legitimate mental illness pt 2

Cayatana descended the servant's stairs carefully. Though there was enough dim light coming through the scattered windows, she brought a lit candle along, clutching it with great care. She needed a break after her day of arguing with the crown prince.

Since that night on the terrace, he had been striking low and she had been striking lower. Since neither could outright challenge the other to a duel, they engaged in battles of wit or sportsman ship. 

Just that day, he had bested her in archery, and she had demolished him during a debate on the continent's history. Their quarrel had the pair of them nearly yelling mere inches apart, neither abating until the second Prince, Stavros, interfered by literally pulling his brother back. 

Catching her breath, Cayatana bowed to leave, remarking that Viseris may want to brush up on his history given his station. Such a comment did not sit well with him, but she had exited the room before he could retort. 

It seemed she was still inflamed from their argument when she remained wide awake after two hours of trying to find sleep. With nothing better to do she rose from her bed, threw a cloak over her night gown and pulled on a pair of outdoor slippers. 

Now she was traipsing her way through a darkened corridor just to get her mind off of — she shook her head, absent mindedly reaching for the necklace resting on her chest. She really needed some fresh air. 

The creak of the door to the stairs snapped her out of her thoughts. Damn. 

She quickly blew out her candle and remained perfectly still. It wouldn't be ideal for her to be caught like this by one of the staff, let alone a guard. They had only recently begun allowing her to roam around freely. At first glance she looked like she was planning to flee, but perhaps she could talk her way out of it. After all, who would run away dressed in nothing but a cloak and walking slippers? Yes, she was sure she could explain this away. Turning slowly, she decided to make her way back up the stairs. 

The stairs creaked as she shifted her weight. Rude. Then a voice called out, asking who was there, and she abandoned all her plans. 

Cayatana rushed down the stairs, candle still in hand.

Damn it!

The steps falling behind gained on her until she felt an arm around her waist, picking her off the step and pushing her towards the wall beside the stairwell. 

He was too close, too — "Unhand me!" she exclaimed. 

"Caya–Princess?" Viseris's voice came out shocked, but he did not let her go. "What are you doing," he questioned. 

"I could ask you the same thing, Highness," Cayatana replied, squirming in his grasp. 

"Not that it pertains to you, but I was going to garden. I require some fresh air." 

Oh good heavens, he must be jesting. 

"I was going to do the same," she confessed. 

"How convenient," he accused.

"I had left before you, how could I have possibly plotted this?" 

"Such knowledge is beyond me, though I am sure you have your methods." Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness just enough that she could see his disbelieving stare. She hoped he could see hers in return.

"You are impossible," she chastised. Then all at once she realized that every one of her mangled breathes put her flush against him. "Now, unhand me! I could be compromised!"

"But wouldn't that aid your cause all the more?" He was teasing her, but he stepped back all the same. 

Though he had done as she asked, she did would not let his slight go unpunished. Without hesitation, she brought her foot down on his, effectively stepping on him. 

"You spoiled little—" he began.

"Hold your tongue!" she chastised. "Now if you'll excuse me," she said as she stepped down. 

"Wait!" he yelled, reaching for her. 

She was prepared to ignore him before she felt the lack of a step beneath her foot. She leaned back to brace herself, allowing Viseris to pull her to safety with ease. 

She toppled onto him, practically falling onto his lap as they both sat upon the stair case. His arms were wrapped around her as she clutched his tunic for purchase, the aftershock of nearly falling still passing through her body in a light tremor.

"One of the servants reported a broken step in the late evening," he explained, "they are to fix it tomorrow morning."

"You should have told me," she whispered, still clasping his tunic.

"Oh, now I am the one with clairvoyance?" The sarcasm was heavy in his tone. 

"Now is not the time to jest," she said as she swatted his chest. 

"Were you not the one who began?" 

"You drive me mad," she complained. 

"As do you," he said. His voice was low, almost resembling a confession. 

Suddenly their compromising position dawned on her. He still had his arms wrapped around her, his hands steady on her sides, and she was still fisting her hands in the fabric above his chest. His broad, hard—

"Un-unhand me," her words came out with less bite than she intended. 

"As soon as you unhand me, I would be glad to help you up and rid my sight of you." 

"Oh." She wished the ground would swallow her whole.  

Quickly lifting them both, Viseris instinctively reached for Cayatana's hand to pull her up. Instinctively, she accepted it. After a moment, their hands were still intertwined. 

It seemed to be Viseris's turn to question the precarious state they were in and pull his palm back. Yet, Cayatana's eyes were fixed on where his hand had just been, on the warmth that was now gone. 

"I bid you goodnight, Princess," he said. 

Cayatana nodded, choosing to ignore the fact that his voice was rougher than it had been mere moments before and gave a small curtsey before running up the stairs. 

~<3~

She did not stop running until she had reached her chamber. Cayatana pressed her back to the door, closing it as she caught her breath. 

Sleep would not find her that night. 

~<3~