos kar rahe hai." She articulates her emotions carefully.

The picture is still in her left hand, as she takes Yasmine's hand in her right hand. She can feel the callouses in her warm hand as she offers comfort. They find themselves helping each other before they even realise it.

"Ghum agar baataa jaye toh kam ho jaata hai. Jaanti hai aap?" She explains, as if she is talking to a child.

Yasmine nods as tears prick her eyes.

She hugs Ammi as her grief threatens to knock her down. Her guilt and regret open themselves inside her.

"Hume maaf kar dijiye. Humari vajah se- aaj Aladdin yahan nahi hai-" She confesses hysterically.

If only, she had been faster, better, she would've never gotten kidnapped. She could've saved him, but all she did was become the reason of Aladdin's death not once, but twice.

Her guilt eats at her, every waking moment and she cannot do anything to make it go away. Maybe forgiveness from the one she has wronged the most would lessen it, was a childish thought, and yet Yasmine acted upon it.

Ammi embraces her with both arms, and only fuels her sadness. She holds her head with one hand and rubs her back to comfort her with another.

Yasmine cannot comprehend how weak she feels, seeking comfort in a grieving mother's arms. She feels like a thief, stealing the love of Aladdin's part and keeping it for herself. How ironic is it? That she fell in love with a thief and now all she does is stealing.

"Aladdin ne bohot hee naik kaam kiya hai, use apni galti mat banaiye, Shehzaadi." She asserts.

She doesn't understand Ammi's words.

"Uska dil hee uski taakat tha, aur uske dil mein basne vaale use taakatvar banate the. Unhe bachaane ke liye usne jo kiya, voh uski bahaduri hai, apki galti nahi." She says firmly.

The guilt that coiled around her throat loosens as Ammi's words sink into her.

"Itne achche aur naik dil insaan ke saath kismat itna bura suluk kaise kar sakti hai?" She asks, not expecting an answer.

"Khuda jisko jo musibatein deta hai, voh uski kaabiliyat dekhkar deta hain." Ammi answers.

"Kya yeh naa insaafi nahi?" Yasmine asks again.

"Unka insaaf humari samajh ke daayre ke bahar hai, Shehzaadi. Jab voh chahega tab hume samajha dega." She replies calmly.

Yasmine lets go of Ammi and faces her. Her strength is all she can see on her face. Her resilience shines in her eyes and her hope finds home in her small smile.

"Aladdin aur Sheikh Ginu ka insaaf unke haathon mein hain, lekin Zafar ka humare haathon mein hain. Hum aapse puchna chahte hai ki aap kya chahti hai?" Yasmine asks her earnestly.

As she says Zafar's name, all light from her face drains out.

"Matlab?" Ammi asks.

"Apne Yasmine ka sahara bani, toh ab aapki Shehzaadi ko ek mauka dijiye aapko insaff dene ka. Aap hume bataiye aap uss apraadhi ko kya saza dena chahengi?" She clarifies.

Ammi looks like she didn't expect the question, and therefore is unable to reply instantly. Yasmine waits for her to give her judgement. She deserves to decide the punishment for her sons' murderer.

And as a generous queen and an excellent executioner, Yasmine would deliver.

"Hum chahte hai ki uski sachi fitrat Baghdad ke samne aaye, aur jis guroor se unhone hume itne zakhm diye hai, voh guroor ke itne tukde ho, ki voh apni puri umr bhi koshish kare toh jod na paye." She says bitterly.

It is the obvious choice but Yasmine has something even worse planned for him. Ammi's wish shall from part of his punishment, but it isn't fit for his crimes. He deserves a date worse than death. It is cruelty at it's core.

But

She

Likes it.

//

that's it for the chapter! i hope you liked it! pretty sure it's been more than a year since i lasted updated, so if this pops up on your feed i bet you're surprised.

anyway, incomplete stories are one of my biggest icks, so i hope this doesn't become one of them!

goodbye!