21

Monday morning, the ninth of October. Shirou was walking through the corridor with Bedivere. Bedivere had been asking him on how one enters high school. Shirou found it odd that Bedivere reintroduced the subject back, since they probably wouldn't remain here long enough for that to have any use. "Why are you seemingly so interested in sending her to school?" Shirou finally asked.
B

edivere stopped and checked if they were alone. After discerning that it was indeed the case, he looked Shirou in the eyes. "Look, I admire the king like none other and being by her side is the highest honor for me. I have always believed that her indifference was her merely trying to be fair." He sighed heavily. "What I desired more than anything other, was to see her true expressions. Even though I spent more time at her side than anybody else, I have never seen her smile. It always angered me that the king who worked harder than anybody was never granted the happiness she deserved."
"Why didn't anyone confronted her with it?" Shirou asked. "You all knew it."
"I guess everybody had their reasons. And while I wanted my king to find happiness for her self, I was enable to do anything for her." Suddenly a smile appeared on his face. "Until you came, Emiya Shirou." Shirou stared at him confused. "Because of you, she smiled for the first time since I can remember. What I am trying to say is, Shirou...you may be the only one who got through her." Out of nowhere, Bedivere suddenly bowed before him. Shirou took a couple of steps back because of this sudden development. "I ask you...I implore you, will you help me and make her smile?"
"So you're hoping that sending her to school and spending time with me, will break that shell of hers, so to say?" Shirou asked nervously. Bedivere gave a firm nod. "Very well. Since it means so much to you I will help you. Besides, her behavior bothers me as well."
"Thank you, Shirou." Bedivere stood up, only to be met with Shirou' extended hand. Bedivere smirked and gave Shirou a firm handshake.
"Shall, we go and grab some breakfast then? Sakura should be about finished with it." Bedivere smiled and followed Shirou. The tumult of shouting reached their ears as they approached the kitchen.
"Taiga! I ask you not to take my portion!" Arturia complained loudly. "You have yours, so don't!"
"I need the energy for teaching." Taiga protested. "Besides you always take more than any of us!" When Shirou and Bedivere entered the room, they found Taiga and Arturia bickering. Sakura was following them with stunned silence. Kay followed it all with intrigue, while Gawain seemed totally baffled as he probably couldn't understand why his king was acting like this. And Merlin was obviously enjoying it to its fullest.
"That is besides the issue!" Arturia retorted. "I had already claimed those portions from the beginning. First come, first served."
Shirou shook his head. "Alright you two, knock it off." Shirou intervened. "Arturia just let Taiga have it. I'll make you something extra afterwards, okay?" Bedivere sat himself down silently at the table. When he looked at Kay inquiring, he merely lifted his shoulders and smiled, before both of them turned their attention back to her.
"Very well, Shirou. I take you up on your offer." Arturia conceded, satisfied with Shirou's proposal. Sakura looked at Shirou with some relief. "One more thing Shirou, me and the others are going to explore the city, so feel free to go to school."
"Hmm, the city? Well, I guess that I have shown you the most important parts the city and you know the address...but are you sure?" Shirou inquired surprised.
"Yes. We will explore the city for ourselves and we will see each other again this evening." Kay confirmed. "Don't worry about, we will find our way back."
"That's fine by me. But I don't have enough key's for the house. Normally the last person leaving, normally me, closes of the house." Shirou explained.
"I understand. Then one of us will remain behind and watch the house." Bedivere suggested. "If that is alright with you you?"
"A good idea, Bedivere." Kay agreed. "What do you say, Shirou?"
"I have no objections." He affirmed. "But I would prefer that it was not Merlin if this means that he is left alone."
"You do have a point there." Kay related. "I will keep an eye on him, as I fully understand your concerns." He casted a glance at Merlin.
"Oh my, oh my. It seems that I'm not that trusted." Merlin grumbled.
"Uhm, Arturia. This does mean that your extra portion will have to wait for this evening." Shirou remarked.
"That's not a problem. As long as you follow through on your promise." Arturia assured him.
"Okay, but what about lunch?" Shirou continued.
"We will seek out an establishment somewhere in the city." Gawain explained. "That being said, could you tell us what the prices are which we can expect?"
"Sure, I can give you an estimate." Shirou told them what they could expect regarding prices. They soon finished breakfast and went on their way. While Taiga, Shirou and Sakura went to school, Kay and Merlin went to explore Shinto. Bedivere and Arturia remained in Shinto. Gawain stayed behind today. Or at least until noon, when Kay and Merlin would bring him some food, before he would set out himself.
"Do you think that it will be alright, Senpai?" Sakura fretted.
