10

She isn't sure what time it is when she wakes up.

She doesn't feel like she has gotten too much rest, but considering how late they'd stayed up, she isn't really surprised.

Cade has rolled off of her and is still asleep. He doesn't look restful though. He actually looks a little distressed. Every couple seconds, he flinches in his sleep.

How can anyone live like this? He is murmuring something inaudible.

She does notice his hand is hovering over the fabric on his black sweat pants.

"Please." He whines. "Please." He says again, and then he flinches again.

He can't even escape his demons in his dreams.

His hand is grabbing at himself. His legs are pushed together and his body is curled up around his hand.

"Cade." She says, shaking him ever so lightly.

"Cade."

His eyes flutter, but he doesn't wake.

This time, she shakes him a little harder until his eyes finally open.

He blinks a couple times, like he probably isn't sure where he is or what he is doing here. He seems to come to quickly enough.

"Hey, you looked like you might need to use the bathroom." She says, deciding not to beat around the bush.

It's impressive how quickly his cheeks flush, but he nods and starts moving hastily to the bathroom. She is nervous for a moment that he might not have made it, but when he emerges, he is smiling.

It's only 7:20. Practice is optional this morning.

She kind of expects him to leave, but as always, he keeps her guessing.

He lays back down next to her.

"Thanks for last night. I guess maybe I kind of needed that. I don't really have anyone to talk to about that kind of stuff. It's nice to get off my chest." He says.

She cups his cheek.

"We all need somebody sometimes." She says.

They're both still sleepy, which makes it easier than it should be for her to take his hand and squeeze it. He smiles and doesn't let go.

He has a glimmer in his eye. The same glimmer he has when his team gets a homerun.

They just kind of look at eachother for a long while.

"What time do you need to be at the ballpark today?" He finally asks.

"3:45." She responds.

He looks thoughtful.

"I think we both need some more rest." He says and it's almost like he is longing. Something tells her he doesn't want to leave anymore than she wants him to.

Instead of asking, she just stands up and turns off the light. Cade moves his body so she can pull the blankets back from under him.

He doesn't resist, but even in the dim light, she can tell he looks apprehensive.

It's definitely against ever code, rule, and contract but she lays down beside him. Somehow it seems more romantic than last night. They're face to face again.

He is chewing on his bottom lip. She is worried for a moment he is going to get up and dismiss himself back to his own room that has been vacant for hours now.

"I've just never slept with anyone before." He says sheepishly.

"You slept with me last night." She points out.

He breaks eye contact. She feels a little guilty for a split second, but if he had wanted to leave, he would have.

"You just...you know what happens sometimes." He says.

"Cade. It's okay. I promise." She assures.

It's definitely too far when she grabs his arm and pulls him closer to her body. He doesn't resist though. He quickly melts into her embrace again, head tucked perfectly into the crease of her neck. They're closer than they were last night. Their entire bodies are pressed up against one another. Only separated by the thin fabric of Cade's sweat pants and thier t-shirts.

They're so exhausted, they fall asleep instantly. It feels so good.

They sleep for the next four hours like that.

This time when Brooke awakes, it's to something familiar in what seems like a far distant life by now.

Cade is hard. He is pressing against her leg, moving in slow motions. She is pretty sure he is probably mostly- or entirely- asleep. She knows he'd never do this while he was awake. Her body is excited, too, though. She can feel a tingling sensation between her legs that she hasn't felt in years and it's never been so strong.

Cade is making the smallest little groaning noise as he subtly grinds his dick against her thigh. She wants so badly to reach down and take it in her hands. She can't help but move her leg just a little to push back on him, which only makes him groan harder.

Then his body shutters. There is a gasp.

"Oh Jesus. I'm- I'm so sorry." He says. It's impressive how panicked he sounds despite just regaining consciousness.

"Hey. It's okay." She says in a low voice. Cade is frozen. She can feel him shaking.

"Cade. It's alright. I....I like it." She admits.

He is still trembling.

"What?" He asks.

"I like it. I like you." She says.

He doesn't respond. His chest is rising so rapidly she can feel it moving the sheets on her skin.

"I don't---" He starts and then stops.

"I mean. I like you too. I just don't--" He shudders again.

"Hey. Just calm down. It's alright." She says.

She rubs his back with her hand. Which eventually settles him back down flat onto the bed.

"Breathe." She instructs.

He does. Eventually, he calms down enough to speak.

"I'm sorry. I like you too. I've just never...never...." he trails off again.

"Never what?" She questions.

"I've never had sex before." He says.

That makes her sit up.

"What?" She asks, genuinely stunned.

He seems to be taken aback.

"I'm sorry..." He says.

Now she has to take a deep breath.

"You don't need to be sorry, but like how?"

Cade shrugs nervously.

"I guess I've just never been comfortable enough with someone to do it. Sure, there are a lot of Ball-Bunnies who've tried. I just wasn't interested." He says.

She is still stunned. Cade is an amazing baseball player. Incredibly attractive. Sweet. Kind. How is that even possible?

She backs away from him, slowly collecting her composure.

"I'm sorry. I...I didn't know that." She says. She doesn't know if that makes it better or worse.

"No. I'm not mad, Brooke. I like you too and I want to...I'm just scared. I don't know."

She knows she should back off. She should take this as a sign to run. There are strict rules in place against this. They could both get cut for it.

"You want to?" Is all she says.

There is a silence.

"I do..."