6

It was at the crack of dawn when Shirou awoke. He yawned and looked out the window. It was a warm, spring morning. Shirou got out of bed and started dressing himself when somebody knocked. "Who's there?"
"

Sir Bedivere. May I enter?"
"You may come in." Bedivere entered Shirou's room.
"I see you are already up and about." Bedivere looked at Shirou. "Are you wearing your own clothes? Cause a servant has prepared some clothes for you to wear." Behind Bedivere stood a female servant carrying a gray tunic and trousers, along with a pair of tall, leather boots. Shirou remembered that the king had said something about clothes last evening.
"Ahh, that's right." Shirou walked to the servants and took the clothes from her. "Thank you."
"I will be waiting in the next room, along with breakfast. If you don't mind, I will be eating with you." Bedivere spoke in a polite manner. "I haven't eaten had breakfast myself and I would like to use the opportunity to know you better."
"I don't mind. I'll be with you shortly." Bedivere nodded and left with the servant. Shirou put on the trousers and boots, but instead of the gray tunic, he took the red one he got from the merchant, because he liked the color more. He washed his face in a bowl of water, standing on the cupboard beneath the window and went to join Bedivere for breakfast.
"I see you chose the tunic you wore yesterday. Hmmm, it does suit you better then the gray one." Bedivere smiled approvingly. "Come, breakfast is served."
Breakfast was comprised of bread, cheese, a few slices of bacon, some apples and water. At least it tasted better then the supper he had yesterday.
"So, Shirou. What is your occupation, if I may ask?" Shirou eyed Bedivere for a moment. He emptied his mouth and answered. "Well, I'm a student and in my second year of high school."
Bedivere blinked in confusion. "School? I am sorry, but could you elaborate, because I am not sure what you meant by 'school'."
Shirou explained to Bedivere to concept of a school. He elaborated over the building, lessons, teachers and students, etc. Bedivere was fascinated by Shirou's explanation.
"I see. So it is basically the same as the academies of the Romans. Do many of the people in your country attend to these schools?"
"Yes, everybody goes to school. Going to school is mandatory until the age of 18."
Bedivere was listening attentively. "It is widely spread in my age, especially in the wealthier countries. That includes England, for your information."
"In this time and age, the only ones who can read and write are the nobility, knights, merchants, clergy and other persons of importance. Outside of those, most of the population is completely illiterate. They also have precious little time to bother with education." Bedivere sounded a bit depressed after hearing Shirou talk about school. "Well most of them are farmers after all. They usually spend most of the year providing food to the kingdom. Which is a constant struggle, most of the time." The two of them finished breakfast. Then Bedivere continued. "Emiya Shirou. Today I will be once again be thy attendant. Is there anything thou would like to do?"
Shirou thought for a moment. "Well, I'm not sure actually, but how about you show me around the castle? It would be useful to know my way around."
"That is a good idea." Bedivere agreed. "Well then, since we hast finished breakfast, we can begin the tour of the castle."
"Now?" Bedivere nodded. "Okay, then. Lead the way."
Bedivere guided Shirou through the majority of the castle. Some of the rooms Shirou already knew about. The Library, the throne room, etc. Bedivere showed him the many halls and rooms of the castle. Guards and servants quarters, the trophy room, the kitchen and the armory, amongst other things. They eventually arrived at an indoor training hall, which had large doors exiting to the courtyard. In one of the training areas he saw Gawain sparring with another knight. There were two other knights and a bunch of soldiers watching the duel.
The knight, who was sparring with Gawain, had long, smooth brown hair and a neatly trimmed ring beard. His eyes were chestnut brown. The armor he wore was similar to Bedivere's, but he was wearing a bright blue tunic underneath his armor. One could see clearly the two white keys in mirror image which decorated his battle-skirt. Shirou estimated him to be in his late twenties.
Of the two on watching knights, one was covered completely in magnificent, with gold decorated armor. From the back hang night-blue colored ribbons, tipped with golden points. The armor was a true work of craftsmanship, striking a perfect meld between magnificence and functionality. His hair was long, smooth and purple. And his face was handsome and undoubtedly admired and envied by many, sporting gray eyes. Judging from his appearance, he was probably in his early thirties. His sword was equally brilliant and matched his armor. With a night-blue and gold colored handle and cross guard. And silver chains were spanning around the cross guard.