"They are all very mature. Merlin is the only real concern and he has Kay watching him." Shirou assured her, making feel Sakura at ease.
"I don't really like that Merlin." Taiga growled. "But that Bedivere is rather interesting. He always looks so protective and reliable." Her growling turned to humming. Sakura and Shirou were surprised at Taiga's apparent interest in him. They looked at each other with stunned expressions.
Ayako was walking to the school with Mordred walking beside her. "You know that outsiders aren't allowed on school grounds." Ayako reminded her.
"I know, Ayako." Mordred assured her. "I'm just walking with you part of the way. While you are off to your school, I'll be going about town. There are some places which have piqued my interest."
"Like the church?" Ayako quizzed. "I never figured you for the religious type."
"Because, I'm not." Mordred intoned. "I'm just sight seeing a bit." They arrived at the intersection. Mordred stopped and faced her with a haughty grin. "This is where we split off. See you back this evening."
"You too, Mordred. Have a nice day." Ayako waved as she continued on. Mordred returned the gesture.
"Now, let's find the others." Mordred took out the necklace and made sure that she was alone. "veilede!" The rune started to glow faintly. Mordred could see a trail made from thin green mist which showed her the path. "On we go."
She marched for several hours. Following the road until the mist guided her deep into the forest. Suddenly a barrier blocked her way. When she came into contact with it, she could hear a voice in her head and a heavy weight pressing on her shoulders. "State thy name!"
Mordred sighed. "Sir Mordred." The weight vanished and Mordred continued. She soon reached the castle. "Fancy." She whistled. The castle was clearly built for luxury. The palisade which was currently constructed around it ruined the aesthetics completely. She spotted a couple of clay golems aiding in the construction.
"Sir Mordred!" Mordred turned to see Giraud and Beves coming up to greet her. "I thought you would join us a couple of days later?"
"That is correct. But I had some time on my hands and decided to come and see our base." Mordred explained as she examined the place.
"Dunstan and Esdelot are in the basement." Giraud informed her. "Shall I send for them?"
"Later. Why don't you show me around first?"
"Of course, Sir Mordred. Follow me, please." Giraud and Beves led on. Many of the men stared at her dumbfounded as they passed by. They let their gazes trace every inch of this girls body and their faces gave no illusions about their thoughts. Mordred's felt her irritation rise more and more. Giraud noticed this.
"Get back to work, ye numskulls. Don't you realize that this is Sir Mordred?" Giraud barked. "Stop gawking before you incur her ire." Their face contorted from amazement and fear. The fact that this was Mordred sank their lusts instantly and they quickly returned to work.
"Good work, Giraud." Mordred praised him.
"Thank you, Sir Mordred." Giraud looked at her slightly enervated. "However, may I suggest that you put on that jacket of yours? I have to admit that your current attire is... let's say rather distractive." He decided.
Mordred bit her lip in annoyance. "Very well. If it's really that much of a problem." She put on her jacket. Giraud led her inside.
"Quite luxurious." Mordred remarked. "Not even Camelot is this lavish. Do we know who owns this place?"
"We know that the owner is a magus, but other than that we have found nothing specific." Giraud fretted. "Whoever it is, Esdelot is confident that he or she won't be much of a threat to us."
"That's good to know." Mordred replied satisfied. They passed through what was obviously a dining room. Mordred felt a little annoyed when she saw the beautiful table dirtied by all the food scraps which lied on the table and floor. It made this room look like a pigsty. "Giraud, have the man clean up this mess. Outlaws or not, this is just too dirty."
Giraud scratched his head. "I will see to it." The entire castle was indeed beautiful and extravagant. The walls of the rooms had decorations carved in them, the floors were covered with marble and carpets. Paintings and portraits were present pretty much everywhere. Finally Giraud stopped in front of a double door. "This is the largest room we could find, so it would naturally belong to you, Sir Mordred."
The room was indeed large. It had canopy bed and lush carpets decorated the floor. To the south was a large window which lead to a balcony overlooking the courtyard. On the east side of the room was a bath chamber with a bad large enough to accommodate at least six people. Mordred whistled. "This make Camelot look like a poorhouse."
"But it most certainly is the one most adequate for someone of your position." Beves asserted meekly. Mordred lifted her eyebrow. "I mean you are the soon to be king of Britain."
Mordred's expression grew blank. "Yes, that I am." She stared outside the window. "I have seen enough for now. Giraud, bring me to Dunstan and Esdelot."
"At once, my lord." Giraud led her in the basement. Along the way they passed what was obviously a whine cellar and a distillery. Giraud stopped before a heavy door. "This is it."
