Farmers Market

Last night Bob had gathered up the kids in the living room, well it had been more so that Tina had just gotten back home and Gene was singing karaoke with Linda while Louise lay on the couch doom-scrolling through the same three apps. He stood at the doorway watching as Tina lifted up her sister's legs to free up a seat for herself before fixing them back down on her lap. She'd been out late tonight, not that it bothered him so much. Tina had been an adult for a while now and she'd been living in a completely different state since college.

Even then Bob hadn't expected to revert to his protective ways once all three of them were under the same roof again. All of a sudden he found himself thinking back to the summers they spent attached to him while he grilled or afternoons where they'd try to bargain their way out of helping after school. He wasn't as expressive as Lin but he loved them just as much, in his own way of course.

Clearing his throat Bob moved over to where his wife had sat down "How about we take a trip to the farmers market this weekend?" already expecting a chorus of groans and sighs but the room was oddly silent. Rubbing her eyes Tina nodded "That sounds great dad." she shot him a tired smile while Louise put her phone down "Heh remember last time we went? I'm down, it'll be fun." she agreed before going back to scrolling meanwhile Gene handed the microphone to his mom "There were some flyers announcing live music at the market, that's something I have to check out." he reached for a cup and took a gulp while nodding.

Clapping Linda grinned at her husband "Oh Bobby it'll be a family outing, first of this summer. We'll have buy some stuff and cook something nice." she stood up taking his hand and swaying him to the music coming from the speaker. The three Belcher siblings watched as their parents twirled around the living room, their father stumbling behind their energetic mother.

Not long after Tina sleepily shuffled down the hallway, her mom had already gone to sleep and her dad was watching a subtitle-only movie with Louise while her brother had excused himself when Alex called. Quietly she shut the door to her room and fell into her bed, the creak of the frame a signal of its wear over the years.

Rolling over she fished out her phone from the tote bag and scrolled through the piled up notifications until her finger froze. A set of ten digits, in any other case it'd be considered an unknown phone number but not to Tina Belcher. She was all too familiar with this specific arrangement of numbers. Tapping on the notification the full text message appeared on her screen "...mita gave me your new number. It's Zeke by the way." she mumbled the message over and over again to herself until it settled deep into her conscious.

Springing up she checked the time "Crap!" she groaned throwing her phone down. It had been over an hour since he'd sent it. It was now half past eleven, would he still be awake? A blurry memory from their days back in high school crossed her mind but she quickly let it pass. Things were different now, they were different or rather she was at least. Zeke was still the same good natured and hard-headed guy he'd been back then. Although maybe he'd matured out of a few things and grown into others, she felt her face warm up.

Tina shook her head, now was not the time to think about such things. Rifling through the dresser's drawers she took out a set a pajamas and swiftly changed mindlessly throwing her clothes into the hamper. Crossing her arms she stared back at the phone now sitting on top of her bed unaware of how much distress it had caused. Pacing the room Tina weighed out the pros and cons of it all. Suddenly every interaction she could remember was being pulled from her memories.

A lot had been left unsaid that summer she left for college, many of it was years worth of unsettled emotions piled up. But things were different now, had she not enjoyed their conversation the other day? Tina had so easily slipped back into her extroverted manner around him and he'd been so calm, collected even. But he had to remember too right? All that had been left undone.