8. 𝐅𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐆𝐮𝐲

Only about twenty minutes had passed since I called Q and she was already ringing the doorbell like a madman. I hopped up from the couch and opened the door for her.

"Who's house is this?" She asked before I could even open my mouth to speak.

I sighed, shaking my head. "It's a really long story. Can you just come in, I have something that might help my case and I figured I should share it with my lawyer."

As soon as I called her my lawyer, her eyes lit up.

"So you're doing it? You're going to fight the case?"

I stepped aside letting her in and shook my head. "Don't get too excited, it depends on just how helpful this information is."

"What is it?" She asked curiously. Silently, I pointed her to the folder. I could see the slight confusion on her face as she followed my finger. She furrowed her eyebrows looking at the folder then back at me as she walked to it picking it up. "What's in here?"

"I don't know yet," I said honestly. "I can't bring myself to open it."

I held my breath watching her open the folder. Her face was stone and expressionless as she fingered through some papers. "Who-"

"What? What is it," I questioned anxiously.

She took everything out and tossed the empty envelope aside. "Photos. Photos and bank statements."

"Mine?"

She shook her head then took one photo turning it around, "he was at the club with you the other night, wasn't he?"

I could have turned into stone when I saw the photo. It was a picture of three people leaving the back of the bank laughing and talking. They seemed to be very familiar with each other, it was strange. It couldn't be real.

Keith, Sarah, and Sy'eer looked like they were having a good ole time.

"What the hell," I muttered in confusion. "Give me that."

I grabbed the stack from her hands and started flipping through them. Multiple photos of the trio leaving together or coming in early. Statements from Sy'eers account showed deposits slowly being built up nearly reaching a six-figure number. How dumb was this nigga; he had an account with the bank!

Seeing them together wouldn't be so strange if they weren't all in different departments, with different backgrounds, and nowhere near each other in age. It suddenly made sense. Why Sy'eer was acting an ass and why they wanted me to plead guilty so quickly.

"There's no fucking way," I said frozen in horror.

They set me up and they didn't even do a good job. It was so messy and poorly executed, the only way to get away with it was to make somebody take the fall. I was the perfect victim too... Nothing to lose and no one to fight for.

"Where did you even get this," she asked peeking over my arm and looking through them with me. "This is major."

After we combed through the documents a few times I finally looked over at her, letting out a sigh. "Since you're my lawyer now, I'm going to tell you how fucking insane my day has been... but please just keep this between us. Don't tell Michelle, don't tell your friends or family. Just take this in."

"Okay," she breathed out feeling the intensity of the situation. I put the papers back in the envelope and we sat on the couch together.

"So, the person who gave me this envelope- the person who gave me this condo-," I started off opening my arms and gesturing to the space around us. She sat up straight as an arrow and cut me off.

"Gave you this condo?"

"Yes... I'm telling you it's the craziest shit I've ever experienced. It was my grand aunt," I explained running my hands over my face.

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "I thought you didn't have a family."

"I did too, but apparently I do. It's possible my grandmother may have been Elizabeth Fitzgerald," I said finally dropping the bomb. Her face twisted up as if she was trying to put a face to that name. "Eleanor Fitzgerald's sister. The Eleanor Fitzgerald that owns the bank I work at."

"Huh!?"

"That's exactly how I reacted."

"Thee Fitzgeralds!?" she shouted in disbelief.

"Yep."

"But, they're-"

"White," I interrupted. "Yeah, I know. But I guess my grandfather was black, and my dad was black... So it's possible" I explained. "That's what Eleanor told me."

She sat frozen in shock for a while. I could see it all starting to register. I saw suspicion growing in her eyes, then she turned to me.

"So Eleanor Fitzgerald is your grand-aunt. Great. But if she knows who stole the money why doesn't she just drop the charges against you? Why didn't she just call them out herself?"

The same question I'd just asked myself. I thought back to everything she'd said to me a few hours ago and scratched the back of my head. "She said once I cleared this situation up, we could move forward with my inheritance... maybe she's testing me."

"How much of an inheritance are you expecting though?" She said in a sort of knowing tone. I knew what she was thinking. The black grandchild couldn't possibly get that much of an inheritance.

That's when it finally all came crashing down on me. I could actually beat this case, and when I did there was an insane amount of money waiting for me on the other side. I looked up at Cupid with my heart pounding against my chest.

"Cupid, if I beat this charge... I'm going to be a billionaire."

Thank you for reading.
Please remember to vote/comment