Chapter 5: Hide and seek is over.

Dogs barked in the distance loudly, alerting the teen and causing them to frantically search for the incoming danger. Reak couldn't get caught after all. And they wouldn't.

.

.

.

At least they hoped so.

It's been hours upon hours of this game of hide and seek-or, what felt like hours upon hours- and Reak was more than simply tired. They were exhausted.

The teen looked around to locate the enemy- the seekers———with guns (and means to burn them from the inside out)... but there was nobody. Not behind, nor up ahead. Not left, neither on the right. Heck! Not even beneath or above them.

Where were they?

Did they escape?

Where was the police?

Are they safe?

Run.

Catch your breath.

Run away.

You're safe.

They're coming.

Everything is fine.

The teen stopped for a second, realizing what the last thought said. What it contained.

And they couldn't help but quietly chuckle at that thought, tears silently escaping their two eyes.

They weren't safe. How could they be safe when their normal life was crumbling away? When it was all disappearing right before their eyes, burning to ashes, shrieking in pain while the fire consumes it while they had to watch it and join the fire to crumble and burn and-

HOW COULD THIS BE FINE!!??

how?

how?

how?

how?

how?

how?

how?

how?

How was this fine (—when it's all burning right before them? —when they can still grasp them, but it would be no use, because the flames consume it all and there is nothing left but the pain of the aftermath? —when they knew that they would join the flames, dance with them till they are reduced to nothing but dust?)?

Nothing was fine. (It's all burning.)
They lost their home. (It's all burning.)
They are a monster. (It's all burning.)
They are being hunted. (It's all burning.)
They. are. not. FINE!

"FUCK!", the now angry teen yelled as loud as they could, punching a nearby tree with all their might, wincing at the cracks forming on their icey body.

Right.

Their body changed.

It wasn't human anymore. Neither was it something that should exist.