The last knight had sand colored hair and goatee and steel blue colored eyes. His armor was again very similar to Bedivere's but it was decorated with a red cross on the breast plate.
Shirou and Bedivere watched silently at the duel. Both Gawain and the other knight were extremely good. Shirou noticed Gawain's sword. A beautiful sword with a blade that shines like the sun and a night blue handle and cross guard, somewhat shaped like a drop.
"What sword is Gawain using?" Shirou whispered to Bedivere.
"That is Excalibur Galatine. It is the sister-sword of Excalibur. Just as Gawain receives his blessing from the sun, the sword draws its power from the sun."
Shirou couldn't keep his eyes from the sword. Shirou sometimes wondered why he was fascinated by swords so much. Shirou had difficulty following the duel. Both men moved like whirlwinds, but Shirou knew that these two weren't going at it seriously. This was nothing more than a leisurely sparring match. If that is the case, than Shirou could not begin to imagine how it would be should they be going at it for real. Gawain and the knight dueled for a while further. Both knights were about equally matched, exchanging blows and countering feints. Until Gawain executed a devastating riposte and disarmed the other knight. The spectators applauded. After that the soldiers dispersed and went back to their business.
"Haha, you fought well, sir Kay, but you have still some ways to go." Gawain declared and he sheathed his blade. Sir Kay extended his hand. Gawain returned the handshake with a broad smile. "We should do this more often."
"Agreed." Then Gawain noticed Bedivere and Shirou.
"Looks like there were others watching." Gawain exclaimed upon seeing Shirou and Bedivere. Everybody turned their heads to look at them. "Sir Bedivere and Emiya Shirou. Come over here. I will introduce thee to the other knights."
Shirou and Bedivere walked over to the other knights. "Let me introduce you." Gawain patted the knight he dueled on his shoulder. "This here is Sir Kay."
Kay smiled faintly and made a slight bow. "Gawain hast told us of how thou saved his live. I never thought Sir Gawain would ever needed saving." Kay laughed. Gawain rolled his eyes. "And these two souls, are Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad." He gestured at the black armored knight and the one with the red cross respectively.
"It is my honor to meet you." Galahad bowed and extended his hand. Lancelot did the same. "As is mine." he said.
"Pleased to meet you. Sir Galahad, sir Lancelot." Shirou said as he shook their hands.
"My fellow knights, let me introduce thee to Emiya Shirou from Japan."
"We have heard from Merlin and Gawain that you are from the future. Is this true?" Kay was looking at Shirou with intrigue, to which Shirou nodded.
"Yes, pretty much."
"How intriguing. It is hard to believe, however at the very least I can tell that you are not lying." Kay spoke softly. "Why don't you join us for a drink?"
Kay motioned to a table in the corner. Several barrels with taps stood next to the table and on the wall was a shelf lined with mugs. Shirou followed Kay to the table and sat down on one of the stools. Galahad, Lancelot and Gawain sat themselves down on the opposite side and Bedivere took a stool next to Shirou. Kay poured in and handed out the ale.
"So, mister Emiya. Tell us more about yourself." Kay sat down next to Shirou and took a sip of ale. "Do you have many family and friends?" He asked inquisitively.
"Well, I am 17 and ever since my dad died, I live alone. Afterwards Fujimura Taiga, my guardian, looked after me. Her grandfather takes care of the important aspects, like the taxes and such, until I'm old enough and can maintain it myself."
"Ohh, you says that your guardian's grandfather takes care of the important aspects until you are old enough?" Kay and the rest were surprised, although Shirou couldn't figure out why.
"I believe you had mentioned it yesterday, hast thou not?" Bedivere remembered Shirou telling about it. "If you are wondering as to why we are surprised, I will tell you that in our country one is considered an adult when at least fourteen winters. So it is a bit surprising to us."
"I see. I guess that is normal for this day and age. But in my time the standard of living is substantially higher and life is more peaceful too. And with the improved medical care people can live longer, so the legal age for being considered an adult lies higher as well."
