Chapter Six

Brie slammed her front door. Keke sat in the living room, watching TV, and lifted her head.

"Well, hello. And who's head are we pretending is that door?"

"Deon," spat Brie. She flopped herself into a chair. "Well, not him, but the whole situation."

"What situation?"

"Deon wants us to date."

"Me and him?!"

"No fool. Me and Deon."

"Yeah, ay?" Keke's eyes were glued to the TV.

"Yes."

"And what did you say?" She reached her hand into a nearby bag of nacho chips.

"I said I liked what we had and didn't want it to change."

"Hmm" Keke's voice was unchanged.

"Hmm? That's all you have to say?" Brie was irked that her cousin wasn't even watching her. "And before you respond, at least ack like you wanna talk to me, heifer!"

Keke rolled her eyes and turned to her cousin. "Ok, bitch. I said hmm because of course you'd say something so dumb. You've been crushing on Deon forever and now, homeboy actually wants to be with you? If it were just sex, he'd be out, but this negro is in our place all hours of the day and night. You got a beautiful, black man who is smart, kind, attentive, supporting your whole ass dreams. He and Marcus basically own a damn ranch! All that space and he coming here to spend time with you, for pussy? Nigga could have pussy delivered to the ranch. But he in love with your ass and you outchea like 'and ju don't know' like you some Cam'ron-having, Horse and Carriage muthafucka."

"Ok, Keke! Stop your foolishness, bout 'in love' with me."

"Uh, I said what I said. People fall when they fall. Some people fall in love in 2 days or 2 months. Some work out and some fall apart but they still felt the feeling. HE IN LOVE!"

Keke muttered to herself, "been fucking and talking and doing all the shit that couples do... annoying my damn nerves." She turned back to Brie. "Just because you scared of the feeling, doesn't make it any less real."

Brie cut her eye at her cousin. "I'm not scared of anything. It just doesn't feel right with Deon. It's the same feeling I had with Kevin. I have to trust my gut."

"Sometimes it's your gut and sometimes, it's just gas."

"Ok, Keke," Brie said sarcastically.

"Ugh," grunted Keke. "Foot bottom scum. I never liked that Kevin."

They stayed quiet, both looking at the TV.

"Do you really think I'm scared?" whispered Brie.

"I think that... you doubt yourself, Brie. A lot. You doubted if you made the right decision with foot bottom scum which obviously you did. Now, you're doubting if Deon is a good choice because you feel the same. They're both doubts, yes, but I don't think all doubt is the same so it shouldn't get the same response every time. When it does, when you give all your doubt the same response, that's fear. And don't get me wrong... I doubt myself too. But with you, it's crazy to me because you are so amazing, cuz. You don't even realize how capable you are. I just wish you could let go of that fear. Ever since Aunt Lisa passed..."

Brie felt a low buzz in her forehead that slowly drowned out Keke's words. She cleared her throat.

"Ok cuz. I hear what you're saying but I am fine. I'm fine. And the more I think about this, the more I think Deon and I just need some space. Like you said, we've been together nonstop so maybe a few days of not having any will help him come around. I mean seriously, I shouldn't stress over something that just happened. I'll give him some time."