Ocean Avenue

The windows rolled down letting in the salty breeze and Tina inhaled deeply rejoicing in her return. Lowering the radio she took the exit and entered the outskirts of Seymour's Bay. Just a week ago she'd taken the spontaneous decision to visit her childhood home. Linda had been supportive immediately bombing her with activities to fill her summer but her father on the other hand supplied an odd reaction. Bob Belcher hadn't expected to have all three of his kids back in one roof for more than two months on such sudden notice.

Tina came to a full stop just about two blocks away. She took a moment to quickly examine the state of the neighborhood. It all appeared the same to the casual glance but she knew it wasn't. Certain stores had shut down, other's had been remodeled, and then there was the people. Today was a particularly calm one. She didn't expect to run into anyone anytime soon so she took a detour to the goods mart.

Killing the engine Tina reached for her phone on the passenger seat. It had been ringing all morning, surely texts from Linda. Scrolling through the notifications she found a short message from her sister. She had already purchased a gift for the recent high school graduate but it wouldn't hurt to buy Louise some of her favorite snacks. Stepping out into the mostly empty parking lot she looked around with a sudden anxious lump in her throat.

Inside the mart's layout had remained the same. She hadn't expected any big changes, last time she'd been here was about two years ago. Tina pictured the Christmas she spent back at home her sophomore year, a visible cringe overcame her. Browsing the aisles she did little to acknowledge what she was actually there for. Picking out some bags of chips and a pack of assorted candy she carried the basket at her hips, the low buzz of the fluorescent lights and far off beeping of the registers lulled her heartbeat.

There was a crash two aisles over setting her off. In her back pocket the phone buzzed. reaching for it Tina answered with a fairly steady voice "Sup' Gene." she greeted while making her way to the single self-checkout, she had killed enough time "Mom's making lasagna and keeps asking when you're getting here!" his voice booms through the speakers and she presses the side button lowering the volume. Placing the basket down she scans the items and glances at the time "Uh- fifteen minutes tops." she answers listening to the rustle on the other side of the call and then a murky exchange of words before her brother's voice reemerges "Perfect, drive safe T!" the call ends and she swipes the card.

Throwing the items on the passenger side she sinks into the seat with an audible groan. She hadn't thought it would be this awkward to be back. Pulling down the visor mirror Tina stared into her blue eyes until they grew dry and she had to profusely blink. Picking at her hair she cursed under her breath. She didn't even bother to assess her outfit. Turning the key Tina fixed her posture and pulled out from the parking spot.

The remaining drive home took less than ten minutes as she stationed the car around the corner. Gene was already waiting outside the storefront and he tapped on the glass when Tina appeared. Bursting through the door Linda squealed before running over to her daughter, her signature bob bouncing with excitement. The impact of her mother's hug nearly tipped Tina over but she swiftly recovered "Oh my Teeny Tina a college graduate!" Linda exhaled and stepped back with a smile "It's only a bachelors." Tina averted her mothers gaze with a sheepish smile.

There was a loud tap against metal and Tina looked over to see Gene taking out her luggage "Geeze what did you pack?" he shut the hood before catching his breath. Tina didn't say much as she handed her mother a small colorful bag "Oh baby you didn't have to- what is it?" she clasped her hands excitedly but Tina shook her head walking off "It's a surprise- but uh- don't expect much." she answered as Gene caught up with her "It's a university keychain isn't it?" he asked under his breath and she nodded "Crap that's what I was going to give her!" he sighed while opening the door.