"That is understandable." Kay stroked his beard. "Now that you have told us a bit more about yourself, it is our turn. I am the son of sir Ector and the king's foster-brother. I have known the king since childhood and I can say proudly that I am amongst his most trusted." Kay said proudly, but there was Shirou noticed a hint of sadness in his voice. "My skills with the sword are worthy of a knight of the round table, but as you hast just witnessed, not the best. My true talents lie with finances, management and diplomacy." There was no boasting in his words, only the humble truth.
"Ay, That is very much true." Bedivere grinned. "He often advises the king on financial and diplomatic matters. As for me … Well, I am the head of the royal guard. I have worked hard to reach this position and I am truly proud to stand at the king's side." Bedivere said that with a proud, yet surprisingly humble tone.
"Let none question that fact. My name is sir Lancelot, knight of the lake. I was the first knight to join the king and the knights of the round table." Lancelot voice sounded masculine, yet gentle. "My interests are traditions and etiquettes."
"And as previously introduced, I am Galahad. I am skilled with both the spear and the sword. I love a good hunt more than anything." Galahad said casually.
"May we inquire about your hometown?" Kay asked. "I am kind of eager to learn as to what kind of place it is."
Shirou took a sip from his mug. "The city is called Fuyuki, which means snowy winter. Fuyuki city is split by the Mion river in to two towns. There is the older district, Miyama town, which is a suburban area with traditional buildings. It too can be divided in two parts, namely the traditional Japanese district, were my house is located and the foreigners houses district. This is were the descendants of foreign immigrants live."
Shirou paused for a moment to let the information sink in. "There is a cross section between these two districts which connects to the school, the shopping district, ehhh … that is a sort of merchants district. Than there is the temple and the bridge to Shinto town. Shinto town is the newer district. It has undergone intensive redevelopment after an inferno destroyed a large part of the town ten years ago."
"Interesting. Could you explain what a traditional Japanese house is like. And what are considered traditional domestic customs and etiquette?" Lancelot asked. Shirou gave them a quick breakdown of a traditional Japanese house and basic traditional customs. Lancelot was really inquisitive about the Japanese traditions and etiquette. "The customs sound really interesting. I would like to experience it sometime."
"You really are into traditions and etiquette. Aren't you, Sir Lancelot?" Shirou grinned.
Lancelot smiled. "Traditions and etiquette are important. They are an important part of one's cultural heritage. And knowing the traditions and etiquette from other countries is always useful." Shirou could readily agree with that.
Now Galahad had some questions. "I would like to know about your talents."
"My talents? As in what I'm good at and stuff I like to do?" Galahad nodded in confirmation. "Well, I like fixing things. Next to that I'm also fond of doing household chores, especially cooking. And I have some skill with archery."
"Cooking, household chores?" Galahad raised a brow in surprise. The others too looked a bit uncertain of how to react to this fact. "Usually that is a woman's duty."
"Well, I live alone, so I have to. But I rather like it. And Sakura also helps around the house from time to time." Shirou explained.
"Sakura? Is that a girl by chance?" Galahad smiled whimsical. Shirou nodded. He smiled involuntarily when he thought about Sakura.
"I believe you had mentioned her last evening." Bedivere recalled.
"She is my friend's sister. About a year and a half ago I injured my shoulder. Because of that she ended up helping me with the household, which was really helpful. In return I taught her how to cook and now we are sort of competing over who can cook best."
"Let us talk about something else. You mentioned archery? Are you an archer in your country?" Gawain asked after taking a huge gulp of ale.
"For a short time. I was part of the archery club, but I had to quit for a while after receiving that shoulder injury. I ended up quiting entirely though." Shirou admitted. He also quickly explained the concept of a club when he saw their puzzled faces.
"How good are your skills with the bow, if I may ask?" Gawain put down his mug.
"Decent I would say."
"Could you demonstrate? You have peaked my curiosity." Lancelot smiled in expectation.
Shirou shrugged his shoulders. "I have nothing to do right now, so ...sure. Why not?"
"The archery range is outside." Gawain stood up and walked to the door. "I have a feeling that this should be good."
Shirou and the others followed him to the archery range. This turn of events was rather abrupt. At the archery range there stood several wooden dummies lined up at a distance of around thirty-fourthy meters.
"Here take this bow and quiver. We are curious to see your skills with the bow." Galahad had taken a bow and a quiver from a rack and handed the items to Shirou.
"Very well. It's been a while, but I think I'll manage." Shirou took position and readied the bow. He lifted the bow up and knocked an arrow. He drew as he brought them back down , aimed and loosed the arrow. He hit the dummy square in the face.
"Nice shot." Bedivere whistled, mildly impressed. "But can you do it again?" In response Shirou lined his second shot and fired another arrow. This time he hit the hearth. After that he shot several more arrows, every one of them hit the target. And most of then would have been an instant or near-instant kill shots.
"More than decent, I would say." Gawain remarked afterwards. He and the others were now more than a little impressed. "I am glad we are not enemies."
"I concur. That was some fine shooting there." Everybody turned around to find Arthur standing there. The knights bowed to their king. Shirou followed their example. "I saw you shooting from the balcony and decided to come take a look."
"Thank you. Eh, how are you today?"
"I am fine. Thank you for asking. By the way, don't you have magic training with Merlin?"
"Ohh. He is to train with Merlin?" Kay made a face somewhere between a smile and a painful expression. "You better keep your guard up, mister Shirou. Merlin is infamous for pulling pranks."
Shirou looked at Kay. "Now you mentioned it. Didn't you say something like that yesterday when we were in Merlin's tower?"
"Indeed. Merlin is known for pulling some serious pranks. Not many of them which are appreciated." Bedivere elaborated with an expression of hopelessness. "I remember the time when he put something in the guards drinks, turning them blue for a week."
"Or the time he made that poor baker think he was a dog." Kay added. "And not to mention how he steals women's undergarments."
"I see. Wait! Merlin steals womens underwear?" Shirou suddenly had a vision of Merlin sneaking into somebody's home at night and stealing underwear. Hopefully Merlin doesn't use the portal to get to his time.
"Yes, he does. And those are some of his more … innocent pranks." Gawain's expression was one of anger and embarrassment. Clearly he had been a victim of one of Merlins pranks. Then Gawain's expression softened. "However, he is also an avid womanizer. That is one of the few things I do like about him. He should tell us sometime how he keeps reeling in women."
"It certainly is troublesome. I have been lenient towards him, as he is my advisor and mentor." Arthur sighed. "His magecraft has also proved invaluable on numerous occasions. However one of these days I will be forced to lock him up for real."
"Come on. It was not all that bad." Merlin had suddenly popped up behind them, grinning mischievously. "There is nothing wrong with having a good laugh. And regarding those women, I always considered love the most important thing in the world, I have you know."
"That is indeed troublesome." Shirou started to feel really uneasy about training with Merlin.
"Anyway, I would like to tell you, Shirou, that the training will start after lunch. Can't train on an empty stomach after all."
"Ohh, so you are the stranger I heard so much about." Everybody turned around at the sound of the somewhat muffled voice. There stood a knight with a rather small frame, but he was completely covered in heavy silver-white armor with red markings, complete with a matching helmet sporting two large horns. Most of the other knights looked at him with a imperceptible expression.
"Sir Mordred. It has been a while since I last saw you. I see that you have calmed your temper since the incident." Arthur's looked at Mordred with a calm expression.
"I have indeed, king Arthur." Mordred waved his hand, sounding a little annoyed. He looked at the dummy. "It seems your guest is a capable archer. My name is Sir Mordred. May I ask your name?"
"Good day, Sir Mordred. My name is Emiya Shirou. But you can call me Emiya or Shirou." Shirou extended his hand. Mordred looked at Shirou's hand for a moment then he grasped Shirou's hand in a strong handshake. Shirou thought that he was trying to break his fingers.
"Well met. You are certainly good with a bow, but how good are you with a sword?"
"Not good actually. I did a little training with my dad and a friend, but that was some time ago."
"Ah, I see. I hear that you maybe stuck here for a while. Maybe somebody could train you in the ways of the sword. I doth not think 'tis a bad idea."
"Maybe not. I'll think about it." Suddenly Shirou's stomach growled.
"I think we all should go and grab a bite. Its high noon already." Galahad said after noticing the position of the sun.
"Good idea." Arthur put his hand on his stomach, as it too growled. They followed the king to the mess hall. Everywhere they go people bowed as the king passed and when they arrived at the mess hall everybody stood up and bowed to the king.
"Everybody can return to their meals. Somebody bring us some food." Arthur ordered calmly.
"I already ate so I don't need anything." Mordred added.
Not long after, a couple of servants arrived and put down plates laden with raw vegetables, pieces of meat and some mugs with ale. Shirou took out his chopsticks and started eating. The food was just as tasteless as the food from yesterday evening.
"That is a strange way of eating." Mordred commented when he saw Shirou using his chopsticks. "But not a bad one. 'Much cleaner then eating with ones bare hands."
"It is standard cutlery in my homeland. Aren't you going to remove your helmet?"
"I never remove my helmet." Mordred said with a bored tone. "In fact, It is a part of my armor itself."
"Indeed. I don't think anybody hast ever seen Mordred's face." Lancelot said. A short tense silence fell. Only Arthur continued with her meal unhindered.
"Anyway. Tell us mister Shirou. How does our food compare to the food in thy country? Does it taste good?" Kay said to break the tense atmosphere.
"There is nothing wrong with the food, I would say." Gawain declared with absolute certainty. "I have never heard of anybody complaining about our food. Besides, when it comes to food it is quantity and not quality that counts."
"Regardless, can you give me your honest opinion?" Kay casted an annoyed glance at Gawain.
"My honest opinion." Shirou looked at Kay somewhat nervous, to which Kay nodded rather exaggerated.
"Okay, then. To be honest I don't know if your cooks simply lack imagination or if they are just being plain lazy." Everybody looked at Shirou with stunned expressions, even Arthur.
"The food is pretty much tasteless. And especially the meat is though, dry, … either overcooked or undercooked. And too much vinegar too." Nobody noticed one of the servants sneaking away after hearing Shirou's comment.
"That was ...pretty direct." Said Galahad.
"Direct. I would say it was rude." Gawain's grumbled. "There is nothing wrong with the food. Nobody, not even the king, hast ever complained about it."
"Shirou, do you really mean what thou just said?" Everybody's gaze turned to the king now, curious about how their king would react. Arthur was looking at Shirou with a hint of anticipation on her calm face.
"Yes. I mean it! I'm sorry if I have offended you, but that just how it is." Shirou declared without hesitation. Arthur suddenly averted her gaze. They could hear her gritting her teeth.
"So it is. I thank you, Shirou. You are the first person to openly admit it." Arthur said, with a hint of loathing in her voice. Everybody was stunned at the kings words. "I can not cook myself and while I am not displeased by it, I went along with it because the knights acknowledged it as tasting good." The knights were at a loss for words.
"Who is the one claiming that our cooking is bad?" Somebody grumbled suddenly behind them. Everybody turned to see a small, burly man dressed in a simple tunic and a stained apron. He was middle-aged, had light green eyes and sported black unkempt hair. He made a bow when he saw the king, then he looked at Shirou with disdain. "Who are you to insult our cooking? We work our arses off every day to keep the people of the castle well fed."
"I'm sure you do. Your food would definitely give them the energy they need, but the taste is another matter entirely." Shirou shot back. "Even if you need to keep hundreds of people fed, that is no excuse for the poor taste."
"Food is meant to keep people fed and full of energy. In the end it just is boiling or roasting meat and vegetables. That is all there is to it." Everybody was now following their argument intensively.
"No, you're wrong. There is way more to it than that."
"The lad is right." Mordred said, much to everybody's surprise. "I have a man under my command that cooks better than this. Speaking of which, I just had an idea. Why don't we let mister Emiya cook tonight? Maybe the castle cooks can learn a thing or two." Mordred said with a chuckle. The cook looked at Mordred with disbelief, then he looked at the king as if pleading.
"Mordred's idea is not bad. What do you say, Shirou? Would you like to cook for us tonight?" Arthur asked calmly.
Shirou didn't need to think about it. "No problem, but it will be after Merlin is done with his lessons. Before I go to him, I can check out the kitchen and see what I have to work with. Maybe send out some people to get some additional ingredients."
