CHAPTER THREE

"Adam was formed from the dust of the ground, and became a living soul when God breathed into his nostrils the breath of life."

|WILL'S WORLD

KIRJAVA

Not far from the center of Oxford, in a street of middle-class apartments, in the seventh building, Kirjava makes her way to the third floor, up the fire escape.

Entering the fifth window of the building, the daemon cat passes inside silently in the kitchen bench that divided the kitchen and the living room. Mary was leaning ove drinking her coffee, but she didn't see Kirjava as she was busy with a book in one hand. Only her daemon perched on her shoulder, noticed her presence, but made no comment on her arrival.

Kirjava went to the back of the apartment where there was a small hallway with three doors. The first was the bathroom, she didn't even look, she walked right by. The second door was the room Elaine shared with Mary. With a brief glance, Kirjava saw her on the bed still sleeping. Then she went to the last room in the hall, the door was ajar. She poked her head in seeing a room crammed with things, lots and lots of books piled up. There was no one in the room, so she walked to the back where there was a large sliding window that led to a small balcony.

Upon exiting, she is faced with Will sitting on the ledge with his back against the wall. His head was thrown back and his eyes closed, feeling the morning sun hit his face. The breeze lightly swayed his hair, with a expression of happiness, his thoughts far in the past.

Kirjava approaches, climbing on the ledge in front of him.

A smile appears on his face.

"You shouldn't sneak up on people when they're several feet off the ground. One day it may cause an accident."

"Well, maybe you're the one who shouldn't be sitting here. And good morning to you too."

"Are the girls awake yet?" asks Will, opening only one eye to look at the cat.

"Your mother hasn't gotten up yet." the cat says, licking a paw.

"Let's go then, or we'll be late."

They go back inside and Will stretches.

Kirjava climbs onto the bed, leaning on the desk chair to grab Will's coat, she pulls it off and hands it to the man with her mouth, who thanks her by patting her head, making her purr with the action.

Will puts on his coat, turning his attention to the piles of books on his desk, placing them in two cardboard boxes and closing them.

Carrying the two boxes on his lap, he goes to the living room, leaving them at the door. He stands up, giving Mary a slight smile.

"Good morning, sweetie."

"Good morning, what are you reading?"

"One of your books I found around here. It's a clichéd romance, but it's fun."

Will whistles.

"Mary Malone, Dark Matter researcher, trained scientist, questioning the power of wisdom in a clichéd novel?" he scoffs.

Mary gives a forced smile to the boy who shrugs his shoulders laughing.

"Drink your coffee before I throw this book at you." the woman warns.

"Sorry, but it won't work. I'll just take this to my mom or I'm going to be late."

Mary looks at Will with some irritation.

"I don't understand, you do this every day, you're not that late to leave like that."

"Don't worry, I'll eat something on the way."