Mordred stepped passed Giraud and entered. A moldy smell greeted her and she scowled. A loud voice yelled out. "Who enters without my permission!? I have clearly ordered that..." Esdelot fell silent when he noticed Mordred. Dunstan looked at her calmly.
"Ordered who?" Mordred mused annoyed.
"Sir Mordred? Of course you may seek me out whenever you wish." Esdelot apologized with obvious disdain. "I though you were someone else, so please forgive my outburst."
Mordred sighed. "Whatever." She looked around. Esdelot had already converted the room into his workshop. He had brought along a ton of equipment, ranging from alchemical supplies to precious metals and gems to odd devices for God knows what purpose. She saw two near identical males with short and long, green hair respectively, working on what looked like eight glass containers filled with liquid.
"Those two are Ardent and Callous." Esdelot pointed to the one with long and short hair respectively. "They are HOMUNCULI." He intoned that word in particular, casting a pleasurable glance from the corners of his eyes at Mordred. Mordred didn't notice since her attention went to the two homunculi, bitting her lip with an faint insecure look in her eyes. Dunstan's eyes moved between the two, while Giraud looked at her with a concerning frown. Beves was just confused by the atmosphere.
"I see." Mordred regained her composure. "At any rate, I have encountered someone who might give us more information about the Holy Grail." She disclosed. "A priest approached me out of nowhere and told me he could provide answers."
"You have? That is good news. However you said that the priest approached you, or did I mishear?" Dunstan noted.
"No, you didn't." Mordred confirmed. "It is indeed suspicious. What's more is that he knew who I was and he even was aware of my father. He said to meet him at the church when I wished."
"How could that be?" Beves exclaimed perplexed. Everybody looked at him. "I mean, we have only just arrived here, so how could he have known?"
"A valid point, Beves." Giraud acknowledged. "I would say that we have this priest come to us, rather than we go to him."
"That is only logical." Dunstan nodded. "What do you say, Sir Mordred?"
"While I feel that I can't trust him, my instincts tell me that he doesn't want to harm me...at least not yet." Mordred leaned against the wall and looked at them with certainty. "I will meet him at the church."
"Are you certain, Sir Mordred?" Giraud frowned.
Mordred nodded firmly with a grin. "Yes. Besides if we were to imprison him or end up killing him, it would rouse suspicion and alert the authorities."
"If that is your decision." Dunstan conceded.
"Now then. Esdelot, what are your current, short term plans for our quest?" Mordred inquired.
"I will be making some more homunculi and some Golems to add to our forces. Next to that, I will be examining the leylines and search for other Magi in the area." He explained calmly, however when he mentioned the homunculi, a hint of unease could be seen on Mordred's face. "I will also look into strengthening our defenses further in conjunction with Giraud and Dunstan."
"And we will continue to keep an eye on the city as well." Giraud added. Mordred nodded, satisfied with the current plans.
"Good. That will do for now." Mordred took her sword and headed to the door. "I'll be going and meet that priest. I'll see you again tomorrow or I'll contact you with the medallion." She exited the room.
"Wait, Sir Mordred. Allow me to show you out." Beves hurried after her. Giraud, Dunstan and Esdelot remained behind.
When he deemed them to be out of hearing range, Giraud turned to Esdelot. "What was that all about?" He demanded.
"You mean that with the homunculi?" Esdelot jeered. "Ah...you don't know. I forgot." He snickered. Giraud looked at him incredulously.
"Sir Mordred is also a homunculus." Giraud's gaze shifted to Dunstan.
"What are homunculi?" He had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.
"Homunculi are beings created through alchemical formula. As in they are artificial lifeforms shaped like humans." Esdelot explained with pleasure dripping from his words. Understanding began to show in Giraud's eyes. "When made to perfection, they could live for centuries, if not forever. However, Mordred was created with the seed of Arturia and Morgan developed her in her own womb, so she is a somewhat unusual in that regard. Also, she wasn't made to perfection."
"Meaning..." Giraud didn't like where this was going.
"Think about it, she was born after Arturia ascended the throne. So she is actually less then ten years old. Not only that, but she was made only as a means to overthrow the king, so she has only...hehehehe... a few more years to live." Esdelot laughed. Giraud felt rage boiling up within him and stormed out. He could hear Esdelot's laughter reverberating in his ears.
She was born from Morgan and the King, which is basically incest. And a homunculus with a short lifespan to boot. Giraud shook his head. He couldn't begin to imagine how that would feel like. He never cared about the rebellion or the motives and circumstances of people like Morgan or Mordred. But this just rubbed him the wrong way.
