Chapter 59- Hunter

Valeria started the next day just the same as any other. It was time to report to Bhavana and see what she needed help with just as always. On one hand, the monotony was good since it meant nobody would get hurt. On the other, Valeria knew that there were people back in Nantae that needed help— help that she could give them. But there was no way to do anything. Valeria put on her equipment and headed to the main hall. Upon opening the doors, she, strangely enough, didn't see Bhavana. Usually, she'd be around in the mornings. Naborea, however, was there, so Valeria figured she'd be able to answer her questions about her new discoveries just as well.

    Naborea looked over at Valeria and smiled. "Decided to wake up?"

    "Huh?" Valeria blinked.

    "It's almost noon," Naborea giggled. "Well, hope you had a good rest."

    "Uh, yeah," Valeria awkwardly replied, knowing that her night was filled mostly with moping around more than anything. Then, she remembered what Yue had told her about the monsters. "Oh, by the way, have you seen any strange marks on the monsters we've been takin' out? Like, sort of near their shoulders."

    "Strange marks?" Naborea knit her brow in thought. "Nothing really stands out to me."

    "Ah, alright," Valeria nodded. "I heard a rumour that the Light Elves were trying to control the infected monsters, afflicting them with a strange spell that left residual marks around their shoulders."

    "Who did you hear that from?" Naborea inquired, tilting her head in curiosity. "Was it from your boyfriend?"

     "Huh? I don't have a boyfriend," Valeria waved her hand in denial. "Why would you think that?"

    Even though Naborea had asked with utmost sincerity, Valeria couldn't help but feel as if she was teasing her. But, after years of being conditioned by her younger brother Noah and the nosiness of her parents to play defence whenever the question of whether she had a boyfriend or not, Valeria automatically denied the allegations. It was always a bit of a sore spot for her— especially now.

    "Because of how happy you looked when you got those letters from earlier," Naborea explained. "Also you did ask for Dream Incense so..."

    "How do you know I wasn't talking to a girl?" Valeria crossed her arms.

    "Oh, sorry!" Naborea became flustered. "So, you heard the rumour from your girlfriend—"

     "No, not that either," Valeria shook her head, resting it in her hands in exasperation. "His name is Yue, and he's from Wēifēng. Long story short, he just liberated Xiàlíng from the Light Elves and has been running into some strange things out there. He's my friend, okay? I don't have time to think about this!"

    "Okay," Naborea accepted, unphased by Valeria's emotional response.

    Valeria let out a short exhale of relief, knowing the topic was finally dealt with. Even though dealing with the monsters was tedious, it was a whole lot less stressful than confronting her feelings.

     "Do you love him?" Naborea casually inquired.

     Valeria threw up her head and let out a sigh. It didn't seem like Naborea was about to stop anytime soon, but she just couldn't take it at the moment.

     "Let it go!" Valeria snapped, her hands clenched in fists.

     Naborea stood silently, mouth slightly agape, holding her hand to her chest. Valeria wanted to continue on and on, but seeing the expression on Naborea's face, she decided to stop. Perhaps she came on a little too strong.