Chapter 5.

"Run."
-------------------------------------------------------------

I took the guard by his hand and ran. The snow gave under our feet and made us stumble, but I refused to let them take Golden. I knew that the emperor wasn't a good or merciful man, I had scars to prove it, and I wouldn't let them make Gold suffer his fury.

"Silver!" He huffed, adjusting his grip on me. "Why are you making me run from them? They know me!"

"Are you stupid? Titan knows what Belos would do to you if he found out that you've been hanging around a wanted wild witch!" I yelled back at him, tugging the boy closer to me and picking up speed. The coven scouts' yelling died down behind us, but I knew they'd stay on our track.

The two of us turned a corner, now running by the edge of woods. I held onto the boy's hand tightly, pulling him as close to me as possible, and dove into the woods.

We tumbled and hit trees until finally stopping. I opened my eyes, laying on my back, and looked over to find Golden. He lay on his side next to me, his hand still tightly held in mine.

I quickly pulled up my hood and rolled over to check on him.

"Gold," I whispered. "Gold, are you okay?"

The boy groaned, grabbing at his mask. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He winced as he attempted to sit up.

"Here, let me see." I leaned down to his chest, a few scratches and cuts from thorns had made way through his clothing and onto his stomach area.

"I can heal it, but I need to see them. Can you pull up your shirt or something..?" I awkwardly asked.

The boy hesitated then pulled his tunic free from his pants, hoisting it up to expose the small wounds.

"I'm sorry if it hurts." I made a spell circle for healing and focused my attention on his injury, mumbling apologies as I heard his quiet winces.

They were gone quickly and I helped him to sit up properly.

"What was that even for?" The guard asked, talking about our dive into the woods.

"I had to get those guards off your track somehow."

"You couldn't have used an illusion or something to hide us?"

"Takes too long." I huffed, getting up onto my feet and walking closer to the edge of the forest. It looked clear outside from what I could tell. I couldn't hear any running or yelling from the coven scouts.

"Let me go check if its okay. Stay here, alright?" I asked over my shoulder. "Hey wait, where's (P/N-N)?"

We both froze, looking at each other.

I panicked, scrambling around looking for them. I called for them a few times but the staff didn't come to me.

"Did I drop them when we fell through?!" I mumbled, frantically searching.

"Do you think the scouts got them...?" Gold mumbled in return. We shared a glance of worry before I tore through the trees, tripping and stumbling to the tree line.

The coven scouts were fading from my sight down the path, headed towards a back way to the castle.

I ran as fast I could, screaming at them. I could hear Gold beginning to follow behind me, yelling at me to stop. I didn't, I couldn't lose (P/N). They were all I had.

"Stop! Please! This isn't fair!" I screamed. A rough rasp growled my voice, likely caused by tears that clouded my vision.

The guards took off flying on their staffs which left me chasing on foot. At least until I was swooped off my feet by Golden on his staff. He pulled me down onto it by my waist, holding me in front of him as we flew.