1

The satisfying click rang through my ears once again today. I had just arrived home after another mind-numbing day at work doing the same things over and over.

Slumping onto my couch I pulled my phone out of my pocket before flinging my shoes off my feet as I began to get comfortable. I habitually opened the online app I used to read novels and began to scroll through the books in my library, much to my disappointment none of the books I was most interested in reading had been updated yet so I scrolled through my recommended reads. Yes, I did have other books I could read in my library but I just didn't fancy reading them right now.

After about a minute of skimming over the synopsizes of many books one caught my attention. It was a novel about the apocalypse. Interesting!

Normally I don't read this kind of novel but for some reason, I was attracted to the plot from what I had read so far, so I started to binge-read the novel. It was a completed story so I prepared some snacks and a few energy drinks because I'm not sleeping tonight until I finish this book!

The basic plot is centred around a teenage boy who grows up in the apocalypse but still has a happy childhood until the villain appears, the villain is a boy a few years older than the main character but he was much less fortunate than the main character. The villain was 5 when the zombie outbreak happened, he was the only child to a single mom who worked 3 jobs to support them both up until the world's end. Sadly she couldn't continue to support the young villain as she died in a zombie attack after being betrayed when the villain was only 6. This is the main reason for the villain's blackening because after the death of his mother the 'comrades' she died for left him to fend for himself and refused to even let him have his mother's only remnant, a mysterious jade pendant. Having been forced to grow up in such a harsh environment after the only person who ever loved him was murdered, he hated how the protagonist had such a happy childhood and such a great family that is still alive to look after him.

After I finished the book I couldn't stop crying, the villain was such a poor child! All he ever wanted was to be loved but the world wouldn't let him have that! My eyes were glued to the last chapter, reading it over and over, especially the paragraph where he reveals his motive and tragic backstory... If only I could have been there for him, I would have made sure to protect him and stay alive to shower him with my love and care!

With this thought in mind, I fell asleep in the living room with the last chapter still glowing on my screen and a soggy cushion drowned in my salty tears as my pillow.

What I never expected though is that when I woke up the next day it was in the body of that pitiful villain's mother who dies before the story even starts! At first, I was confused when I woke up to the milky call of a little boy that referred to me as mommy. Glancing around the debilitated apartment, the musty smell of mould and the metallic smell of alcohol clinging to the faded work uniform I was dressed in with the name of some bar I didn't recognize attacked my stinging nostrils. Then my head began to pound and I clutched it in an attempt to numb the stabbing pain in my head that soon after robbed my consciousness much to my dismay as I heard the milky voice from earlier crying for me, the last thing I saw was his brown furry head then my vision disappeared. As I lay in my sleeping state I saw a movie-like projection in my mind, it was the memories of this body's life, that's when I realized what had happened and who I now was! I'd become the villain's short-lived mother!

Upon the dawn of this idea, I began to regain consciousness and as I did I saw my son desperately clinging to me and softly whimpering a plea for me to be ok. I don't know if it's because of my previous pity for the villain or because I took over the body of his mother but I could feel the maternal instincts in me screaming to comfort my little bun which I did with haste.

"Danny, look at me I'm fine..." I whispered into my son's ear as I slowly sat up and hugged the boy close. I could feel his tensed muscles relax in my hold and I noticed his beautiful purple eyes peering at me with love and respect.
"Mommy, mommy, I'm so glad you're ok..." he whispered as I saw him deflate as sleep took hold of him.

I gently nestled him in my embrace, lightly swaying back and forth as I hummed a gentle song to help my baby sleep comfortably. I knew based on the fact my Danny is 5 and the current date that there are only a few weeks left before the apocalypse begins and the world goes to hell. So I need to begin to prepare!

Because I read the book I know everything important that is going to happen to start in 5 years when Danny is 10 and the main character is 8 for 10 years because the book spans over the time the protagonist is 8 till 18.

Using this knowledge I plan to look after my little bun and safely take him in a warm and loving environment, regardless of whether there is or isn't a zombie outbreak! So I start making my preparations.

First I rang my 3 jobs and quit after asking for my last wage to be paid into my account.

----------

Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter!