Chapter 3.

Silence fell again.

I don't know if I was too dumbstruck to say anything or if it felt too awkward.

What are you supposed to do when someone who's supposed to be your enemy laughs at your jokes? That's an odd situation.

I pulled the moon necklace out from under my shirt, rubbing my thumb against the pendant.

"You kept that?" The guard asked me.

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I?"

"Cause its not yours." He answered. He made an attempt to grab it at.

I leaned back, dodging the attempt. "I think it is. That's how stealing works to me. You take it, you own it. You pay for it, you earn it. Ridiculous in my opinion." I spoke.

"That doesn't make sense!"

"You don't make sense."

"What does that even mean?" He questioned, adjusting his golden mask.

"Doesn't matter. Why is your mask a bird face?" I asked him something of my own, leaning forward and tapping on the material.

He swatted my hand away and fixed it again.

"I really don't know. All the other coven scouts have masks that look like plague doctor beaks. I'm not sure why mine is different." He answered. "And don't tap my mask!"

"Why? Scared you'll get 'wild witch germs' and breathe it in? Become one of us?" I poked his arm, just trying to annoy him.

"Ow! No! ... Maybe. I don't know how wild magic works!"

I laughed, leaning backwards and resting on my hands. I tugged my hood down more to secure it and pulled myself together.

"You really are something, you know?" I said, looking over at him from my reclined position.

"Yeah, the scouts always say that." He grabbed his staff and got up. "Sunrise will be soon. You were out all night. Go home, Silver. Or wherever you run off to."

The guard flew off, headed for the Emperor's Castle.

"Wow, okay." I scoffed, grabbing (P/N) and heading back to Bonesborough. I was planning on seeing if I can snatch anything left over from the night market.

The shop tent streets were empty when I arrived. I dropped off my staff and let (P/N) roam.

"Looks like they closed on us, (P/N-N). Nothing to take tonight. Guard-sy got us distracted, huh?"

My friend gave me a glaring look.

"Okay, he distracted me. Better for you? Lets go home."

(P/N) gave a noise of agreement and we headed off to the hideout again.

Every night and day felt the same to me. Sell, steal or fight, repeat. That was it. Don't get me wrong, I love being Silver Saint, I just wish I could do more as her or even as (Y/N). Balancing these two lives was fine, just boring.

In my thinking, I wasn't paying attention to where I walked and ran into a tree in the woods. I hit my lower face, having had my head turned to see the sky through the thick treetops.

I hissed out a grumble of pain and held my injury.

I headed inside the hideout, (P/N) behind me, and went straight to the bathroom. I looked at my face in the mirror; thankfully I didn't have a scratch or splinter, but a decent sized bruise was beginning to form.

Great.

I could get discovered because of this. I didn't have any makeup that could cover it, and my healing magic wasn't the strongest. Neither was my illusion spells, but I'd needed to hide it.