Chapter 3: Andrew

"Westley, come check this out," snickers one of the figures gathered around.

Varian, ten years old and struggling to figure out how this all happened to him in the first place, watches as the ring-leader of Old Corona's nastiest group of teens saunters over. The small town market is busy around them as shoppers hurry to get last minute purchases done before evening sets, and nobody pays any mind to the gathering of boys.

Varian wishes they would. Maybe, despite how no one is overly fond of him, he could petition anyone to get him away from the people who dislike him the most.

"What's up?" Westley asks, catching sight of Varian huddled against the wall and sneering. "Why are you guys with this trash?"

"Dude, kid does whatever he's told," another teen says. "Watch this. Varian, take that." The instruction is punctuated with a point at something on the fruit stand.

Varian bites his lip, stepping forward and pocketing the apple out of sight of the vendor. It feels like it burns his fingers, but he's unable to put it back.

Westley's eyebrows raise in interest. "Cool, let me try. Take that."

"Please stop," Varian keens, looking around warily but unable to resist yet again. "Guys, th-this is stealing! If my dad finds out–"

"Nobody's gonna find out, because you're not gonna tell on us," one teen says casually, taking the good out of Varian's hand and biting into it with gusto. Varian's mouth trembles.

Westley puts a heavy hand onto the youngest's shoulder. "I have a feeling this is gonna be fun."

...

"Powerful stuff, kid. This is gonna be fun."

Varian is fifteen now and somehow still surrounded by bullies. The thought resonates dully as he glances worriedly between Andrew and the green mist of explosion debris down below where Rapunzel and her friends fell moments before, struck with an alchemy bomb.

An alchemy bomb Varian made.

The Saporians are already hurrying away, on their way down to apprehend the Princess probably, and Varian almost trips on his way to run after them. He walks backwards alongside the leader, his hands wringing.

"Hey, uh, Andrew? Sorry, just wanted to make sure we're on the same page real quick– we're not harming any Coronans, right? That includes the princess and her friends."

The man's content expression morphs into annoyance. "What do you care?" he asks. "You're the one who almost killed the whole royal family, remember?"

Varian turns around so they are both walking forwards, taking the opportunity to drop a glare at the ground and mutter stubbornly, "Not all of them. Besides," he comes to a stop at the top of the staircase so he can stand in Andrew's path while the others go on below. "Even if I'm with you guys now, it doesn't mean I want the same things as I used to."

"Uh-huh, and what's that supposed to mean?" Andrew challenges, putting a hand on his hips and leaning in. Varian swallows.

"Just, that, you know, hurting people isn't necessary to bring about New Saporia," Varian says carefully, relaxing when Andrew leans back.

"Varian," the Saporian sighs with an eye roll. It's not an uncommon tone for Varian to hear his name spoken, but lately it's the only way Andrew speaks to him, unless he's being particularly useful. And Varian keeps trying to be useful. "I don't see what you're holding out for. It doesn't matter what you do now– Corona will ever forgive you for what you've already done ."