27

Cade is right.
It's different down here.

There are people around every corner. Security guards, equipment managers, and custodians.

He is glued tightly to her side as they walk down the long hallways.

Part of the deal was they had to split off until it was time to go down to the field. Brooke is advised to go meet the med staff for a mandatory debriefing.

They're equally nervous to branch off. Cade hugs her tightly. His hands are shaking. His usual rosy cheeks are white and pale.

"I'll see you soon." She says and they go their separate ways.

The med staff consists of four people, and they introduce themselves kindly. They all look a little confused, like they don't quite understand what she is doing here. They're all gathered in a small room with what appears to be physical therapy equipment. Resistance bands, yoga balls, and foam rollers line the walls.

"So you're kind of Belmount's personal doctor?" A middle-aged man asks.

That makes her laugh.

"Sort of, I guess. I am the Harlingston Hotshots Atheltic Trainer. Cade took to me pretty quick. After last game, I think Parker thought he might enjoy some familiarity for support. That's all."

Every single one of them looks suspicion.

"So overactive bladder syndrome?" Another asks, tossing a tennis ball up and down.

"He's never been diagnosed with anything. It's too erratic. Nobody knows what causes it. He has had every scan and test done in the book. It just seems to kick up when he is scared or on edge. And I guess that's why I'm here." She laughs. She can feel her shoulders creeping up higher towards her chin, nervously.

The oldest of the crew comes over to wrap an arm around her shoulder. He is a soft faced old man with wrinkles and bright green eyes, just like Cade's.
His name tag reads 'J.D'.

"Relax, Brooke. We don't bite. We just want to understand."

The rest of the crew smiles.

"I have a feeling you mean a lot more to that boy than just being his med trainer. And I bet he means a lot more to you, too."

She drops her shoulders, but she's blushing.

"He means an awful to me."

He slaps her back.

"Let us know if you have any questions, but I think you should be on dugout tonight. Moral support." He winks.

Cade finds her immediately when she steps onto the field. He has a little more spring in his step than when she left. He looks almost illegally attractive in royal purple.

"Thanks for being here." He says and kisses her forehead.

He jogs off to do a few laps.

She watches in awe as he stares at the tens of thousands of seats around them. They're beginning to fill in with fans all in themed shirts. Little kids stand against the railings, pointing and smiling.

It smells like fresh cut grass and salty popcorn.

The late-July sun is hot today, and there's not a cloud in the sky. It feels almost like a dream.

The closer they get to game time, the more the crowd begins to fill in. It's overwhelming even for her. She can see why Cade is so nervous out here.

He startles her when he taps her shoulder.