14|The fear

A series of knocks on the door woke up Abhi from his sleep

A series of knocks on the door woke up Abhi from his sleep. He groaned in frustration on why the universe is so keen on not letting him sleep lately. He rubbed his eyes upon noticing a silhouette of a female standing at the entrance. His senses were alert but It took him a minute to understand who that person was as his vision was blurry with the sudden jerk from sleep.

There stood Sangeetha with food packets in her hands. Without any sound, she entered the room, switched on the room lights and placed the food packets on the bedside table. He glanced at the wall clock and it was post 1:00 am. She was looking everywhere in the room. Abhi sensed it and said, "Washroom is to your left and you can find something to wear in that wardrobe."

Sangeetha was taken back a little as he guided her on exactly what she wanted without her voicing it out. She nodded her head in gratitude and dashed towards the washroom.

Meanwhile Abhi was still processing why she was here. 'Didn't she say that she will go somewhere else? Then why is she here? Especially, she showed up with the food packets in her hands. Did she hear my stomach growling in the call? Even though she heard it, is it her responsibility to look after me? Does she care for me?', the last thought was comforting Abhi in ways unknown. The feeling was alienated yet so satisfying. No one put an effort for him before except for Rishi and Mamatha. 

Fifteen minutes later, Sangeetha exited from the washroom after freshening up. She was wearing a light blue kitty-night dress that ended two inches above her knee. She looked cute. 'Oh really?' Abhi's subconscious mocked him.

"I brought the food for you Mr. Abhijith. Put your ego aside and have it." Sangeetha said noticing the untouched food packets.

Abhi smiled at her comment and asked her, "You said you need to go somewhere else. Then why this sudden change of plan." However, deep inside he was expecting her to reply that she cared for him.

"Oh that! It was already very late by the time I finished my work at the hospital today and it would take too long to reach there. As your place is near to my work place, I headed towards here. On my way home, I came across a dhaba which was open. I remembered your stomach growling during our call. So I brought the food parcel." Sangeetha explained.

Lie, everything is a lie. There was no restaurant on the way home. She had to drive extra miles to bring food for him as all restaurants were closed at that late hour. It was not new for her to go to her place at late hours. It's just an excuse that his place was near to her hospital. She convinced herself that she was doing this as she knew the value of hunger, as she wanted no one to stay hungry and not because she cared for him.

Her answer disappointed Abhi a little, hence he replied plainly, "Oh!"

"Did you plan to bring any woman in the absence of your wife? You sounded very low Mr. Abhijith", Sangeetha mocked him, sensing his low and plain reply.