━ Chapter Nine

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━IX

IX. 𝑨𝒍𝒍 𝑺𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝑭𝒆𝒍𝒍
96ᴀᴄ
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

 𝑨𝒍𝒍 𝑺𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝑭𝒆𝒍𝒍96ᴀᴄ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

DEIRDRE HAD ARRIVED LATE TO THE JOUST. The ties to her simple, red dress were fastened poorly and loosely, a consequence of her ever-mounting tiredness and the hurried pace she had to work at. It was luck that she was not needed immediately for Aemma, instead the Lannister woman and Alerie had dressed and joined the Lady to break-her-fast. The baseborn girl had no chance to clean her smokey skin or ash-woven hair in her haste, and so arrived to her post beside Alerie and Aemma not only embarrassingly behind, but also stinking of the volcanic mountain far at their hind. Quickly, she slowed to a stop and straightened her skirt, rubbing a small patch of ash onto it.

The Hightower turned her doe eyed gaze onto her friend, narrowed pools of brown scrutinising her halfheartedly before she gagged slightly on the stench. "Were you bathing in a forest fire?" she asked quietly, leaning away from Deirdre. The redhead pulled an offended face, bringing the back of her hand to her face and smelling the skin, wrinkling her nose at the worse than expected scent. She blew on her skin and a small cloud formed around the appendage.

"I slept with the window open," she lied with false indignation, pointing her nose skyward, "I did not think it would be so bad."

"And why are you late?" Alerie queried, "You had no tasks this morning." Her brown eyes were narrowed in thinly veiled suspicion.