legitimate mental illness pt 1

She had arrived in the Maldovian palace three months before. Her father had sent her as a political hostage. Or was royal guest the term he used? Not that it mattered. 

She was stuck in this proverbial den of vipers until negations over the King's trading road were concluded. Until then,  she was meant to smile and curtsy and behave as the paragon of good faith her father had asked her to play. 

It was just past dusk and she was slipping out through the servants exit into the garden, with a single candle to light her way. She closed the door to the servants' stairs with care, though there was no need. The guards assigned to her had grown lax in their duties as soon as they realized she wouldn't try to run. Her father would just send her back, not only to continue feigning interest in peace, but because the Crown Prince of Maldovia was unwed. 

Her father was not clever in his ruse, they both knew that her marriage to either of the princes meant harbor for her own country from any attack, that an ally found in the Maldovian Empire was just as formidable as a great army or a mile long fortress. Her home land of Anatol would be untouchable, and any heir that would come from the union would be a successor to both thrones. 

She understood her fathers aim more than she cared to admit, but there was no hope for a marriage, let alone a betrothal, when the crown prince was nothing more than an arrogant scoundrel. 

~<3~

The day she arrived, she had feigned niceties and curtsied just as she had been taught. She was dressed in a lush juniper dress, meant to compliment her sun kissed skin and hazel eyes. She had her mothers necklace adorning her neck, an emerald wrapped in golden vines and embellished with smaller emeralds in place of leaves. Her raven hair was done up in an elaborate style. A true Anatolian Daliah, she was called.

The castle was large and masterful in its craft, adorned with whites and silvers. When she reached the throne room, she noticed the emperor first, seated on a throne that demanded attention. His wife was seated on a throne next to him and his two sons standing upon the dais. The prince to his immediate right must be his oldest, the crown prince. He was pale like his father, with a head of obsidian curls and eyes that matched. The younger prince took after the empress, his eyes brown as a forest and his hair the color of sunlight. She walked up to the foot of the dais and greeted him with a deep curtsy. The Maldovian Emperor welcomed her warmly.

"Princess Cayatana," he greeted. He introduced his sons afterwards, the crown prince, Viseris and his brother, Stavros. He mentioned that he had planned a ball for her arrival and that they might become better acquainted once the festivities began. 

Though she kept her face schooled, Cayatana immediately understood his meaning. It seems that there was a mutual understanding between himself and the Anatolian King. For it was much easier to conquer a country through a simple marriage than a taxing war. 

The afternoon came and went, the ball had began. The Emperor and Empress were introduced first. A chorus of "long may he reign," echoed throughout the ball room. Once the crown prince and his younger brother were announced, Cayatana's introduction followed. The Emperor found his seat on the throne, the Empress followed suit and the Princes came to stand at their parents' sides. 

Cayatana stood at the base of the dais, waiting for the Emperor to signal the night's commencement. With a wave of his hand, the musicians began to play, aristocrats began swarming the dance floor. Many beelined right for her, eager to meet the Anatolian Princess. 

Half way through the festivities Cayatana excused herself, claiming lightheadedness. There were too many people she didn't know and too many vipers trying to make her acquaintance. 

Cayatana's eyes scanned the room, their search ending when she saw a pair of French doors at the other end of the hall. She had managed to slip between the bustle of people with relative ease once the Emperor rose for a speech. As soon as she reached the doors, Cayatana pushed them open to reveal a terrace. 

It was small, intimate. A forgotten thing with its railings overrun with vines and small flowers. In ten paces she reached the edge of the balcony's balustrade, her hands circling around the foliage beneath her palms. She exhaled until her lungs were empty, refilling them with the crisp night air. She could see the entire garden from here, even cast in the moon's faint glow it was stunning. The faint smile that graced her face dissolved as soon as a deep voice spoke.

"Did you follow me out here?" 

Cayatana quickly turned, finding the crown prince a handful of feet away with a scowl marring his features. There went her moment of respite. 

She gave a quick curtsy in greeting.

"Forgive me your highness, I had not known anyone would be out here as well."

Crossing his arms over his broad chest, he rolled his eyes.

"You may save your excuses, Princess," he said. Now it was Cayatana's turn to scowl. 

"I beg you pardon?" she said, stepping towards him. The anger in her gaze was palpable. 

Ignoring her, he continued, "Do not presume that I am unable to see through your ruse. What ever your schemes, you should abandon them now." 

Her temper spiking, Cayatana responded curtly, "Your Highness, I have not the faintest clue what you are saying." 

"Do you truly expect me to believe that? You are the sole heir to the Anatolian throne," Viseris said. He was smirking now. 

Cayatana wanted to claw the smile off of his face.  

"I am sure you have opposition to your crown from every angle, and I cannot fault you for looking at an alliance with the Maldovian Empire," He continued. "But allow me to save us both the trouble." At that, he leaned down.

"I am not interested in a wife, let alone a scheming princess," he whispered. 

Cayatana could feel the steam leaving her ears. What an arrogant bastard.

She leaned back, enough to acknowledge the mere inches separating them and the sardonic smile still tugging at his lips. 

"The feeling is mutual, your Highness," she practically spat her words. "I have no interest in a husband with a reputation no better than a common harlot." 

She watched her mark land, watched as the smile slip off his face, as a frown took root. She fought her own smile at the sight. 

"Those are baseless lies," Viseris growled. 

"Do you truly expect me to believe that?" She threw his words back in his face, smiling as she did. 

His frown only intensified as his eyebrows knit together, "You forget who you address." 

"I do not believe I have, your Highness." She said his title like it was an insult, his expression revealed that he took it as such. 

"I could make your time here feel like a nightmare, do you understand that?" His words were a clear threat, yet Cayatana felt no fear. In fact, she felt emboldened. 

"I understand it with the same clarity I know the sky to be blue, yes." She knew she was taunting him, but she no longer cared. 

"There will be no coming back from this," his tone was low as he said this. 

"I should imagine not," Cayatana replied.

"It will be your undoing, Princess," Viseris declared.

Cayatana let her eyes flick down to his lips, just long enough for him to notice her action, before she brought them back to meet his gaze. "Perhaps it will be yours, Viseris." 

His name on her lips unnerved him, just as it did her, but she refused to dwell on it. 

Before he could form a reply, she gave him a small bow and pushed the doors back into the ball room. Maybe she would prefer a den of real vipers after all.  

~<3~