| Twenty-Six |

Here is when the narrative changes. I am suddenly swarm in the middle and the only person that can clear the smoky air. Something Rubies was afraid to do that night. Suddenly, Penny is cursing under her breath and her eyes roam the ground like we are stuck in a fire.

It feels as though someone wrapped a plastic bag around my head and I am slowly suffocating. I wish it would kill me though but unfortunately my heart is pumping, my lungs are taking air in and I am a functioning body.

Brennan and Andrew enter through the side gate and every time they cut pass a window—I see their long, thin bodies. I don't know how Penny saw them so quickly but this could've meant that she was preparing for them to come.

With my eyes still creeping over the counter and between the liquor bottles, I watch them dab some old classmates and hug females. Em skips to Brennan and gives him in a long kiss on the lips. Guilt settles in my stomach.

"What should we fucking do?" Penny snaps, yanking me back down. I fall on my ass while she slides down the cabinets. "I can't go out there." She tells me then remembers that Gavin is outside with everyone.

"Relax, it's okay." I try to calm her down and stand up but she holds me down. Her long, almond shaped nails curl into my skin.

"Fuck Andrew." She snaps at me with a voice laced with venom. Her large chocolate eyes are bright in the warm light. "I hate him."

"I get it, Penny." Her name on my tongue comes out like a whip. Her shoulders tense and her brows knit together. A pleading look in her desperate eyes.

We both hear the sliding door open and Penny squeaks. Her grip around my arm hurts and suddenly, she is frozen still. Her knees curl up to her chest and her eyes are the size of saucers staring into nothingness.

I consider calling Gavin for help but when I am able to pry away from her hold, I stand and find Andrew on the other side of the counter. He straightens his posture when he notices it's me and widens his eyes in surprise.

"Oh, hi." He forces out as though saying my name is poison to his lips. Shyly, he runs his hand through his loose, straight hair. Andrew came to America when he was a toddler. His parents adopted him from China.

He was the Valedictorian at our school and announced best lacrosse player in the county. Overall, I know he is a great guy but he hurt Penny and no one hurts my Penny.

I suck in a breath, "Hey Andrew."

"Didn't expect to see you here."

Twirling a random bottle in my hands I purse my lips into a thin line and nod, "I won't be here for that long though."

Force of habit, I spot the bruise and unscrew the cap of the gin bottle in my hands. I take a swig and cough from the pungent smell afterwards. Andrew stares and awkwardly, I shift from one hip to the other. I don't feel like myself right now.

I'm an inch shorter and my hair has changed. Penny punches my knee and I jolt forward. Some bottles clatter against each other and Andrew takes a cautious step forward.

"Everything okay?"

"Mhm, you?" I don't know if he means now or in general so I am sincere. Maybe I'll scare him enough to walk back outside.

He shrugs, "Fine. I'm going to go to China next month for an internship."

I take another swig and cringe, "Oh wow, great for you."

Something comes out of his parted lips—either a noise or a soft yeah but he can't stop staring at my body stumbling around. Next to me on the ground, Penny is kneecapping me from behind and finding pure amusement of my knee constantly hitting the wooden cabinet. It's a way she can cope with her anxiety.