Chapter 2

(Art by: DawnMistCat on Twitter

The five apprentices sat in a circle. Each of them took a few bites of the squirrel that lay in the middle then passed it on to the next cat. Reedstar had just announced for groups to gather and discuss what their plans were for The Longest Night.

There was silence between the five cats until Goldenpaw broke the silence, "So we have our gift? Who are we going to give it to?"

More silence filled the den.

"W-we don't have a gift yet," Mosspaw whispered.

"We don't!" Goldenpaw grunted, "Why did I assume we already had one?"

"Because it's something we have to plan and get together," Cliffpaw emphasized, "The whole thing is a group effort."

"Your right Cliffpaw. We waited long enough enough to get a gift," Troutpaw mewed, "Since we are all here, what is something we can give another cat before moon high?"

As the other cats went on discussing gifts Flutterpaw pondered, "What makes a Spirit of RiverClan? If we figure that out, maybe we can figure out a good gift." She loudly cleared her throat in an exaggerated way so the other cats looked at her. Mosspaw gave a little giggle. Flutterpaw smiled then spoke, "Gifts can be found anywhere. If we all work together we'll easily get one. What we should really be thinking is what makes a Spirit of RiverClan? We've never experienced The Longest Night ourselves, but I ask you to remember what older clanmates say when they tell their stories. Gifts are usually something special, something that would show they are a spirit."

Goldenpaw rolled her eyes and scoffed, "Where are we going to find a gift like that?"

Flutterpaw stood up passionately, "Outside of RiverClan! What lies outside the border is a mystery to us. It means that there is bound to be something special out there! At least whatever is out there will be different than if we searched here!"

Mosspaw perked up, "I-I agree with Flutterpaw!"

Flutterpaw twitched with bashfulness. Goldenpaw growled, "You always agree with her!"

"She may be right," Cliffpaw mumbled, "I was with the elders this morning and Beebreeze was talking about a battle that took place before we were born. They said that in order to scout the location of the monsters they had to climb this large lone rock to the west of camp. With that they could see so far out. If we get to that rock maybe we'll see something worthy to be a gift for a Spirit of RiverClan."

Flutterpaw perked up, "A lone large rock," she thought, "Just like my dream. We have to go there! It must've been a dream from StarClan!"

Goldenpaw protested, "Really Cliffpaw do you have bees in your brain? Fighting monsters? There's no way RiverClan warriors would even associate with Twolegs! Beebreeze is old anyways  they're just jumbling up their words!"

"If Bluestone heard you say that," Cliffpaw teased.

"Bluestone isn't here! My mentor can't tell me what I can or can't say during this meeting!" Goldenpaw mewed.

"What if... I told him," Cliffpaw smirked, provoking his sister.

"You wouldn't dare you piece of fox dung!" Goldenpaw hissed.

As the two speckled apprentices were arguing Troutpaw gazed at Flutterpaw, "Should we really be going so far outside of camp? The snow is starting to pick up, this could be dangerous."

Flutterpaw mewed, "The rock shouldn't be too far away. We should go there and take a look. If we don't see anything then we can come back to the territory and hunt something as a backup plan."