"Very well. I am sorry mister Everill, but Shirou will be in charge of supper today." The cook looked at the king downcast, his feelings clearly hurt.
"Very well, my king." The cook left with a sobbing face.
"I will be joining you tonight as well!" Mordred declared. "I am quite interested in what Emiya is going to cook."
"Are you going to remove your helmet then?" Kay asked incredulous.
"Ay, but I will wear different one for the occasion." He tapped his finger on the table. "I should be able to find another one just for that." He mumbled.
"That is agreed then. Shirou will cook for us tonight." Arthur stated. "Now if you would excuse me, I have some business to attend to." Arthur left the table and walked to the door.
"Is she always that serious? She doesn't show much emotions, does she?" Shirou remarked.
"The king never shows emotion." Bedivere replied with a sad voice. "And mister Shirou, the king is a man. I know his appearance can be misleading, but please try to remember that." Bedivere requested politely.
"I'll do that." He sighed. It was however obvious that Shirou didn't really mean it. He still stood by his belief that Arthur was a girl, which somewhat annoyed the knights. Shirou caught Kay looking at him, like if to say: 'At least somebody realized the truth.'
Afterwards Shirou went to inspect the kitchen with Bedivere. Shirou determined that he could make do with the available utensils, but he did ask to have some additional ingredients fetched and to have some chopsticks made for this evening.
When Shirou and Bedivere went to Merlin's tower, they were intercepted by Kay.
"Sir Kay. Surprised to see you. Is there something you need?" Bedivere asked.
"Ay. I was hoping I could lead Shirou to Merlin's tower instead. There is something I wanted to discuss with him. In private, please." Bedivere looked at Shirou, who looked at Kay curiously for a moment, before an expression of understanding appeared on his face.
"Ahh, alright. Sir Bedivere, if you don't mind." Bedivere was obviously curious about it all, but he didn't force the matter.
"As you wish. Sir Kay, mister Shirou." Bedivere left them alone, while Shirou and sir Kay continued to Merlin's tower.
"I guess you want to talk about the king being a girl. Everybody seems not to notice, but you do."
"I grew up with the king, as she is my foster sister. Merlin made a contract with his magic to silence me, so I can not talk about it as I please. But it's a different matter when the one I am talking to has realized it by himself"
"Merlin did?"
"Yes, Merlin. I understand of course. In this day and age it is only natural that the king is male. You should be careful when speaking about it though. Merlin knows that you are aware of the truth, so he will try to silence you if he deems it necessary."
"Yeah, I know. So, you and Merlin are the only ones who know about it?"
"The king's father knows too of course." They stopped at the entrance to Merlin's tower. "We are here. We will discuss this matter further another time."
"Alright, I will see you tonight." Kay nodded and walked away.
"Before you go ..." Kay turned around. "I heard there had been an incident between Mordred and the King. What happened between the two?"
Sir Kay looked at Shirou hesitantly for a moment. "Mordred came out of no-where and earned his place at the round table trough his own strength. He has upheld the ways of chivalry like no other."
Kay rubbed his eye and sighed. "For as long as we hast known him, he has never removed his helmet and no-one knew where he came from. But a couple of months ago he appeared before the king and declared himself to be the king's son. It turned out he was born from the king and Morgan le Fay, through Morgan's scheme's. He arrogantly asked the king to acknowledge him as his son and heir to the throne. The king rejected him clearly and Mordred had left the castle in anger. It seems he has managed to cool his temper and straighten himself out since then." Kay's expression showed some doubt. "But I don't trust him. I can feel that he is plotting something.
Shirou pondered about what Kay just told him. Of course, how could have forgotten. According to the legend Mordred was king Arthur's son. The legend ended when Mordred rebelled against the king. There was one thing that did not make sense to him, however.
"Sir Kay? Arthur is a girl, so how can she be the father?"
Kay threw his arms up. "Merlin is half incubus. He probably used his magic on her so she could produce an heir." He sounded really disturbed by it. Not really surprising, though. "But now I really need to go. See you tonight. I am rather curious of what you are going to make for supper." Sir Kay turned around and went down the stairs. Shirou followed him with his gaze until he was gone, before entering Merlin's tower.