1. Red Wolf

JAXON

It was the afternoon of our college graduation party—the last hoorah before I took over the role of Alpha of the Zillon pack.

I watched my mate and future Luna, Ashina, strut her long, limber, olive-brown legs and then wrap her arms around my neck once she was within reach. "Will you be there to enjoy the party or make it in time to clean up the empty red cups?" She tiptoed to kiss me.

"Ty and I will be twenty minutes late. We have to help coach Benjy lock up the gym, and then you and I will settle the debate about who's better at beer pong." I placed an adoring kiss on her silky auburn tresses. 

"Don't keep me waiting, handsome." She winked. A sultry smile tugging at the corner of her lips as her friends dragged her out of the school complex.

⭐︎

Something was off at the campfire site. 

I scented my mate's fear and panic as we cleared the mist-shrouded forest and neared the campfire site. The sky was thick with white smoke instead of the red-orange glow from burning embers.

Hurry! I felt her summoning me.

I started sprinting and shifted into my ferocious grey wolf form midair. My sharp claws scraped the earth as I became one with the wind. My heart quaked faster. My sharp fangs flashed white in the moonlight as I howled to alert Ashina and scare whoever wanted to harm her.

The crowds scattered like flies as I screeched to a terrifying halt. My yellow eyes glowed murderous red when I saw Ashina's motionless wolf lying on the mossy forest floor with four arrows on her hind legs. Her breathing was shallow and labored, like a mountain climber's gasps at high altitude.

I cradled Ashina, my paws gently caressing her buttery soft fur. "I'm here, my love. I will pull out the arrows so you can heal." I whispered, stilling my raging forearms to keep her comfortable. I was maddened to rip to shreds whoever had dared to attack my woman.

Her glowing ambers were dull and glassy when she opened her eyes. It killed me to see her in pain.

My beta gathered information about the rival pack that had planned the attack on my mate.

"Cowards!" I spat on the ground, my veins strung tight with revenge, my heel crushing the steps outside our house. "They attack a woman because they are afraid of fighting me?" My vice grip on the wooden handrail tightened, and splinters of the brown polished staircase fell to the floor.

"Save your anger for your enemies," Ty reined me in. "Ready to pay them a visit?"

"You don't have to ask me twice," I cracked my knuckles, "but I think my queen will want in on the fun when she wakes up."

"I do." Ashina startled us.

I cocked my head and saw her looking majestic at the entrance. She commanded us, "Get ready, Zillion wolves. We will tint our furs red with their blood tonight."