0 2

Since it was Saturday, Darry and Sodapop were working. I had work that day too, but I didn't have to be there until 3. It was about 2 when we got home, so I had to get ready.

"Pony, you'll have to fix something for yourself, I can't make lunch today, I gotta go to work."

"Well, what are you gonna eat?" He asked.

I smiled. "Don't worry about me, I'll eat at the diner or something."

In all honesty, I wasn't really hungry. I had eaten too much popcorn and candy at the movie theatre.

I went to my room, next to Soda and Pony's room, and got changed into my uniform.

It was a short-sleeve, maroon Polo-style shirt with a white tuxedo collar. It didn't have a skirt to go with it, so I usually just wore one I thought would look good. Today, I wore a pleated black one. I pulled my light brown, almost red hair into a high ponytail and put my work hat in my purse.

I walked out and saw Pony watching TV on the couch. I gave him a quick kiss on the top of his head. "Don't get into too much trouble today, okay?" I said jokingly. He rolled his eyes, smiled, and nodded.

"Have fun!" I heard him say half-sarcastically before I let the door slam behind me.

The road to work wasn't long, but it could take a while on foot, maybe half an hour, give or take. Since we only had one car and Darry usually took it, I had gotten accustomed to walking to work every day.

It was a bit chilly that day, and I meant to bring the sweater I was wearing earlier but left it on my bed. Idiot, I thought as I shivered and rubbed my arms.

I walked past the park where little kids were playing, and I smiled, remembering my own childhood.

Mom and I would often go to the park with the boys, and whenever Dad wasn't working he would come too. The four of us loved to play on the jungle gym, though when Darry got to be about nine or ten, he got too tall to go inside and would just sit on top mocking the rest of us.

I smiled happily at the memory of Mom and Dad and found myself touching my necklace. I had always loved it and I remember when I was about eight or nine, Mom promised that I would get it when she died.

I just wish it wouldn't have happened as soon as it did.

I wore that necklace every day and only took it off to shower or go to bed. I didn't want it to break or rust. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to it.

It almost broke one time, a few months ago, and when looking at a scar on the palm of my hand, I'm reminded of a memory that makes me shiver. I push it to the back of my brain and continue walking.

I checked my watch, a delicate, minimalistic one with a golden leather wristband that also belonged to my mother, and the time read 2:50. I look up to see the familiar red tin roof of the diner about a block away and knew I wasn't going to be late.

I was a fast walker when I wanted to be.

~

(Pony's POV)

Cary had been gone for about an hour when I got bored of the TV and decided to walk around for a little bit, maybe go to the DX and buy a Pepsi or hang out with Soda and Steve for a bit. I didn't know, I was just bored.

I ran into Curly Shepard on the way there. He was with a few of his gang and tossed me a cigarette. Cary would kill me if she saw me smoking, but you don't just turn down a cigarette from Curly. It would make you look weak, and a Greaser doesn't want to look weak.

He was acting strange, almost nervous and happy at the same time. "So, uh, Pony..." he said.

I looked at him suspiciously. "Yeah?"