Arturia and Bedivere stood at the bottom to the stairs. The structure had caught their eye when they were searching the town. Ryuudou temple, is what Shirou called it. Bedivere looked at Arturia. "Well, we are scouting the city, so we would have to check it eventually." He smirked.
Arturia agreed with that. "Let's go take a look then, Bedeivere." They started ascending the stairs to the temple. It was a long set of stairs, but nothing they couldn't handle with ease. The surrounding forest made it all feel very peaceful and calming.
"How peaceful. Despite the climb, it all feels rather sooting. Wouldn't you say?" Bedivere observed the surroundings. Letting the peace and quiet seep into him.
"Most certainly. Shirou's culture has a completely different philosophy behind it. you can feel it, just by ascending these stairs." Arturia gave a small, relaxed sigh.
"Quite a climb." Bedivere remarked when they arrived at the top. He examined the court yard. "It really feels tranquil and solemn. A lot more open, too. Totally different from our own."
"You're right, Bedivere." He gave a calm sigh. "It is really calming."
"Ah...Arturia-san, Bedivere-san." A voice called out to them. When they turned to face the source they saw Neko-san waving at them. Next to her stood a man in a black monk robes and with a shaved head. She and the man walked up to them. "Are you sight-seeing? Oh yeah, this is Ryuudou Reikan. He's the head monk's oldest son."
"Pleased to meet you." He greeted. "Have you come to visit our temple?"
"Yes, we are good man. My name is Arturia Pendragon." She replied politely. "And this is my trusted friend, Bedivere."
"Good day to you." Bedivere greeted. "You have a very nice temple."
"Thank you, Bedivere-san."
"It sure is, me says." Neko laughed. "So how are things at Emiya-n's house?"
"We find our time thus far enjoyable." Bedivere informed her.
"Has that Tiger been a bit manageable?" Neko inquired suddenly.
"Tiger?" Bedivere and Arturia responded in unison.
"Fujimura's nickname." Reikan informed them. "Though she doesn't like that name." He laughed.
"Now, I remember. Yes, she did mention something about that. Thanks. Do you know Taiga as well, Reikan...-san?" Bedivere wondered.
"Indeed. The three of us went together to Homurahara." He recalled. "I even tried to ask her out a few times. Unfortunately her father's subordinates got in the way." He grinned painfully as he recalled those times.
"Ya bet they did. He even got hospitalized few times." Neko frowned. Drawing perplexed expressions from Arturia and Bedivere. Raiga didn't seem that bad. "Did you know that she is Homurabara's most dangerous former student? I always worry about how she influences Emiyan."
"She sure is very lively, I can agree with that. I rather like that in a woman." Bedivere confessed.
"Most certainly. I also find her very honest and open-minded. Such a person is rare." Arturia defended her. "Understanding that, I can understand how Shirou has grown up to be so honest." Her emotionless expression was momentarily replaced by a warm smile.
Reikan and Neko were surprised at their assessment of Taiga. They smiled in response, as it was very much true. "Well, I have to agree with that." Neko conceded placing her fist on her hip.
"True enough." Reikan's expression darkened a little bit. "Say, Bedivere. Are you interested in Taiga?" He queried. Bedivere was momentarily stunned by the sudden question.
"Not really. I have only just met her. I merely said that I prefer lively women." Bedivere explained calmly. That seemed to satisfy Reikan. "So, how were you acquainted with Shirou-kun again?"
"We were friends of Emiya Kiritsugu. He told us we could stay at his place should we ever be in the neighborhood." Arturia brought the story convincingly. "It was rather sad to learn of his passing."
"I can understand that." Reikan acknowledged. "I could show you his grave, if you want."
"That would be very kind of you, Reikan-san." Bedivere thanked him.
"Right this way." Reikan motioned them to follow. "And Neko-kun, you can ask some of the monks to help you carry the liquor. Just tell them I said so." He smiled.
"Thank you, Reikan." Neko cheered. "See you later you guys." She walked towards the the main building, as Reikan guided Arturia and Bedivere to the graveyard.
"Forgive me for prying Arturia-san, but I get the impression that you don't show much emotions." Reikan suddenly inquired. Arturia and Bedivere looked at him calmly. "I haven't offended you, I hope?"
"No, Reikan-san. It is as you say." Arturia divulged. "The reason is that I find that emotions impair me in fulfilling my duties."
Reikan looked at her incredulously. "Your duties?"
"She is currently the head of an old line of nobility, so she has a lot of responsibilities." Bedivere explained. Reikan could see the sadness in his eyes. They soon stood before Kiritsugu's grave.
