Training

Miguel and I are practicing in the dojo, when a man walks in. "Howdy, there, Mr., uh, Lawrence?" He says. "It's Sensei." Miguel states. "Miguel, shut up." Johnny says. I hold in my laugh. "What brings you in? Looking to lose that gut and learn how to kick some ass?" Johnny asks. "No. I'm from the city health department. This is a list of requirements needed to open up an exercise studio." The man says. "This isn't an exercise studio. This is a karate dojo." Johnny says. "Yeah, same deal. Wow. This place needs a lot of work. You're not open for business, are you? You, you a customer here?" The mans points at Miguel.

"No, that's just an illegal I picked up this morning, and a random girl." I look at Johnny, offended. "He's helping me set up." Johnny says. "I don't need to know about all that. My job is just to make sure this place is up to code. You don't want a scabies outbreak like that hot yoga place over on Tujunga." The man states. "Wait, so I have to do all this crap before I even open?" Johnny says, confused. No, you need to do all that to get the certificate that's required to get the insurance you need to open. But you knew that when you signed your lease, right?" The man questions Johnny. "Right, yeah." Johnny says. I rub my eyes. "I'll drop in next week for another inspection. Huh, cool rattlesnake." He says. I roll my eyes. "It's a cobra." I say. "Oh, right, duh. I'm such an idiot. Cobra "Kay."" I couldn't hold in my laugh.

"Kelly, 20 push-ups, and you're on toilet duty."

"What!"
-
Miguel and I are cleaning up the dojo. "Looking good. Make sure you get both sides. And after you're done with that, you can take care of these exposed wires. That's going to be a lot of work." He says. I sigh. "Yeah, but what does any of this have to do with karate, Sensei?" Miguel groans. "Do not question my methods. Just be thankful you're not a sumo wrestler. Those guys have to wipe their Sensei's asses." Johnny says, while opening his beer. "Eww." I mumble.

"What was that Kelly?"

"Nothing!"
-
After a while, Miguel asks Johnny something. "So, I, uh, see you were a karate champion, Sensei." Miguel says. "You don't have to call me "Sensei" every time." Johnny states. "I'm sorry, Sensei. I, um, sorry, l'm sorry." Miguel stutters. "Eh, I won a couple All Valley tournaments. Didn't lose a single point my junior year." Johnny says. "All right. What happened your senior year?" I ask. "This isn't 20 questions. Get back to scrubbing." He says. "Huh, that was the first question I asked." I say. "Quiet!" He yells, I roll my eyes.

"Where the hell is that garbage coming from?" Johnny says. "That's me, sorry, yeah." Miguel says. "Hey. Yeah, uh, debate is running a little late. Uh, okay. Love you too." Miguel says before hanging up. "Don't tell me you have a girlfriend." Johnny sighs. I look at him. Does he have a girlfriend? Miguel laughs. "That was my mom, actually. Um, I told her I joined the debate team because she doesn't approve of violence, so..." Phew.

"Yeah, what about your dad? Is he okay with you getting your ass kicked up and down Reseda Boulevard?" Johnny asks. "Oh, I never, uh, really knew my dad, so..." Miguel stutters. "Yeah alright, what about you Kelly?" I just look at him and look down.

I never really remembered my dad, all I knew is that I had a stepdad, and that he was my dad.

"I don't know him." I whisper. "All right, well, stop standing there. Get back to training." Johnny says. "Okay, yeah, sorry. Okay." Miguel says. "And change that ringtone. Get some Guns N' Roses or something." Johnny says.

"What's Guns N' Roses?"

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that."
-
The next day we are training, and Sensei gets a call. We couldn't hear the conversation properly, but sounded like he was angry. "What the hell's he doing? All right, no, no, no, no, no." Johnny sighs. "You're doing it all wrong. What do you want, those kids at school to keep dumping shit on your head? You want all the girls to think you're a wangless dork? Because you can stop your training right now and you can walk outside and let the whole world know you're a loser. Or you can plant your feet, look your enemy in the eyes, and punch him in the face! Picture your enemy. All right, you have a picture in your mind? What are you going to do?" Johnny yells. Miguel punches the bag.

"Again! Are you a loser!"

"No Sensei!"

"Again!"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
AN:
I don't really have anything to say so have a good day/night!