Chapter 3: Jailbreak

{Cuphead P.O.V.}

Well, ever since the cookie factory insentient, life hasn't been too good for me and Mugsy. Even after we were put  behind bars, I still liked Chalice though. "We were tricked breaking into that cookie factory!"  Said Mugman. "This is what we get for listening to that Ms. Chalice!" I didn't respond. Mugman threw his piece of chalk in my head. I turned around and took the chalk out of my mouth. "I don't wanna hear another word about Chalice or cookies ever again." I lied. I still liked both of those things, especially Chalice, I'd choose her over cookies any day. 

"I told you we shouldn't have hung out with her." Said Mugman.  "No, you didn't!" I said. "I didn't? Well, that sounds like something I should have said." Responded Mugman.

 "Yeah, aren't you supposed to be the cautious one?" 

Oh, so now it's my fault we're in prison?" 

"Pretty much!"

"All I know is we gotta get out of here." I said. "I'M GO'IN NUTS!" "Plus, Elder Kettle's glasses are probably ready by now." Added Mugman. 

~

"I'm scared, Cuphead." Mugman said to me during lunch. One of the criminals growled at us. We moved and another criminal growled at us. We moved back and pushed the first criminal accidentally. The criminal glanced at the giant female cyclops next to him with worry in his eyes.  The cyclops snapped her tray in half. And picked up the criminal that bumped into her. She began to beat him up and Mugsy and I looked away. We ran away and Mugman grabbed onto me. 

"I wanna go home!" He screamed. "I'm too soft for prison!" I got an idea. "Don't worry." I said. "We're busting out of this joint!" I whispered to him. "Tonight at midnight, as the crow flies." Mugman wore a confused expression. "What does that mean?" He said. "I don't know." I whispered to him.

~

That night, we waited as the clock struck midnight. We immediately began our escape. We sawed open the bars on our window and slid down on a chain of laundry. A prison light shown on us and we ran as we were chased by guard dogs. 

"You boys just bought yourself a day of breaking rocks!"

The next night we attempted to escape again. As we broke out of a vent. The guard dogs already surrounded us and we were chased again.

"You boys just bought yourself a night in the box!"

We tried to escape the night after that, and got similar results.

"You boys just bought yourself a night in the box breaking rocks!"

"We almost had it. Next time, all we need is a little....  dynamite!" I said.  Mugman began to cry. "What? You don't like dynamite?" I said. 

~

I rolled out our next escape plan. "What we need is a more elaborate plan. Something way more complicated." I said.

 "No, Cuphead." I looked up at Mugman. "What we need is to give up." I gasped. "Mugsy! What are ya sayin'!?" I exclaimed. "Being on the inside changes a mug." Mugman explained. "The only way we're gettin' outta here is to make the best of it and serve our time." I narrowed my eyes. 

"No! The only way we're gettin' outta here is to bust out!" I said. "Well, I'm not doing it that way." Said Mugman. 

"Well, I am doing it that way!"

"Oh, you're  doing it that way? Well, good for you!"

"Hey, quiet down in there!" A guard yelled.