1

Brooke sighs as she pulls the very last file from her box.

She would have assumed all of these records would be electronic by now. Boy, was she wrong. Evidently, pro baseball hasn't evolved since 1975. At least the medical side of things. She has been here for seven hours unpacking manilla envelopes and file folders, all stuffed with medical notes and exam results. Some are smaller than others. She hasn't had a chance to review them yet. She'd waited until they all arrived to start the daunting task of organizing them. She's told she will use these a lot.

Being the perfectionist she is, she has spent the last two days strategically placing each note in chronological order and then filing them in color and letter coordinated drawers.

She realizes quickly that the last one isn't like the others. It is heavy. It's a mess. Even worse than the others. This one has papers sticking out the sides and papers of all different colors and styles.

"What in the world?"

She opens it to find tons of notes, all stamped from different doctors and specialists.

There is a knock on the door before she has the chance to actually read any of it.

"Come on in." She says and she tosses the folder back into the box.

"What are you still doing here?"

It's the team manager. The one who had hired her. The one who had taken a chance on a student right out of med school. She is pretty much entirely terrified by his presence.

"Just getting things in order. Players get in tomorrow. I just want to make sure I have ready."

He laughs.

"I think the last athletic trainer just kept an old Crock Pot box and pulled out whichever one looked good that day, whether it was the right name or not."

She laughs nervously because that's what you're supposed to do when someone tells a bad joke.

"Get out of here for the night. We'll have you check in with the players at the first practice on Friday. That's going to be the best way to learn. Not this archaic bullshit." He gestures to the papers haphazardly tossed around the office.

She nods, not really knowing what to say. It's not like she wasn't thinking it.

He tells her to get lost again before heading out himself.

She does, saving the final file for tomorrow.

She locks the door behind her and heads home.