Chapter 7: Wait, where am I? And who is this?

Reak startled awake from a nightmare, faintly remembering how their friends died (—burned—) in front of them and their parents vanished into thin air(—into black and grey and ugly smoke—), leaving them alone for an eternity they wished would never exist. Taking a few deep breaths to calm their racing heart and soul, they looked around what seemed to be a little camp — of sorts.

There was a fireplace and two makeshift tents made of sticks and leaves. They themself were laying on lots and lots of leaves, looking like a bed. The situation confused the teen. They should be laying in their bed at home, waking up and getting ready to eat breakfast and not in some forest on some bed made of leaves and sticks-

The realization hit Reak fast—too fast—, remembering the past events like a horrible nightmare. Quick to move— which failed horribly thanks to the burning pain in their whole body, they rather layed on the bed of leaves. Reak layed down, staring at the blue sky with wide eyes, not wanting reality to be real.

How could it even be real? Them suddenly waking up as some weird otherworldly being on the streets, getting yelled at, driven to flee, escaping to the forest and finally being shot. How could that ever be real? How?

How...?

"I see you're awake.", a female voice as sweet as an angels said behind the fifteen year old. Reak tried to look, quickly deciding against it as their body reminded them just how badly they hurt. Instead they tried answering her, their vocals sounding strained and cracking, making their speech incomprehensible. "Ah-, don't speak. You should rest your voice.", the person warned, sitting down beside them.

Reak looked at the majestic figure in awe, long wavy red hair covered her shoulders with various golden accessories in it. Her face was adorned by various little black swirls and lines at the sides, almost like branches of a tree with little dots here and there. 2 rather big horns curled around two long elven ears, also decorated by fancy engravings and accessories. The figure wore a beautiful orange and white dress with various patterns and golden details.

And those big black eyes that stared at them with a hint of worry and curiosity.

To say that Reak wasn't in awe by the stunning looks of this person would've been a lie. Her looks astonished them more than the many landscapes they loved to take in. Said female started giggling, which made the teen look away in embarrassment- by not moving their head of course. That would've hurt. "Don't worry about it. First of all, I am here to check up on you. I saw you awake.", she reassured them. "Also, my name is Judith.", she said while holding a hand up to her chest, "but you can call me Judy!" Reak smiled at Judy, about to give their own name, though Judy interrupted them, "Don't speak, 'kay?", to which the teen complied.

"Good!", Judy said cheerfully at first, but her eyes avoided Reaks gaze quickly and looked nervously around, "But even though I came here to check up on you, I don't know how to take care of your...", she took a deep breath while Reak tensed up, "injury." Judy had a look of pity on her pretty face. The teen, however, didn't pay it much mind as they were reminded of the horrible- if not traumatizing- events. They stared at the sky in denial, because, after all, it couldn't be true. How could it be? It couldn't be!!

But, deep down, they knew the truth. They feared the truth. And this fear was strong enough to bring them to tear up.

After all, who wanted to lose so much in such little time?
They didn't. That was for sure. And they would never want anyone else to feel what they had gone through. Not even their worst enemy.

They hoped that everything was a dream.

Even though they could clearly feel the pain throughout their body.