"This is it." Reikan said. "I shall leave you guys alone now, so you can say your goodbye."
"Thank you, Reikan-san." Arturia replied, as Reikan left. She and Bedivere looked at the grave.
"Shirou told me once that he was inspired by him to become a hero of justice." Bedivere suddenly began. "I wonder what kind of man he was to leave such an impression on him."
"No doubt someone with a great sense of justice I reckon." Arturia responded. Maybe I really could have gotten along with him, had our paths crossed. They both conducted a small prayer for the man. Afterwards they were invited by Reikan for a drink, which they accepted. A couple of hours later they were back at the foot of the hill. "He is a good man." Arturia declared contently.
"He sure is. Did you also feel it, my king? That man felt like he practiced the martial arts." Bedivere pondered.
"Indeed, I did. It was obvious by his movements." Arturia agreed. When they arrived at the intersection they turned right. As they walked further they came across more and more people wearing the same outfits Shirou and Sakura had worn when they left this morning. "Judging from the clothes it would seem that we are nearing th school Shirou talked about."
"It would seem so." Bedivere looked in the direction they came from, with a curious expression on his face. "It would be safe to assume that the school day is over. What do you say? Shall we go and take a look at this school?" He smiled hopeful.
"Why not. We will probably run into Shirou." Arturia consented. One thing that Bedivere noticed was that they seemed to attract a lot of attention from the students. He could hear some of the exited whispering and giggling of girls whenever he looked at them. But more than that it seemed that Arturia was the main cause for the excitement. Both boys and girls stared at her as they passed. It was obvious that the girls were both amazed and anxious. While the boys were totally exited. "It seems that we draw a lot of attention." Arturia sighed.
You more than me, my king. Bedivere thought. However, it made him feel a little proud that she received such attention. They arrived at the school gate. The school day was definitely over, but there were still students loitering around. Well, not all of them loitered. Some were busy training. "I think those are part of the extracurricular activities Shirou told us about." Bedivere observed. They entered the school grounds, ignoring the gazes the students casted on them.
A student walked up to them, with a serious expression. "Excuse me. Are the two of you visitors? If not, I have to inform you that outsiders are not allowed on the school grounds." He stated clearly.
"My apologies. We wanted to see the school, since my friend here might be enrolled here." Bedivere quickly informed him. "My name is Bedivere. May I inquire your name?"
The student looked at him for a moment as if he was sizing him up. "Good evening, Bedivere-san. I am Ryuudou Issei, the student-council president. And who might your companion be?"
"Call me Arturia Pendragon." She introduced herself with great dignity. "You said your name was Ryuudou Issei? That means that you're Shirou's friend."
"Are you an acquaintance of him?" He asked directly. "How do you know him exactly?"
"I must say that you are rather rude you know that." Bedivere chided him.
"We know him through his father, Kiritsugu. We were good friends with him. He told us that we could stay at his place should we ever visit Japan." Arturia delivers the story flawlessly.
"I understand. According to Shirou he loved travelling, so it wouldn't be abnormal for him to meet someone like him." Issei accepted the story right away.
"What do I hear? Issei accepting a girl? Now that's rare." Mitsuzuri Ayako was just passing by, when she heard their conversation. Then her eye fell on Arturia and she became silent.
"Ah, Mitsuzuri-san. On your way to the archery club, I see." Issei greeted her. Issei followed her gaze towards Arturia. "It crossed my mind as well. She looks exactly as your friend who you brought the other day."
"I have heard about her from Mordred." Mitsuzuri replied calmly. "My I ask your names?"
"I am Arturia Pendragon and this is Bedivere." Arturia introduced themselves. I know that Mordred is currently a guest at your house, but I would like to ask you to send her over to us." She requested politely.
"Hmmm. I can tell that you have no ill intentions and you seem trustworthy as well." Ayako began. "However, I can't do as you ask. Mordred is a good person. Furthermore she has helped me and the trio when we were in trouble." She spoke with sincerity. "It may not be my place to interfere, but I would like to help her if I can." Her tone indicated her resolve.
"She must have left quite the impression on you." Issei remarked adjusting his glasses. "It seems like you won't be dissuaded either. But I can support your decision."
"Are you people aware of the nature of our circumstances?" Arturia asked firmly.
"No, but what ever it is, I know that it causes her pain." Ayako sighed. "Say, do you hate her?"
Arturia was surprised by the sudden question, but she regained her composure fast. "I have never once despised her." She declared honestly. Ayako nodded in response.
"I hope you don't mind, but I would like to ask you to leave her alone until she thinks she is ready to face you?"
