The Spins

When they'd gotten home that Saturday the Belcher children had all quietly retreated to their rooms leaving their mother bewildered but it was Bob who had been unexpectedly surprised. Linda shifted around the totes of groceries on the counter into their respective spots around the kitchen. Green cabinets opened and shut, the rhythmic thuds and clangs a background for his thoughts. A hand landed atop his head and he felt a caress before glancing up to see his wife's frown "What's got you all pouty like a pug." ...

There was a loud thud coming from the ceiling and Tina rolled over trying to drown out the ruckus but it was pointless as Linda barged in not even waiting a minute more after knocking. Patting the bundle of blankets she greeted her daughter before opening the curtains.

Lifting the covers over her head Tina hid expecting the blinding morning sunlight but instead a cloudy blue hue covered the bedroom "Mom it's eight am on a Friday why-" she protested while Linda stood over her with a doting smile "ACs broken hun so Teddy's going to be stopping around all day and you know how your dad gets." she gestured then going back to crack the window open "Luckily todays on the cooler side, some pretty clouds we've got but it better not storm." Linda commented more so to herself than to her half alseep daughter behind her.

Tina felt the crisp morning breeze brush past her as she sat up "I'll be down to help soon." she shuffled up to grab her robe but Linda shook her head "No need hun." she gestured between them excitedly "We're picking up the new dishwasher your father scored last week!" she clapped and Tina could already feel a headache incoming. Reaching for the glass of water at her bedside she took a long gulp before surfacing for some air and by then her mother had already made her way back to the kitchen. Making a note to thank her mother Tina cleaned up the bowl of fruit and cup of coffee that had been left atop the dresser.

When she was just about ready Louise had passed by with a message from their mother who was not so patiently waiting downstairs. Tina pulled down the windbreaker over the graphic t-shirt, the whale at the center had become faded but she refused to get rid of it.

Sitting at the edge of the bed she put on some comfy crew socks and slipped into the dark brown uggs. Truthfully she'd only brought them to lounge at home but she still gave herself a pat on the back for packing them. Then again she was wearing the last pair of clean leggings she had, luckily laundry day was tomorrow.

Grabbing her tote bag Tina rushed downstairs holding the car keys out "I'll drive." she offered with a smile, her face was still flushed and Linda could all but laugh "Yes hun." she agreed as they waved goodbye to Bob and Louise still inside the restaurant bickering over the menu board.

On the drive out to the warehouse Linda browsed a magazine she'd brought with her. As she parked Tina stole a glance over and surely enough her mother was still looking over the same two pages. While her mother talked up the old couple Tina leaned against the car taking a deep breath. She secretly hoped it would rain today, she liked gloomy days at home. Back in New York rainy days were hardly a call to stay home or to partake in ant of the comforts she'd grown up with.

It had been a while since she'd taken to this pace of life. It made her nostalgic. Still she wondered how everyone back home was up to, were her old college roommates already moving into their new apartments? Was Duncan still headstrong on not visiting his parents this summer? For a split second they had been something. A fling really. They'd ended up attending the same University and through coincidence ended up at a friends house party. That had been her sophomore year. Tina shook her head at the resurgence of those memories, what would her childhood friends think about her and Duncan?

Hearing her mother's voice Tina pushed the though aside, it wasn't an issue really that rollercoaster had ended months ago. Loading the frier into the back of the car they simultaneously shut the back doors and took a moment to catch their breaths. Popping back into their seats Tina turned the key while her mother sifted through her purse "You know..." she began before finding what she'd been rummaging for "There's this gorgeous shop just a few blocks away and we're not due to be home till noon." she beamed one of those smiles that easily made even her doubtful father agree to anything.