Chapter 3

(Art by: LindseyVi)

(RiverClan)

Flutterpaw leaned into Mosspaw as both of them looked into the water with wonder in their eyes. The brightly colored fish swam, meandering around the pool. The silver apprentice looked at the brown tabby apprentice. She looked at him with as much awe as she did when looking at the colorful fish. 

Mosspaw smiled, "These fish are beautiful."

Before Flutterpaw could respond Troutpaw, Goldenpaw, and Cliffpaw caught up with them. 

"Where are we?" Cliffpaw asked with curiosity in his eyes, "This den feels like it's green leaf in here. It's no leaf though, how is this possible?"

"Twolegs are weird Cliffpaw don't think too much into it," Goldenpaw said as she rolled her eyes. 

Troutpaw walked up to Mosspaw's side, "What did you two find?" 

The grey tabby tom looked in the pool and was immediately captivated, "Goldenpaw, Cliffpaw, you both should take a look at these fish," he mewed as he signaled them.

The speckled siblings joined the rest of their den mates and looked into the water. All five apprentices stood on the water's edge looking at the swirling fish in a trance. They all smiled, not from hunger, but from the sheer beauty of the fish.

"Wow," Cliffpaw breathed. 

"Oh ok I'll admit these fish are pretty cool," Goldenpaw purred, "Do you think it's safe to hunt these Troutpaw?"

Troutpaw gazed for a minute before speaking, "I don't see any harm, besides for their color I don't see anything wrong with them. They should be safe."

Flutterpaw gave a goofy grin, "Great! One of these fish will be our gift! On our way back we can figure out who will get the gift!"

She locked eyes on a fish that was cream, orange, golden, and had black speckles and bit into it dragging it onto the shore. "I got it!" Flutterpaw grunted.

Before they all could turn around they heard a scream behind them, "THE KOI! Get away from the koi!" It was an angry twoleg who ran to where the five apprentices were. 

Flutterpaw froze in fear with the fish in her mouth as the twoleg's thick leg swung back. He was going to kick her. She wanted to run, but her paws weren't moving. Before she knew it she felt something hit her side. Flutterpaw was pushed to the side and she let go of the fish that was now flopping next to her. As her eyes widened she saw that Mosspaw pushed her to the side and the two leg kicked Mosspaw so hard he fell into the pond.

"Mosspaw!" Flutterpaw screamed in terror. 

The tom was submerged in the pool as the two leg kept screaming at them. Troutpaw instinctively hissed, his back fur raised up, and claws out, "How dare you hurt my clanmate! Attack!" 

Troutpaw and Goldenpaw leaped and latched onto the two leg's legs while Cliffpaw ran to meet Flutterpaw at the shore of the pond. Flutterpaw lurched over the edge and both cats grabbed Mosspaw's scruff pulling him out of the water. Mosspaw stunned and achey shook his long soaked fur. Cliffpaw dashed to the other side of the pond and grabbed the flopping fish in his jaws. Troutpaw, still holding onto the twoleg looked over at the three cats.

"Go! Get out of here! We'll catch up!" he hissed.

Flutterpaw nudged Mosspaw and they took off, following Cliffpaw's lead to the entrance of the den. As they exited the den the biting chill of the snowstorm whipped their fur back. The three cats ran heading enough away from the two legs territory that he wouldn't come after them anymore. The cats settled down and a few moments later Troutpaw and Goldenpaw met up with them.