Arturia thought about it for a moment before she replied. "I can't promise to leave her alone, but out of respect for your resolve, I will do my best to resolve this peacefully." Her voice was full of dignity.
"I too, will honor this agreement." Bedivere stated.
"Thank you." Ayako smiled. "Anyway, you surprised me Issei." She changed the subject. "You don't like any girls."
"That's not true, Mitsuzuri-san. Girls are loud, but Arturia here is just fine. Humble women are part of our cultural heritage after all." Issei explained casually. "Neither have I anything against a brave woman such as yourself."
This made her blush a little. "I'm honored." She said bashfully.
"I can also support your decision to help Mordred-san. Love and Compassion are fundamental teachings of Buddhism after all. Ka-!" He made a praying gesture. "That aside. I believe that you two wished to have a tour of the school, right?"
"Correct, Issei-san." Bedivere affirmed.
"I'm afraid that I still have some things to do." Issei informed them. "However, I could ask Shirou to be your guide, since you know him. And since your currently are guests at his house, I would reckon you are also familiar with Fujimura-sensei?"
"Your deduction is spot on. It would be preferable, but we understand if they are currently unavailable." Bedivere clarified.
"If you don't mind, I will go to the club now. I am already late. Later!" Ayako said as she ran off.
"See you later." Issei replied. "I will find you a guide. In the mean time, would you please follow me to the visitors lounge. You can wait there for someone."
"Very well. Please, lead the way." Arturia agreed. Issei subsequently brought them to the visitors lounge. As Issei guided them, Arturia and Bedivere observed their surroundings. The students walking through the hallway who gazed at them as they passed by where distracting to say the least.
"Please wait here. I'll return momentarily." They gave a silent nod and Issei left.
"It is as Shirou told us. He was quite bashful around strangers, at least he was initially." Bedivere observed. "Shirou told us that he didn't like girls." He smirked. "Would this have surprised him?"
"Perhaps." Arturia browsed through some magazines that lay on the table. "Ohh!" She found one which piqued her interest. She grabbed it and started reading with utmost concentration. Bedivere looked at the magazine with a puzzled expression. When he saw the name, he smiled from exasperation and amusement, and shook his head.
They didn't have to wait long. When Issei returned he was accompanied by Fujimura Taiga. "Helloooo!" She cheered. "Arturia-san, Bedivere-san. Ryuudou-kun told me that you wanted a tour of the school. It was a surprise though."
"If you don't mind Fujimura-sensei, I will be leaving now." Issei told her.
"Ah...No problem. You can go back to what you where doing, Ryuudou-kun." Taiga waved. "I'll look after these two."
"Very well. It was a pleasure meeting you." He said. Arturia and Bedivere gave a slight nod and he left.
"Shirou is busy somewhere, so I'm sure we will run into him at some point." Taiga assured them. "He's always out helping someone or fixing equipment." She sighed. Then she noticed the magazine Arturia was holding. "Ha! Feel free to take that with you, Arturia-chan." She laughed. It was obvious that she and Arturia were thinking the same thing.
"Thank you, Taiga." Arturia answered with a straight face.
"Shall we begin the tour then?" She started through the door. "Oh, yeah. No outdoor shoes allowed, so use those slippers." She pointed to the slippers stored in the shoe rack.
"The first floor isn't much to see. Here we have mainly the staff room, nurses office for when people get sick. And this over here is the cafeteria." She stopped to show it. Right now the cafeteria was closed, but the faint aroma of the food remained, prickling Their noses.
"How is the food here?" Arturia inquired. Her eyes shone from anticipation.
"Pretty good, I would say." Taiga grinned. "But Shirou's food is still better. Many students also bring their home made obento."
"I think I will ask him for one tomorrow." Arturia clenched the magazine.
"You do that." Suddenly Taiga went to stand next to Bedivere. "Shall we move on? By the way Bedivere would you mind if we did some idle chatter." She gave him a small nudge.
"If it would please you." He responded politely.
Taiga swayed from happiness. "So Bedivere, how long have you been practicing sword fighting?" She asked as she walked next to him, Arturia in tow.
"Ever since I was six years old." Bedivere replied modestly. "My forte is fighting with shield and sword."
Taiga and Bedivere continued their idle talk until they reached the second floor. Arturia wasn't bothered by it, so she followed silently. There they ran into Kuzuki. "Ah, Kuzuki-sensei. Almost done for today?"
"Yes, Fujimura-sensei. I see you are giving a tour. What happened with the archery club?" He asked stoically.
"I left Mitsuzuri-kun in charge for a while. She's more than capable." Taiga laughed. "Let me introduce you to Bedivere-san and Arturia-san."
