Creature Comforts

The sunlight shined through the curtains and outside the sound of footsteps filtered in and out. Turning over Tina shrunk under the covers but there was no use trying to go back to sleep. Her arm extended out as she tapped around for her glasses nearly knocking down the lamp on the side table.

Tina's mind was still foggy, she had stayed up late into the night reading through her notes app. Now her phone was nearly dead as she tried to read the time. She let out a groan noting it was half past eight, her father had surely beee up prepping. Sitting up she glanced at the strewn-about luggage on the floor and then up at the window. What sounded like Gene's footsteps walked by and towards the kitchen. Surely her mother would already be up and making coffee. Covering her face she rubbed her temples and let out an audible sigh.

Collecting a brush and the contacts case she put on some slippers to make her way to the bathroom. Nearly bumping into a blob of green Tina quickly identified her younger sister, Louise had bundled herself in a fluffy blanket. Tina eyed her and frowned "Hungover?" she asked but Louise could barely answer beyond a grunt. Standing behind them Gene was already dressed for the day "There's coffee in the pot, mom and I are going to the store." he greeted while moving past them and disappearing down the stairs. Louise trudged towards her room and Tina locked herself in the bathroom.

Taking a seat on the toilet she contemplated whether to step foot outside of the house. Last night had been too much. Of course she had been glad to be reunited with Susmita but she hadn't come back home to fall back into old habits, Tina wanted to refresh her perspective. All she had were less than three months to gain some head start and she would be damned if it was all wasted on the reminiscence of her high school days. Hopping into the shower she washed off and took some time to figure out what her plan was.

After blow-drying her hair and popping on her contacts Tina walked back to her bedroom feeling a little lighter. She took note that there was still no sign of life from her sister. Tina couldn't blame the youngest Belcher. She remembered what it was like to want to fit in, not that Louise would ever admit to it. Things had changed for Louise in the past four years with both her siblings moving out and her transition from childhood to the beginnings of adulthood.

Under the cover of a weighted blanket Louise scrolled through her phone, the bright light forcing her to squint. There was an odd feeling of shame mixed with regret as she read over the blue and grey text bubbles. Three dots appeared at the bottom and she immediately swiped away and held the phone against her chest. A knock came from the door and she scrambled to open it, the phone still tightly held in her hand.

Tina's eyes widen at the sight of her sister's bedhead and wrinkled plaid pjs "Ahh Tina at least get dressed first!" Louise turned away and gestured at Tina's lack of coverage besides the towel she'd wrapped around herself. Dismissing the comment Tina walked away "Good you're awake, we're taking a walk around the pier after lunch so be ready by then." she ordered before shutting the door to the bedroom.

Placing the luggage atop her dresser she sifted through the clothing and put on the first pair of matching underwear she could find followed by a white top. Organizing the rest of the items in the drawers Tina stood still glancing between a pair of jeans or some overalls. Picking the overalls she buttoned them up and slipped on some white socks with the usual converse. Her laptop had been left open and she shut it quickly shoving it into a tote bag and placing the small leatherbound notebook next to it.

It had been a while since she lived at home or had her stuff snooped on but there was no way she was risking it this time around, there were some things her family just couldn't know about. Hanging the bag over her shoulder she headed down to the restaurant. Pushing the door open she spotted her father already in the kitchen with a mug in hand. Bob glanced to see his daughter by the entrance "Morning." he greeted as she hid the bag under the counter.