xv : serious

"Because I can't bring myself to do anything else."

Yuqi nodded, and Soyeon seemed to droop a little at my words. We made some awkward eye contact, but Yuqi was quick to cut the silence short.

"Interesting. I don't mean to sound insensitive by changing the subject, I know I'm the one that brought it up, but I believe there's a part of the note we have yet to discuss." Yuqi added.

"No, you're fine. What is it?" I replied.

"Well," Yuqi began, gesturing to the scan of Soojin's note on her screen. "She wrote here, 'I was in love with Shuhua up until her death.' I feel like this is a big detail to brush over. It could have huge significance later on." She finished. Soyeon breathed out heavily at the mention of it, almost as if she were hoping it wouldn't be brought up.

"Yeah, about that..." She sighed shamefully. Intrigued, and also slightly worried, I immediately shifted my attention to her. "I knew about that. I knew about it for a really long time, actually." she admitted.

"I knew you didn't seem very fazed by it when you read the note that day." I interrupted.

"She confided in me about it. She made me swear to never tell anyone, so that's what I did. I didn't expect things to end up like this, though..." She trailed off with a somber natured sigh.

"Nobody did." I muttered. Sick of the heavy atmosphere, Yuqi finally interjected.

"I'll offer some encouraging words if that's what it takes to get us back on task." She said semi-jokingly, attempting to lighten the mood. "Soyeon, I'll give it to you straight, regarding what you said earlier. Yes, if you didn't find out, Shuhua wouldn't have died."

"Yuqi! Is that what you call encouraging?!" I exclaimed, narrowing my gaze into a glare. Yuqi rolled her eyes at me.

"Let me finish." She groaned. "But had you not found out, [Y/N] would still be with Shuhua trapped in a toxic relationship and eventually, maybe she would've become like Soojin as well. You understand? Of course, this is the worst case scenario, and it's a shame that two of your friends had to pass, but this is not your fault. This is the murderer's fault. Nobody except the murderer is ever at fault for a homicide like this. Whether you found out or not, people would still suffer. It's out of your hands." She reassured.

"I'll make sure they pay for what they did. If not for Shuhua, then for Soojin." Soyeon muttered with a glimmer of determination in her eyes. I nodded and grinned in honor of Soyeon's perseverance.

"Alright, alright, that's better. Now, back to the note." Yuqi replied, giving no more time to the sappiness.

"Yes. Soojin really loved Shuhua, but Shuhua couldn't have been more in love with [Y/N], at least seemingly... so she kept it to herself always. I thought it was just gonna be a little crush that she got over, but it lasted years. It was miserable to see her that distraught. [Y/N], I couldn't tell you then, so please understand... but the reason why Soojin acted out that day was not only what I told you before, but mixed with losing the girl she had been secretly in love with forever... it hurt her a lot. She couldn't take it and decided to pin everything on you. She was so jealous. She never hated you for it, and Soojin was never a jealous person. But, like I said, death brings out the worst in people. The Soojin we knew the last few days of her life... it wasn't the same. She completely changed. That's why she asked us to remember her fondly, as who she was, not who she became." She finished. I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded.

"Call me crazy, but..." Yuqi began hesitantly. "The more you talk about her, the more I think Soojin might actually be one of our biggest suspects." Yuqi muttered, deep in thought. "I see you getting fired up, Soyeon. Remember what we said earlier."