"Well met, Kuzuki-san." Bedivere bowed. "Fujimura-san was so kind to provide a tour of the school for me and my friend."
Kuzuki eyes met with Arturia who looked at him. She somehow seemed a little guarded, but greeted him politely regardless. "Good day to you. Is there something wrong?"
Kuzuki crossed his arms. "No. Pardon me for staring. It's just that a girl who looked exactly like you had visited the day before yesterday. So it made me a little curious."
"So you've met Mordred?" Arturia surmised, her eyes narrowing.
"Correct. But unlike you she was more rebellious. Both in her personality and appearance." Kuzuki recalled.
"Yes. She's always been like that." Bedivere added.
"I had encountered her again yesterday." Taiga blurted out. "We went to the tea shop in the Verde together. It was quite fun."
Arturia and Bedivere looked at her shocked. "You spent the day with Mordred?" Bedivere asked rather disappointed.
Taiga looked at him calmly. "Sure. She didn't hurt anybody. I confronted her with what I heard from you people and she promised me that she wouldn't involve any of the students." She looked Arturia straight in the eyes. There was no sign of her usual playfulness. "And I believe her."
"While our relationship is bad, I do trust her to keep her word. Her pride wouldn't allow it otherwise." Arturia agreed firmly.
"It seems that you have some serious issues with each other." Kuzuki pondered.
"You have no idea." Bedivere sighed.
"Yes. I heard her muttering something about being the dirtied child." Taiga went on. "Can you elaborate on that, Arturia-kun?"
Arturia answered without emotions with a straight face. "She was born out of infidelity."
Taiga and Kuzuki stared at her silently. "It's just a hunch, but are you from a high ranking family?" Kuzuki asked.
Arturia nodded. "I am of noble birth."
"I see. So as an illegitimate child she is probably a thorn in many eyes." Kuzuki reasoned. "It's not uncommon for illegitimate children to receive the scorn of the legit family members."
"I kinda feel sorry for her. It must have been hard for her." Taiga gave a sad sigh. Bedivere was a bit surprised by this conversation. He hadn't thought about Mordred in such a way before.
"You're misunderstanding something." Arturia said suddenly. Everybody looked at her. "I can assure you, that her family never despised her. Not even once." She declared with a clear voice.
"If that is true, then that would beg the question: Is she aware of that?" Kuzuki asserted. "How one person views something, can be seen differently by another."
"A valid point. I hadn't considered it." Arturia admitted, with an expression as if scolding herself. "Thank you, Kuzuki-san. You've showed me a new perspective of things."
"No thanks needed. Now then, if you'll excuse me." Kuzuki started towards the stairs and disappeared from view.
"That was rather heavy-hearted." Taiga frowned. "Now then. Shall we continue with the tour?" She was back to being cheerful.
Mordred arrived at the church. She paused for a moment to admire the building. She never was one for religion, but this church was beautiful in it's simplicity. "Let's see what that priest has to say." Her instincts told her that it was safe, so she proceeded through the gate and went straight to the main door. When she entered, she found the building completely empty. No, there was one person sitting at the very front of the church. Her instincts tingled. She gripped her sword and approached him carefully. "Hey, you. Can you tell me where the priest is?" She asked. Her normal haughtiness was replaced with caution, because she realized that this person was powerful.
The man stood up and turned towards her. His golden hair and red eyes reflected the light falling through the windows. Dressed in fancy clothes and with the dignity of a king, his very being can only be described as golden. He looked at her with interest, but also with annoyance. He walked towards the exit. Mordred tensed up, her sharp gaze watching his every move. She thought that he looked familiar somehow.
"He is in the back. Through that door." He said, not even hiding his annoyance and left the church. Mordred looked over her shoulder as the man departed, feeling very offended by the man's tone. "It was quite a surprise, but not unexpected. At least she has the dignity of a king, not bad for a filthy meat doll." The man scoffed as he left through the gate.
Mordred went through the door and crossed the court yard and entered the first door she saw. The room contained a couple of armchairs and couches around a low table. The priest was sitting on one of the couches sipping wine. He smiled when he noticed her. "So you've come, Mordred. Please have a seat." He motioned to th chair next to him. "Would you like some wine?"
"No thank you." She replied with a low voice as she sat down, placing her sword next to her. She looked the priest in the eyes. The man didn't feel dangerous, but he had a heavy presence. "Why? Why have you decided to give me information about the Grail? What is your game?"
"Because it interests me. The legendary Mordred and King Arthur competing for the Holy Grail. I wonder who will emerge victorious." He took a sip of wine. "Besides, who am I to interfere with the desires of others?"
