Chapter 1

(Art by: @wildshape on Twitter)

A thick fog spread out as far as Flutterpaw could see. Everything was silver and white just like the color of her pelt. She has had this dream many times before. It wasn't a bad one, but it was one that left Flutterpaw very curious of its meaning. 

"Is anyone there?" Flutterpaw called out, "Are you here again? Please! Show yourself! I would like to see you!"

The vast, blinding landscape didn't show Flutterpaw anything at first. Soon enough though colors started to emerge. Shades of blues, blacks, creams, golden, and orange splotches started to swirl together like water was guiding it. The colors made no form, but just softly spun. 

Flutterpaw squinted her eyes as she saw the colors, "Hey! I'm over here!" She padded towards the colors, "Who are you? What are you? D-do you need help? Are you lost?"

Her paws gained speed and it felt as if she was gliding through air. She soared towards the familiar form. Once she got near she circled it.

"I can help!" Flutterpaw reassured. She looked around and squinted if she could see anything in the dense fog. A little bit of color started to show through the surroundings. It was a peak of a massive rock in the distance. 

"There!" Flutterpaw called out. "If we go to the top we should be able to see everything! I can help you there!" 

She raced toward the boulder as the abstract figure came slowly behind. There was a sense of urgency that Flutterpaw felt with her whole body. She knew she was safe in the dream, but something still felt off, something she couldn't put her paw on. The environment was freezing as a whipping wind pushed her fur back. 

Flutterpaw made it to the base of the rock, finally feeling something real underneath her paw pads. She turned behind her to see the watery form was slowly pushing forward. A loud cracking filled her ears as the sound of waves and bubbles amplified to fill the space. 

"Hurry!" Flutterpaw cried with alarm. Before she knew it she felt a heavy splash of water hitting her face.

Flutterpaw jolted awake. She was safe and sound in her nest. She was in the apprentices den next to Mosspaw. The silver and white apprentice calmed her breath as she gazed lovingly at her best friend who was blissfully asleep. She gave him a soft lick behind the ears and settled her head down into her nest still waking up and pondering the dream she had.

"Again," Flutterpaw wondered, "What is with that form? It doesn't seem like a cat. Dreams are weird sometimes... can't it be the one with the form and all of the butterflies? I like that one way better! Hmm.. I wonder why my face is wet though."

Drip! Right then another heavy drop of water landed above Flutterpaw's eye. She shot up and shook her head, then gazed up. The roof of the apprentices den had a leak! 

"Well that makes more sense," Flutterpaw observed.

She quietly stood up in her nest and stretched. There was no way she'd be able to fall back asleep now, not until it got fixed. Flutterpaw gazed up at the sky. Light was just softly entering the RiverClan camp. Thick fluffy clouds were starting to roll in, but for now gentle pinks filled the sky.

"Beautiful.." Flutterpaw breathed. 

After taking a few moments to admire the beautiful morning sky she set out to find a cat or two that could help with the leaky den. 

Today was the holiday that is known as The Longest Night. Members of RiverClan had the day off to relax, connect with their clanmates, and to decorate the camp. Cats could hunt if they wanted to, but patrols of any kind weren't required since soon enough each role of the clan would have to figure out who they were going to assign as their "Spirit of RiverClan".