Chapter 15

She could hardly sleep at night. She was not habitual of sleeping in any other bed except hers for years. She also woke up many times and thought if she should knock at his door or simply slip in his bed beside him. These thoughts were unusual for her but she couldn't control he mind. She checked her phone several times, visited some strange info pages, checked out pictures of her school friends and everything except sleeping soundly.

Next morning, she was ready at 7:30 am. She found a charcoal black suit jacket, a pencil skirt and a silky white shirt with matching accessories, shoes and everything. She wondered how he managed to get her these things and who placed them here. She was even more surprised when everything fitted her perfectly. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. She had straightened her hair today and tied them in a ponytail. She had an exceptional sense of dressing, she thought. But she never spent her money on such expensive suits. She was still paying off her education loan. She was a minimalist person who could do with a few pairs of clothes and shoes. She simply smiled at her reflection and turned on her heels to go down.

She didn't know about Damon if he will accompany her to the office at such an early hour. When she came down, he was already sipping his coffee while reading a newspaper. Lyla was cooking breakfast.

As he looked up at her, his eyes travelled the length of her body and the intense expression was back, informing her that he liked the sight. He folded the newspaper and said, "Good Morning, sugar. As always you look amazing."

"Thank you for the clothes, specially."

"You are not habitual of taking compliments, are you? Every time I say something about you, you start blushing. And, trust me, it is rare to find girls today who can blush. It's a major turn-on you know. So, if I flirt with you now, it's not my fault."

"I don't blush."

"Yeah, lie of the century."

Kate didn't reply and started sipping on her coffee Lyla has just placed in front of her.

Kate looked sideways ad found Damon looking at her.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing."

"Then stop looking at me."

"I can't help it. You are beautiful."

"Tell me something new."

"Whoa. I like it."

After a few seconds, he spoke, "You know I got an idea last night."

"Yeah, to get in my bed?"

"Hey, but I didn't."

"Thanks a lot."

"Leave, listen to me."

"I am all ears."

"I want you to join my team for Clarke Charity."

"Wait, What?" Kate placed down her mug and spoke again, "Why would I do that? Helping you is a different thing and being a part of a team is a different thing. No, I can't do it."

"Wait, listen to me. It's not like I am asking you to head the team. I just want you to join, get your points ahead and learn something new."

"I am just a secretary, Damon."

"And you don't have to be a secretary all your life."

This last point hit her. She had never been very ambitious. After her mother's death, she just completed her studies, got a job and wanted to pay off her loans. She was living a mediocre life and he was giving her a chance to try something new alongside her work. But why was he doing that?

"Why do you want me to join?"

"Because I have seen your potential. You don't need to just take calls and write emails."

"But I can't leave Mr. Clarke."

"I am not asking you to leave him. I just want you to be a part of my team while working for my Dad. If you feel like it's affecting your work, leave it."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I am a selfish person."

"Meaning?"

"It's just my way of keeping you close to me."

"There you go."

"What? Why don't you believe me that I like you? I really want to spend some time with you and you want it too. But every time I come closer to you, you push me away. I don't know what should I do to make you believe me?" He was running his fingers through his hair and Kate was finding it hard to focus on his words.

"You don't need to make me believe anything."

"Listen I know I wronged you the first time. But I apologized to you. I just want a second chance. Everyone deserves it."

Kate looked at him in confusion. She couldn't decide what to say. She had noticed several changes in him since that incident and he was absolutely correct when he said that she liked him. But she was very protective of her heart. She knew about him, knew his ways and she was well aware that if he will break her heart, she will not be able to move on. But was he not worth putting her heart at risk? She was playing safe for years now. No one has ever come so close to her or made an effort. She always warded everyone off. And this handsome man not only realized his mistake but also apologized to her. He could fire her but he didn't. Her mind was still asking her to stay away from him but her heart was adamant this time.

"Fine. I give you a second chance."

"Wait. What? You are agreeing to be my girlfriend?"

"No. I am agreeing to join your team, stay closer to you and see if it goes anywhere. It does not in any way means that I like you very much or I gave in. I am just ready to try this thing with you."

She was waiting for a response but when it didn't come, she looked up and found him smiling down at her. He smiled broadly and gave her a bear hug which was so tight that for a second she felt she was going to break one or two bones.

"I am just so happy." His cheeky grin made her smile too.

"If you are done being happy, can I go to office? My boss is a very strict one."

"You are such a spoilsport. A man is giving you a hug and you are talking about office."

"Your hugs don't pay my loans."

She didn't mean to say it like that but she found it came so harshly. He was serious and Kate tried to lighten up the atmosphere.

"What? I am just kidding."

"Do you have student loans to pay?"

"Urghhh. Don't get into your billionaire zone and mock me. Half of the kids in our country have education loans to pay and I am no exception."

She saw that he was serious all of a sudden. It was not a big deal, if she had loans. She was managing everything perfectly until now.

"Look, If you want to do your thinking here, at least see me off or I will be late."

"I am sorry. Let's go."

Before they left, Lyla packed her some sandwiches for lunch and waved them off. It reminded Kate so much about her mother. Now it was her turn to be all serious face.

Damon had lost his focus this morning. He had let her go last night. He accepted she did not trust him but he had to try and she gave in finally. He was happy but then she said it. He had got her searched and knew everything about her that she lived alone and had a sister and only Maya in the name of family but he didn't know about her student loans. They were surely going to mess up his plans. She was a hard-worker, intelligent and he respected it. But it was not letting him go a few things. He was rethinking if he was doing the right things. He could help her and get this burden off her shoulders in a minute. But his mind was racing on a different track right now. How could a girl make him spend his thoughts so much on herself?