Mordred didn't trust him. This guy was planning something, but for now... "How do you know about the War?"
"Because, I participated in the previous one." He responded honestly. "And it so happens, that I am the Overseer of the upcoming fifth War." Mordred straightened herself.
"So you know all about it. Very well then. You can start by telling me the most important things ." She ordered. Kirei looked at her, unfazed by her order.
"As you wish." Kirei put down his glass and commenced his explanation. "The first thing that you need to know is that only those chosen by the Grail may participate. Each time seven Magi are chosen to participate."
"So, the participant has to be a Magus." Mordred scoffed as she sank in the chair. "I should have known."
"Rest easy, there might be a way to participate regardless." Mordred rose back up, a hopeful glimmer in her eyes. A imperceptible smile appeared on Kirei's face. "Let's continue. Those Magi are called Masters. Around one or two moths before the start of the War, it becomes possible to summon a Servant. While it is possible to summon one without a catalyst, most chose to use one. This allows them to be more specific in choosing their desired Servant."
"So far it seems straightforward. Tell me more about the Servants." Mordred repeated what he had just said in the back of her mind.
Kirei gave a nod. "Servants are called forth from the Throne of Heroes. When they are summoned by the world they are simply emotionless tools to correct the balance of the world." He stood up and and walked to a cabinet to refill his wine. "Summoning them as Servants however, manifests them as they were in life, with all of their emotions, memories, experience...their complete personality. The Master must be able to supply the Servant with Prana, so the Servant can remain anchored in this world."
"That's certainly interesting. Just like my father I have a tremendous supply of Prana." Mordred nodded. "Can I have some wine?
"As you wish. The Masters are granted three Command Spells. They usually appear somewhere on the arms. These are proof that one is a Master and allows him or her claims of absolute obedience over his or her Servant." Kirei continued as he poured her some wine. "For each War, the Grail provides three for every Master, giving a total of twenty-one. That is the limit."
"Absolute obedience?" Those words somehow rubbed her the wrong way.
"Correct. They are best used for simple and direct commands. One could for example augment ones servant attack power by commanding the Servant to strike with all his might, or even even allow the Servant to teleport directly to you in a pinch." Kirei smiled and handed her the wine. "You can even force them to do something they would normally refuse to do."
"Trample their honor and pride, you mean. That would most certainly worsen the relation between Servant and Master." Mordred grimaced. As a warrior herself, she could imagine how it feels like for her honor and pride to be tarnished.
"That depends on the personality of the hero." Kirei sat back down and handed her a glass of wine. Mordred immediately took a big gulp. "Now then as long as the Master has at least one Command Spell remaining, he or she is allowed to participate in the War. As long as that is the case, the contract with the Servant remains intact and in the event the Servant is defeated, it is possible establish a contract with a Masterless Servant."
"So it all comes down to that Command Spell." Mordred deduced.
"And this is where it gets interesting for you. It is possible for someone who is not a magus to become a Master." Kirei smiled when Mordred got exited. "One way is to steal the Spells from another Master and transplant them, or by using a Command Spell planted on a Grimoire."
Mordred gulped down the rest of the wine. "So by taking it from someone else, I could participate?" She stared fiercely at him. "For a knight to steal..."
"Of course, if something as theft is unthinkable for you, than you should chose a Magus as your proxy for the War. Your mother perhaps?" He smiled. And it was clear why. He knew that Mordred had a wish she wanted granted. Kirei was certain that if her mother would participate in her place, she would lose her chance to have it granted. The bastard had realized it all too well. She growled and averted her gaze. Then she calmed down a bit and gulped down the rest of the wine.
"One more thing. What are these catalysts?" Mordred inquired.
"A relic that is tied to a specific hero's tale. For example, a piece of the Argo would allow one to summon one of the heroes which sailed on it. Of course when the Relic is tied to multiple heroes, the hero who is most compatible with the summoner will be called forth."
"I see. That's good to know. Continue." Mordred leaned towards him. "How is the Summoning done?"
Kirei took a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it over to her. "The details of the Summoning are written on it. The War will begin three months from now on, in January. You have some time to prepare." Mordred took the note and her sword.
"I don't know what you are planning, but I will be prepared for anything you try." Mordred warned him. He merely smiled, as he had expected it.
"And don't worry. I won't tell anyone of our meeting. That wouldn't be fun at all." He laughed. "But be ware that I will have to notify the Church and the Association if you draw too much attention." Mordred gave an acknowledging look at him and left. Kirei who was very pleased by how it went, returned to savoring his wine.