4. The Choice

The decision weighing on Leila's mind was not just life-changing, it was also soul-searching. 

Should she stay with Matt, her condescending boyfriend of two years, and accept his marriage proposal? Or should she return to school and accept a first date with Jake?

Leila had taken a gap year at her community college to focus on her one-year relationship with her childhood sweetheart. They had practically lived around each other since kindergarten, and she thought this was a perfect foundation for a romantic coupling. But now she realized it took more than familiarity to make things work in real life.

After she'd agreed to date Matt and subsequently move in with him, things progressively deteriorated. But her faith in their friendship was the voice in the back of her head, always whispering... Patience is a virtue. Love conquers all.

Leila did not realize that she and Matt were two individuals walking in the opposite direction. Every effort she made for better communication, empathy, and conflict resolution was wasted because Matt was passive-aggressive, incompassionate, and provoking.

And that motivated Leila to try even harder.

It was not until Leila went to register for the next academic school year that a new window of opportunity opened for her. 

While waiting outside the guidance counselor's office, a roguish, blue-eyed, hockey-jacket-wearing college student-athlete passed by her before taking a seat in the chrome three-seater waiting chairs outside. 

Everything about him screamed I'd rather be anywhere but here. His body language oozed with annoyance and arrogance. He was undoubtedly used to the royalty treatment on and off the ice, but GC treated all students as equals.

Leila snickered and rolled her eyes in disbelief. Pondering how many people would love to be in college but never get the opportunity.

"What is it, sweetheart? Don't you like the way I walk?" 

Leila's judgemental eyes widened in horror when she realized he'd been watching her. Her head scrambled for an answer that would lead to de-escalation–mitigate the potential problems–just as she'd been accustomed to when dealing with Matt.

Then a light bulb went off in her head to try something new. To say what she feels as opposed to what the other person would want her to say. "Why do you have to act like an ass when many people beg for the chance to be where you are?" 

Jake rested his back on the chairs as if repulsed by her comment repulsed, but he stared at her in bewilderment. "Do you always talk to people you don't know like this?" he queried, intrigue mirroring his gaze.

"No. I don't." Leila answered truthfully.

"Then don't stop. It's refreshing." He extended his defined arm. "Hi, I'm Jake."

She shook his hand and introduced herself, and thus a new friendship was born. They talked about all things life, school, and sports every day after class.

As Matt witnessed Leila becoming an independent, stronger woman, his fear of being alone prompted him to propose. And at the same time, Jake fell in love with the new Leila and asked her out on a date.