Chapter 1.

• Y/N's POV.•

The sun set quickly on the wintered Isles, leaving cold darkness to fall.

The night market was lit by lanterns and light magic, the snow reflecting more of the glow around.

I pulled my cloak tighter against me, adjusting the hood as not to show my identity.

I had a bit of a reputation around the Isles, or my cloaked self did. I often found myself getting into fights and arguments when anonymous.

It was fun, I could do basically anything and have little consequence. I tried not to take advantage of that, of course, but I still enjoyed what I did.

I stood at a jewelry stand, a particular silver necklace had caught my eye. It was clean with a moon pendant.

Silver was my signature, my cloak being the shining gray.

I'd even been nick - named Silver Saint, though I was anything but. I assumed I earned "saint" because the back of my cloak resembles wings due to the feathers on it.

I took the necklace up into my gloved hand, the man running the shop wasn't present.

As I shoved the small chain into my side bag, a voice called out.

"Hey! Drop it!"

I knew it was calling to me, and I refused to get caught over such a small item.

I secured my bag against my side and started to run, dodging people and stands. I turned corners and cut through alleys trying to lose the person chasing me.

I came to a dead end in an alley, seeing no way to climb the walls surrounding me. It was too small to attempt to fly in, my staff probably wouldn't even fit horizontally.

"Cornered, how pathetic." The same voice spat behind me.

I turned and summoned my staff, holding it the best I could in the small space. The voice turned out to be the famed Golden Guard, right hand man of the Emperor. I hated them both.

"What do you want, Golden Guard?" I spoke in return.

"You know what I want. You wild witches think you can take and have whatever you want." The guard said, taking steps towards me.

"You're not wrong, honestly. But its more fun than being nice." I gave a grin, stepping back.

"The Emperor has been wanting to catch you for years. And now I finally have you... He'll be so proud of this." He growled, continuing to approach me.

My back pressed against the cold alleyway wall, the chill of it up against my spine through my cape was making me shiver.

The guard grabbed my left arm, the one on the bottom of my staff.

I dropped my stick from that hand and swung at him with my other, hitting him in the side of the head.

The metal cane rang out as it collided with his mask and he dropped me from his hold.

I pushed him out of my way and ran again, foolishly looking back as he began to chase.

I didn't stop running or looking backwards until I felt a sudden loss of ground, stumbling for balance. I had ran to the docks over the boiling sea. The water hissed and bubbled below me, melting stray chips of wood I knocked off the platform.

"You're really not that good at running, you know that?" Golden Guard's voice spoke again behind me, slight amusement lacing it.

"Are you honestly so obsessed that you'd chase me twice?" I joked, leaning on my staff. My (favorite animal) palisman, (palisman's name = p/n) sat neatly on it.

The Guard drew his staff as well, though it didn't hold a palisman. Instead, it had a red gem and a wing. Odd.

"Don't make jokes! You know why I'm chasing you!" He yelled.

"There's multiple reasons, I kinda need you to pick one." I grinned, looking down at my gloved hands and pretending to observe my nails.

"You're a wild witch! A dangerous magic user! And a thief! A liar! A-"

I cut him off. "That's enough, Guard-sy, I get it."

"Don't call me Guard-sy."

"Listen Guard-sy,"

He scoffed at me.

"I get that you hate me for an array of reasons, but this is honestly stupid. Just run back to your little tower in the Emperor's Castle and go take a nap in your princess bed." I looked up at him. The way his body tensed up implied possible anger, though I couldn't see his expression because of his mask.

I knew he could easily see my smirk since the hood only covered to the tip of my nose.

He gripped his baton and swung it, making me lift into the air.

"Is this really how you plan to capture me? Float me around?" I asked, adjusting my position to keep my appearance hidden.

"Why wouldn't I? Its simple and easy. I don't want to waste energy on someone like you." The guard began to walk back the way we came, bringing me behind him.

With a simple flick of my wrist, I made a spell circle and managed to free myself.

"That was an easy spell! Thankfully, those don't take much effort to break out of." I said, giving my cane a twirl and resting it on my shoulder like a baseball bat.

He only got to turn before I dropped a smoke bomb from my bag, covering the whole area in thick fog. I knew he couldn't see me, but I still used an invisibility trick to ensure my escape.

I ran to into thick woods, allowing myself to become visible again once I was sure I was alone.

I trudged through the forrest, nighttime bird calls and the crunching snow under my boots were all I could hear.

The hidden door to my hideout came into my sight, only seeing it because I knew where to look.

I opened the door and was immediately met with comforting warmth. My cloak was placed onto the hanger by the door and my boots were kicked off. I put them nicely where the melting snow wouldn't make a huge mess.

(P/N) was freed from my staff and moved around freely as I emptied the bag slung over my body.

Food, elixirs to drink, a few coins stolen off unattended counters, and the necklace.

I clasped the necklace around my neck and tucked it into my shirt, the moon pendant was ice cold against my warm skin.

Walking into the kitchen, I tossed (P/N) a piece of food and began to cook a small serving for myself. It wasn't (favorite food = F/F), but it would keep me alive.

Truth is, I really didn't have much money. I didn't mind it, though. I liked the criminal lifestyle. And it was a good thing I did.

Having not joined a coven, I was already outlawed. A "wild witch" is the term for us non-coveners. I didn't see the point in joining one. Only being able to use one type of magic? Absolutely not.

I was free the way I lived. And I liked it.

The Silver Saint and her trusty palisman (palisman's nickname = p/n-n). We were the power duo that roamed the night streets, looking for trouble.

I finished cooking and let the heat from the small stove warm the hideout. The place was small, but a comfortable enough size for the two of us.

A bedroom, a bathroom, a decent sized living room - kitchen, and a tower where I could do lookout and experiment with spells.

I found the place abandoned a couple years back, when I first started being on my own, and managed to fix it up over time.

Me and (P/N) ate and hurried off into my room after I shut everything off. We climbed into our beds, (or bed if you'd prefer your palisman to sleep with you) and nodded off to sleep quickly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally nobody asked for this book but I felt like making it so theres that.

Word count: 1,340.