5. Tinder Timer

A DYSTOPIAN ROMANCE STORY.

It had been two long years of waiting for my soulmate, Eli. 

The one-world government had implemented the red-pencil doctrine to curb the younger generation's glorification of meaningless sexual encounters while blatantly disregarding family and social-ethical values. 

This was our new world. Our new normal. Behave as instructed and you'll be rewarded with a Happily Ever After.

To match the perfect couples, the government conducted a DNA match profiling with innovative technology that gave a ninety-nine percent accuracy in how your offspring would look. It was fascinating and heart-stopping when one received that blue folder icon next to your profile picture on your Tinder app since it contained all the information about your future.

Everything had to be perfect today because I was set to meet my forever prince in just four hours. 

I had my knee-length, off-the-shoulder floral print dress pressed to perfection. My white sandals were suitable for our beach meet location, and I pinned a pink camellia flower next to my ear that made me stand out. I chose waterproof makeup on the chance that if I were overcome with emotion when I met my partner, Eli, I'd still look beautiful.

I arrived at the meeting point on Adoria Island, sat on a secluded bench on the beach, and watched the gentle waves ripple toward the reddish-orange sunset on the horizon. 

I crossed and recrossed my legs while stealing countless glances at my timer; three minutes, two fifty-nine, two fifty-eight... Two minutes... Screen freeze.

My heart stopped. My throat constricted and my gasps were short and fast. I began incessantly pushing the timer icon to get the countdown to continue, but my screen was frozen. 

"Somebody help!" I cried out in a cracked voice, waving my arms frantically while scoping the beach area for the nearest government assistance post. "Please! My timer has to continue. I've waited for two years!" My chin trembled as my cheeks got wet with tears, and no one came to my rescue.

"Luisa! Luisa!" I heard a voice call out softly, and warm hands embraced me from behind.

"Eli?" I took a deep breath and turned around.

"No, goofus. It's me, your roommate, Anna. You are having some kind of nightmare. You interrupted my Netflix n' chill."

I rubbed my eyes in disbelief. My hands were clammy and feverish, and my pajamas were wet with sweat. I looked at my bedside table where my phone was charging, grabbed it at lightning speed, and opened Tinder.

There was no timer. Instead, there was a captivating close-up of a guy with coppery brown tresses, jade green eyes, an accentuated jawline, and sun-kissed skin.

I swiped right and asked if he wanted to meet, and he replied yes.

"It's 3 am on a Monday, Luisa," Anna commented.

"I know, roomie. But after the dream I just had, I have to." I answered while getting ready to meet Axel, who turned out to be my version of Eli because one year later, we were still hopelessly in love.