10

He took the boy from my arms without wasting a beat.

"Thank you..." he quietly murmured as he held the boy flush to his chest with desperation only known to those who have thought they lost a dear family member before they then miraculously realised that they were alive and well.

His love and care for his younger brother were obvious as he hugged him in his arms, lightly rubbing circles on his back.

Having seen the smaller boy return to his brother I glanced over at my bun and saw that he was much happier than earlier, I guess he was worried about his new friend. At the thought, a smile graced my lips and I hugged my bun closer before giving him a peck on his forehead.

Danny blushed a little from embarrassment, he is 10 now so it wasn't too surprising. What did surprise me was the older boy's question when he saw our interaction.

"Is that your younger brother too?" the older boy asked. I know I only look 25/26 but it still surprised me that he guessed I was Danny's older sister rather than his mother.
"No dear, this is Danny, my son," I introduced them with a giggle before continuing, "What's your name dear?"
"Oh, I'm sorry you don't look old enough to have a son so old that's all! My name is Ando, thank you again for saving my little brother," Ando said with a face flushed from embarrassment.
"It's fine, I know I don't look my age," I said without explaining further, but my thoughts started to wander.

I don't seem to age anymore but Danny is just going to keep getting older. What"ll happen in 10 or so years when Danny looks the same age as I do or even older than me? Will he dislike that I'm different from other people?

As I let my thoughts consume me I didn't realise Danny had jumped out of my arms and approached the two other boys.

Daniel's pov

A boy who looks a few years younger than me ran towards us crying; I thought he was cute until he stole my mother's attention.

He was telling my mum something whilst he cried in her arms and I couldn't help frowning over how she worried over him, she's my mum, not his! Before long he had fallen asleep on her and mum finally remembered she had her own son. When she started asking me what was wrong I pretended to be fine then she tried to tease me by asking if I was jealous of her making friends with the crying bag. I was jealous but not of her so I reacted strongly by accident as I yelled at her. I realised that is yelled at her for the first time and felt horrible as I saw her face.

Running over to her, I hugged her as I apologized for yelling at her, the guilt I felt was terrible.

Suddenly I realized that the crying bag had been nuzzled into my mother's neck so I did the same to claim her back as mine like mam said cats do. It was childish but I don't care, he can't have my mam!

I always knew mam was special, she's so pretty and she doesn't get older like other people, since a few years ago. I refuse to let anyone take her from me even if it's a cute boy like the crying bag!

We were having a moment bonding when she suddenly brought that boy up again and I couldn't help pouting again.

She asked me why I was upset again but I avoided the question before muttering under my breath, "You just like this new boy more than me." I realised afterwards that she could hear my complaint as she reassured me that she loved me and that I was irreplaceable and the only son she wanted which made me feel better and caused me to tolerate the boy in my mother's other arm as she carried us both.

It wasn't long until we saw a crowd of fools and in the centre of the disruption was the crying bag's older brother. Mum confirmed that he was the boy's brother and handed him off which caused a genuine smile to appear on my face which mam noticed.

She squeezed me with a hug before kissing my forehead which caused me to flush in shame, there was a stranger who saw! Mum just laughed silently at my embarrassment until the background character suddenly spoke up rudely and asked if I was my mother's brother! Mum just laughed it off though before explaining I was her child, then I learnt the extra's name was Ando. After accepting this boy's apology for his mistake mam started to drift into her thoughts so I jumped down from her arms and approached the two brothers.

"Keep a better eye on that crying bag," I said as I stood face-to-face with the Ando boy.
"What?" was his reply, much to my annoyance.
"I said, to look after your brother more carefully, there won't always be someone like my mother to save him," I calmly expressed, my annoyance obvious in my voice.

Ever so timely, the small boy woke up as I said this. He saw his brother whose arms he was in and his face broke into a smile that shone brightly enough to blind someone. Seeing as the nuisance was now awake I addressed him directly.

"Your back with your brother so don't get lost again like an idiot."
"Hey! That's mean..." the crying bag pouted back, his eyes turned red at the edges once again as he looked to be on the verge of tears.
Suddenly I felt the urge to tease the boy till he cried, so I did, "What, I'm not wrong. Or is it that you weren't lost but purposefully got chased by zombies until you met me and my mother?"

----------

Hope you enjoyed reading the chapter!