chapter 22

[See you again - Taylor, the creator]

The day finally came when Fabio took me to his race. And right now I was sick.
In the morning I was already dizzy and feeling pretty sick. However, I didn't want to show anything because I wanted to go along, no matter how I felt. But Fabio saw straight away that my health was not in the green zone and sent me back to bed.
I told him it was all right and I'll come with him. However, he did not allow this excuse.
After we took my temperature, it was clear: I had a slight fever.

"Oh come on Fabio, I can do it today. It's not even that bad fever," I tried to persuade him, but without any positive effect.
"Nika, you're clearly ill. I want you to come with me too-"
"There you go," I interrupted him, but he specifically ignored me.
"-but, if you have a fever, believe me, it's better if you stay at home and rest. Otherwise, today will be too exhausting and you won't be able to enjoy it. Besides, you'll probably infect the others and I think they don't like the thought of getting sick before the summer break."
I realized I didn't stand a chance. Fabio wouldn't let me go and I had to watch the race on TV.
Since he had to leave right away, he quickly brought me some medication from the bathroom and then said goodbye.
He quickly planted a kiss on my mouth, to which I added, "You know I hate you for that."
"I hate myself for it, but you'll thank me later," he replied with a smile.
I called him a quick look after you when he left the house and left me with Jules.
"Then we have to watch the race together," I said to the cat and picked her up.

And I was actually grateful to Fabio, because I probably really couldn't have endured the day at the race track. I just felt sick and lay on the couch all day because I didn't really had the strength for anything else either.
Around noon, thank God, my medication kicked in and I felt a little better again.
Not feeling hungry at twelve o'clock, my lunch was an hour late, and I just made myself a simple soup.
Time just dragged on until it was finally a quarter to two and Fabio's Grand Prix was about to start.
I sat down on the sofa with a drink and shortly afterwards Jules came to me and lay down next to me.
I turned on the TV and it looked like the anthem had just finished playing.
The riders were already on their bikes and the Grand Prix was about to start.
Already I felt excitement.
God please just let Fabio have a good race.
Suddenly the camera panned to Fabio, who was talking to someone from his team. They probably went over the strategy again.
However, that wasn't what had my attention.
A woman was standing next to Fabio. A so-called grid girl.
And faster than I could fight it, a wave of jealousy swept over me. She was really beautiful and her body was just perfect.
What if...
No.
I quickly knocked the thoughts out of my head. She was just doing her job. And no more than that.

I finally waited the remaining minutes and the Grand Prix finally started.
The five red lights went out every second and the engines roared.
My gaze went straight to Fabio's bike. His start was very good, he gained five places and is now second.
Now it was into the first corner, but he was attacked directly by a Ducati behind him. But the Ducati driver didn't make past him and Fabio kept his place.
I could feel the tension in my chest going into turn two. The traffic is still very heavy. And then...
"No!" I cried out. Jules winced next to me, which I couldn't notice at the moment.
Fabio had crashed.
Fabio. Had. Crashed. Everything in me tightened.
He was briefly lifted into the air as his bike slid rapidly down the path until it crashed into the barrier. Fabio also rolled over the ground, but was able to slow down again very quickly and lay down. I caught my breath.
Move. please move.
He stayed like that for a few seconds when he suddenly got on his knees and put his arm around the other.
Shortly thereafter, the marshals came to him and two of them helped him up. The others took the bike off the track.
He was on his feet. I took a calming breath.

--------------

I heard a click and moments later the door opened.
The race had been over for an hour so it had to be Fabio finally coming home. I went straight to the door and recognized his form just a few seconds later.
"Finally," I sighed and hugged him, being careful not to touch his left arm, which was in a bandage.
"Hey," he whispered to me and kissed the top of my head.
"You gave me quiet a shock," I spoke now and looked at him.
He smiled at me reassuringly.
"Don't worry, I'm fine. I only bruised my hand a bit, but nothing else happened to me."
Together we went into the living room and Fabio, exhausted, fell onto the couch.
"Your start was really, really good," I said. He nodded, "Yes, but unfortunately I couldn't develop it for long. But I talked to the team and it wasn't my fault. The Ducati drove into my tires," he explained.
I asked, "Are you in pain?"
"Yes, a little. I was given painkillers earlier, but they're starting to wear off."
"Do you have any painkillers at home? I can get you some if you want."
"Yes please, they're in the bathroom upstairs. But how's your fever?" he asked.
"It's gone down a bit again, but I'm still feeling pretty drained," I replied, finally making my way upstairs to get the pills.
Then I also brought him a glass of water from the kitchen and pressed both into his hands with the words: "Here, swallow it."
Fabio slowly looked at me with a cheeky grin.
"Isn't that actually my sentence?"
I rolled my eyes in annoyance but also with a little smile.
"Oh God, shut up Fabio."
"I'm joking," he answered laughing and did as he was told.

The rest of the day and the day after, Fabio was very calm and relaxed. He no longer seemed upset about his results. Even when I asked Fabio if everything was okay, he was very calm. I didn't know where the sudden behavior came from, but I didn't want to complain. He seemed happy. And that made me happy too.
But in the end I had to go back to Monaco, too, because I was soon going to Hungary for my next Grand Prix.
So I said goodbye to Fabio on Monday afternoon, who brought me to the door.
I booked a flight home and a taxi to the airport as I didn't want to bother Fabio with his hand.
We just stood in front of the door, hugged and kissed goodbye.
But if I had known what was coming next, I would have hugged him a lot longer and tighter before I left.
And that kiss... Oh god... I would have given anything for it to last forever if only I could have predicted the future.