1. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"Relax, I'm just having fun" she spat out drunkenly over the blaring music. Sucking my teeth, I sat back on the couch releasing my grip from her arm.

'Having fun' she says. It was embarrassing, to say the least. She was always having fun and leaving me to watch after her sloppy ass. I had to monitor her drinking, monitor her dancing, monitor everything her alcoholic ass did. If I could drink away all my problems until I passed the fuck out, I would; instead, I had to play babysitter to a grown-ass woman.

I sighed and picked up my drink, trying my best not to notice her vulgar choice of dancing. All eyes are on Michelle, per usual.

As much as I wanted to leave at times like this, I knew I couldn't. I needed her and she needed me. At least that's what I'd keep telling myself.

The relationship we had was different. My life was built on inconsistencies. I had no family, distant friends, and a job that saw me as a number. Michelle was the only consistent thing I had.

No matter what either of us went through, she had my back. When I was on the street with no support, she was there. When depression set in and I needed a shoulder to cry on, she was there. She loved me through it all. If the price was babysitting her at a bar, I felt it was worth paying.
That didn't mean it wasn't tiring as hell.

I'd only zoned out for a few moments and looked back up to see her gyrating with Celine.

Celine started as just a coworker, but then they started hanging out more often. One day they just became inseparable.

Their friendship was unnerving. She was overbearing, and aggressive and thought it was funny to constantly talk down on me. With every day I could feel them growing closer to one another. It was like an unspoken attraction blossoming. It made my stomach churn.

Finishing my drink, I decided to let her have fun and go find some shit to get myself into. I made sure to tap Sy'eer on the shoulder and tell him to keep an eye on her before making my way to the bar.

When I was finally able to slip past the crowd, I ordered myself some Cognac. The club scene was never my thing. I was short on cash, dressed as if I'd walked in off of the street, and nothing about this mosh pit of drunkies seemed fun to me. I needed to drown out all the noise.

After a few months of saving up, I could get a vehicle. After I got a vehicle, I could find a better job. When I started to make more money I could finally move Chelle out of that torn-down apartment. It was so close I could taste it.

The bartender finally sat my drink down in front of me. I let out a grunt, nodding at him before taking a long swig. The plan hadn't changed, it was just taking a bit longer to accomplish.

"You look like you got a lot on your mind" a small voice called out to me, barely audible. Squinting my eyes, I tried to put a face to it under the dark club lights. That voice was so familiar. "Daniel, right? Daniel Voss?"

I cocked my head, setting down my drink. "You know me?"

She let out a knowing mhm, before responding, "You know me too.".

My eyes scanned every detail of her ebony features. She had almond eyes, full lips, and a button nose that wrinkled as she gave me a childish grimace. That expression alone sparked a memory. Just as I opened my mouth, her gaze drifted to something behind me.

"Q!" Michelle shouted as she approached.

Cupid Addams, Q for short. She was Michelle's best friend when we first met. The two were thick as thieves in high school. She was never really fond of me, but she knew how to fake it for Chelle. That was all that mattered to me because I wasn't too fond of her either.

Years have passed since she left for California for college. It looked like she traded in her tomboy persona for lashes and heels. I almost didn't recognize her.

"Mimi! God, you look good!" She squealed hugging her tightly. "How are you?"

As they spoke amongst themselves, my eyes drifted over to Celine. She looked indifferent to the exchange. After a moment she caught my glance, twisting her face up into an ugly sneer. I scoffed in response before looking back at Q and Chelle.

"I see you two still going strong," Cupid said looking between us.

I gave a nod of confirmation, before hearing Celine's nagging ass cut in.

"Strong is an overstatement."

Michelle simply laughed, giving her a playful nudge. Q shot me a confused look, and I just turned away. My tolerance for the night had hit its limit.

"It was good seeing you Q. I'm bout to head home Michelle," I said paying my tab and taking out my phone to order a ride.

"Are you going to pay for our drinks before you go," Celine spoke up in a degrading tone.

"I got y'all," Sy'eer cut in walking up to the group. "I'll make sure they get home in one piece too."

"Thanks," I said giving him a nod.

Sy was like a brother to me. We weren't as close as we had been in the past but just like family he never strayed too far. It was Michelle's idea to hook him up with Celine, but it was clear he wasn't her type.

Michelle shot me an annoyed look as I stood, kissing her head. "See you at home," I grunted.

Cupid gently touched my arm and gave a weak smile. "It was good seeing you, Danny. Get home safe."

"Yeah," I muttered, brushing past her.

It was all so tiring. Trying to keep my spirits up surrounded by people who looked down on me. Everybody seemed to be staying afloat and breezing through life, then there was me. It was like trying to climb a wall made out of glass shards with my bare hands.

Celine and Michelle were enough, but having to see Cupid's pretentious face after all this time as well? It left a burning sensation in my chest the whole ride home.

Looking back I'm unsure if it was the anxiety from that encounter or if I could sense what was waiting for me at the apartment.

As the Uber pulled up, I could see the cop cars parked along the curb. I noticed the swarm of neighbors congregating around the steps. My heart started to pound as if I'd done something wrong, even though I was sure I hadn't. I knew something wasn't right.

I wanted to turn and leave, but my innocence pushed me forward. As soon as I approached the crowd, I could see a police officer in the distance lock eyes with me. Then, he approached me.

"Are you Daniel Voss?"

"Yeah, what- what's going on officer?" I stuttered nervously.

"Put your hands behind your back."

"Excuse me?" I questioned, taking a step back. He immediately grabbed me by my arm twisting it behind me.

"Hands behind your back. You're under arrest for embezzlement and conspiracy to commit fraud," he announced loudly snapping cuffs around my wrists.

"What!?" I shouted. "What are you talking about!?"

"You have the right to remain silent-", as he started to read me my rights my mind went blank. This couldn't be happening right now.

"You have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford an attorney one will be", he kept going like an automated machine. All his words started to blend like white noise as I thought it over.

Embezzlement? I was just a janitor for a bank. I didn't even come close to any money. I tried to make sense of it, tossing it back and forth in my mind as he escorted me to the back of his car. It didn't make any sense.

"Do you understand these rights as they have been explained?"

I didn't understand any of this. How was this happening right now? I felt like I was going to vomit.

"Yes or no?" He asked, pressing for a response. However, when I opened my mouth to speak the contents of my stomach came out instead.

Fuck.

Thank you for reading.
Please remember to vote/comment