| Thirty-Five |

Present Day

Clarry took her brother's pickup truck and swung by everybody's house to pick us up. In an empty parking lot by the docks we are all sitting in the back with blankets covering our legs. Penny is trying to throw popcorn in Vivi's mouth and Jules is dabbling on three or four mints since she hasn't drank.

    Em's head is leaned back on the edge and is staring up the dusty pink sky. I am bundled up next to Clarry with my head resting on her shoulder. Faint music is playing and whenever I close my eyes—hearing their voices and the crash of the ocean below the docks is relaxing.

    I don't want it to end.

    Suddenly, it runs quiet and I pry my tired eyes open to find them looking around the area.

    "So, this is it." Vivi begins first. "We did what Rubies left."

    "I didn't get anything." I say with a shaky sigh.

    "Oh?" She pops a brow, almost forgetting.

    "Yeah, I was 5/6." Em tells her, rubbing the back of her neck from laying in a position for too long.

    "I guess we'll have to wait." Clarry smiles at me because she knows how much it has sadden me to know I'm last. If I ever get something.

    "I don't want to sound like an ass but it's been a long time. Don't you have to leave soon, Clarry? And you, Theo?" Penny glances at both of us and I shrug.

    "I really don't have a set date to return but it's not like I have a steady job for a reason to go back. Clarry does but I know we are going to go to Hawaii in a month or so." I rub my hands together to keep them warm, "Besides, we don't have to wait. Whatever I get whenever I get it, I won't hesitate to text the chat."

    "I'm so excited for Hawaii." Jules replies, twirling small mints with her tongue.

    "I am leaving on Friday." Clarry announces and we all look at her with gaped mouths. "Sorry, my mom is telling me that I shouldn't stay here any longer. What happened, happened and I need to move on."

    Penny hugs her from the side and mutters, "Nothing wrong with that. We all are moving on together."

    Clarry hugs her from the side and Vivi snacks on the bowl of popcorn in the middle. I look at all of them and there's a part of me that wants to share what I want to say.

    Em jumps in, "I broke up with Brennan."

    "What!" Jules squeals and we all lean forward to make sure we heard correctly. Her nose is pink from the slight wind and her smile falls short.

    "Yes, I left him."

    "A start of many." Vivi cheers abnormally while hitting her vape. Forcing her in, we all group huddle into a hug. Em laughs and tells us all that we are overreacting.

    "I'm so happy for you." I shake her shoulder and she shrugs it off jokingly.

    "I just needed some of my girls motivation."

    "Finally after years of pain and misery." Vivi adds and Em's eye dim. She brings her legs close to her and nods softly.

    "Yep."

    Small talk begins again and I stand outside of them all. I listen, think and smile when they all laugh at something I don't hear. The bruises on my arms have almost healed because I've stopped touching them.

I've stopped reminding myself.

They stopped remembering.

    "I'm going to miss you guys." I announce all of a sudden. Their voices die down and they glance my way.