Ain't sweet

~

"There are people coming up the stairs right now." He whispered near her ear, - cut to the chase, - so that she could hear him well and clear and get to know why he pulled her into this claustrophobic space. While she was realising that, she thought to herself that, that, wasn't a wall.

She was pressed against his torso and she heaved a sigh out. A sigh. Nothing else. Or it seemed like it. The hand that covered her waist was long gone but she wouldn't stop thinking about it. "Ariel."

"God please stop this play right now", she said lowly, as he tried to look at her face but all he could see was the back of her head. She turned, trying not to make much noise. His eyes showed glimpses of playfulness but along with alert. Outside, shit was happening but both of them were unaware of it. His job was to protect her and only her. He was doing a great job. But to her, he was actually destroying her.

In every fucking aspect. She's showering and she imagines that it is him who's washing her back. She's cooking and she imagines him hugging her back. She's sleeping and she imagines the pillow to be him as she presses her face against it and imagines it to be his chest.

"Why are you so-", and she stopped. Her head was spinning. Her eyes were barely staying open and ears deafening themselves. She released a shaky breath and tried to open her eyes as she felt Casper's hands cup her face.

"Hey, hey Ariel? You hear me? Ariel?" He asked her panicking, trying to calm his own nerves to not make her even scared. He tapped on her cheek lightly. "Hey, it's fine. It's fine alright?" He said to her reassuringly. A bullet. A bullet is all it takes to remind her of every bad second she spent in her childhood.

She sniffed as she tried steadying herself. Earth to her. She tried speaking but her ears were now ringing. Her eyes catched his worried ones. Worried. He held so much of that in them she kept wondering if there was a chance with this guy infront of her.

"Ariel? You hear me right? Hmm?" She nodded. He sighed. "It's okay, you're fine right?" She nodded again but she was suddenly aware of everything. The bullet and the huge possibility of another one coming up. She didn't wish to hear another bullet. Her hands were shaking. She was having trouble breathing and he was genuinely concerned.

"Okay, okay, hey. Look at me. Ariel. Look at me, I'm right here. Nothing will happen". Her moist eyes locked with his as his left hand layed on her back. He hugged her protectively and his right hand remained on her jaw. "Now, tell me. You hear me alright?" She nodded but told him, her voice wavering. "Yeah.." She couldn't help it but she couldn't care.

"I want you to focus on my voice. Only my voice. Eyes on me. Ears on my voice okay?" He said to her, expecting her to respond all well. "Yes". His thumb traced her teary cheek as he spoke again for her to focus her mind on him and nothing else. "Is your ear good? What do you hear?"

"I hear a...heard a ringing echo, and-", she choked slightly as he patted her back. "It's gone now, isn't it?" She nodded again and he didn't push any further. He just gave her more reassurance. "That's all, Ariel. That's all, hmm? You're all good and nice", he smiled to her hoping to calm her mind down as he pulled her to his chest. She rested her head against him and let herself be vulnerable for a while. "Water", was all she said after, still holding onto him with all her strength.

"Okay, we'll get it. Just a few more minutes", he promisingly said as he pat her back and hair. He bit back the urge to kiss her head. He had fallen head over heels the day he got to know about her. She knew him now. He knew her... months back.

~