Dance the Night Away (Cedric Diggory)

...

Lynch's owl, Lyra, is named after the constellation, not all that other stuff. When I first looked up Lyra it gave me like fifty other things. For some reason, this was written as if it was rushed and I'm truly sorry about it. When I write, it's either amazing or horrible. I guess this is one of the horrible ones.

...

"Have you got your bag? Where's Lyra? Hold on, you dropped a book - " Mum's fussing was cut off when Dad rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Calm down, she's fine. She'll do great this year, right?" he sent me a look that meant 'say yes or your Mum'll strangle me'.

I nodded, "Of course, Mum, this is my sixth year, after all! I'll do fine!"

Mum sent us both a look then sighed, "All right, fine, but where is Lyra?"

"I let her out, I think she's circling the platform with the other owls," I answered, looking around and, sure enough, I saw my owl drifting around with some of the other students' owls.

"Call her back soon," Mum said, a bit worried.

I sighed, Mum was always worrying over me because I was the "baby" of the family. I had an older sister but she'd left school years before and moved to France for work or something like that. I hadn't heard from her in a while.

"Lynch!" I heard someone call and, moments later, a tall dark-haired boy came up next to me and tipped his head to my parents, "Mrs. and Mr. Lynch, how're you?"

"Wonderful," Mum answered, looking around for Mr. Diggory since our families had long been friends, "Where's your father?"

"Ah, he's coming. Mind if we head onto the train?" he gestured to me and back at the scarlet train behind us.

"Not at all," Mum said, pulling me into a hug before letting me go.

I waved at them and followed Cedric onto the train, where he already had a compartment. I begrudgingly let him put my trunk into the overhead storage area with his since he insisted that it was the right thing to do. The show-off!

"Well, Lynch, how's your summer been?" he asked, sitting across from me.

I leaned against the window, "Great, actually, you?"

"I went to the quidditch world cup," he said offhandedly, knowing it would annoy me.

I rose to the bait, "What? Diggory! How could you not tell me! My dad wanted to buy tickets but Mum didn't want to go and the decision fell onto me! We could've met up."

"Didn't know you wanted to see me that badly, Lynch."

"Oh, shut up," I scoffed.

"That's not very Hufflepuff of you," he commented.

"We can't all be the perfect Hufflepuff, Diggory."

"That's true, Lynch, there can only be one," he paused for dramatic effect, "And it's you."

I burst out laughing, "Sure."

"It's true!" he insisted, "You're a great Hufflepuff."

"Nah, you're definitely the best. The whole school agrees! Unless the golden boy of Hogwarts is deaf and he's heard none of the whispers?"

"I've heard whispers that you're awesome," he smiled.

"Maybe you are deaf, or maybe you're being annoying. Or maybe it's both!"