ACT I

𝚂𝙾𝙻𝙴𝙸𝙻 𝙲𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙰𝙸𝙽
❥❥❥
𝙼𝚊𝚢 𝟸𝚗𝚍

"Let's celebrate life, kick back and take five, and give thanks to the source that create life...To see a sun set...or see a sun rise, and see my son born with these same eyes, to see my son smile, brighten every grey sky....."

I moved around my dorm, tidying up. Straightening out and cleaning whatever could be cleaned. I hated mess. I hated when anything was out of place, it drove me mad.

Wizkid & Damian Marley played on my small speaker as I did so. One thing I loved dearly about having a single. I didn't have a roommate telling me to turn my music down or anything like that. I mean, I kept it at a medium, out of respect for other students on the floor but...I was in my own little sanctuary.

Suddenly my music stopped and I snapped my head in the direction of my phone. Confused, until I heard the iPhone ping blare.

"How rude..." I mumbled before walking over and grabbing my phone. Making sure the Bluetooth disconnected as I answered.

"Hello?"

"Soleil, my little spot."

"I wish you'd give that nickname up already..."

His deep laugh filled my ear and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Hi Dad."

"Hi sweetie. I just wanted to call and tell you I've landed."

"I'm glad. How was the flight?"

"Long." He chuckled.

"Well, it's a 10 hour flight Dad. I'd assume so."

"Eh, smart arse."

I lauged at his heavy accent. But not too much, I sounded just like him.

When I was quite young, my parents separated. My mum was from California and on a trip to the UK, she met my dad.

The epic love story that burned out, bred me. I always sort of hated that they grew out of love. They were everything I ever dreamed of. So cute together. Nothing bad happened, just one day it stopped. Like the match was blown out. Nothing I could do, I was 13.

But, my mom moved back to America and I came with her. My dad didn't protest, they were very cordial in the agreement. And I always went back to England for the summer. And during times I had secondary, Dad would visit here.

Secondary...sorry, I mean school.

"Well I'm getting ready for the term end."

"Yea, and when will you be shifting into your main studies?"

"After graduation. Duh. Remember? I said I'd get a business degree first, then circle back to Culinary."

"Ah, right Spot. Right."

"Dad." I rolled my eyes.