The Ghost of Christmas Past

After his terrifying expensive with Eggman, Shadow decided to head for bed. He walked up to his bed, pulled the curtains over, blocking him and the outside world, and lied down. He started his slumber at 10, but awoke at 11:30, as something made him uneasy. Was it Eggman's warning? Was it guilt from not giving those charity workers any rings? Of course not! He opened his curtain to look at his grandfather clock.

"30 minutes until that first ghost shows up," Shadow thought. "No point going back to sleep. Might as well wait until that ghost shows up." He lie on his bed waiting for the bell on his clock to ring. He counted the seconds after the bell rung.

"58... 59..." Shadow counted. "A whole minute late! I guess the old Dr. Eggman was..." Suddenly, a flash of light came from outside the curtains. The curtains shot open as the light dimmed down. Shadow jumped out of his bed, only to be met face to face with a bright orange haired echidna girl. She was wearing a long white dress with a golden crown around her head.

"A...are you the ghost who visit was foretold?" Shadow asked, shaking.

"Am I," the girl responded. "We prefer to be called spirits rather that ghosts."

"Do you... have a name, spirit?" Shadow asked.

"I do," the girl responded. "My title is the Ghost of Christmas Past, but you can call me Tikal."

"If you prefer being called spirits, then why did you just call yourself a ghost?" Shadow asked.

"Because that is my title," Tikal said. "Anyways, I am here to show you, your past."

"There'll be none of that!" Shadow yelled. "I know my own history very well, thank you!"

"You will come with me," Tikal said, floating over to the window and opening it. "It will only do you good. Come, fly with me out this window!"

"What?" Shadow yelled. "I am mortal, and I will fall!" Tikal floated over to him, grabbed his arm and made way to the window.

"With me, you will gain the ability to fly, go through walls and travel time!" Tikal said, taking Shadow and flying out of the window and into a bright light in the sky.

Then appeared in a metal room.

"Tikal, where are we?" Shadow asked. "And what was that light?"

"That light was the past," Tikal explained. "And we are on the Space Colony ARK!" Shadow looked around. It was indeed the ARK, and he was his old school room, where Gerald Robotnik taught him. He saw multiple chairs, however, only one had anyone in it. In the chair, was a young, child Shadow the Hedgehog, still being taught by Gerald after the other kids left for earth. But, because he lived on the ARK, he stayed to study. Shadow saw how depressed his younger self looked.

"Poor boy," Shadow said. "Made to spend his whole childhood working."

"Not being able to his brother and sister ..." Tikal said.

"Sister?" Shadow asked. Suddenly, the room aged, with the young Shadow getting ten years okder. A blonde hedgehog girl, wearing a blue dress with blue boots and a blue headband ran in.

"Maria!" Shadow said. "Maria, it's me, Shadow!"

"She cannot see you," Tikal explained. "No one can see us!" The past Shadow got out from his desk and hugged Maria.

"Great news, brother," Maria coughed. "Grandfather said you've finished your studies! We can celebrate Christmas together at last!"

"That's great!" Past Shadow said, hugging his sister back. Shadow smiled, but then turned to frown when he remember what happened to Maria.

"You remember it, don't you?" Amy said. "Just after your mother had Sonic, Maria died of NIDs, didn't she?" Shadow nodded, tearing up.

"We were surprised she made it so long that she could take during Sonic's childhood." Shadow said. There was another flash of light.'

Suddenly, the two of them were outside a building. Shadow took a good look at it.

"Do you remember this place?" Tikal asked.

"Remember it?" Shadow said. "This was my first job!" A robot walked out of the building.

"Come in, Humans and Mobians," he said. "It's time for the GUN Christmas Party!"

"The GUN Christmas Party!" Shadow said, in joy. "These were famous. They were something to look forward to every year!" The two of them walked in. There were many people having fun, eating, drinking, dancing. The past Shadow walked in, with a bill and walked over to the commander.

"Commander, sir?" Shadow said. "Have you seen the bill for this party?"

"Shadow, this is a time for giving and having fun!" The Commander said. "I saw a hot bat girl somewhere! Why don't you speak to her?"

"I'd much rather..."

"Rouge!" The Commander yelled. "Rouge, could you come over here for me?"

Shadow and Tikal looked around, with Shadow even dancing a bit. He saw Amy and Eggman talking.

"Great party this year, huh?" Eggman said.

"Could've been better," Eggman said. "They could've made it rain money and see who could've grabbed the most!" Shadow and Amy both laughed at Eggman. Tikal lead Shadow to where his past self was. Rouge had just walked up to past Shadow and The Commander.

"Shadow, this is Rouge the Bat," The Commander said. "Rouge, this is Shadow the Hedgehog. I trust that you two will become good friends!" The Commander walked, while the two Mobians stared into each other eyes.

"Aww..." Tikal said. "The day you found love."

"It didn't last," Shadow admitted.

"I know," Tikal said.

"Wait, no, don't take me to that Christmas!" Shadow begged, but already, the world around them transformed.

Shadow and Tikal were on the streets, watching past Shadow and Rouge together. Rouge looked at a Emerald that was behind a window of a shop.

"Oooh, I wouldn't mind getting that for Christmas!" Rouge said.
"No way," Shadow said.

"What?"

"Have you seen the price?" Shadow asked.

"It's Christmas, though," Rouge said. "I have you seen how much you make ever since you and Vector started that business."

"I spend my money on important things in life," Shadow said.

"And I'm not important in your life?" Rouge asked. There was pause.

"I didn't mean..." Shadow said.

"Leave me," Rouge said. "I never want to see you again!" She stormed off, leaving past Shadow alone.

"Tough breakup!" Tikal said. "I heard she remarried." Present Shadow was at tears.

"Spirit, why do you torture me?" Shadow sobbed. "What enjoyment do you get out of this?"

"None," Tikal said. "I am only here to show you your past!"

"Leave me, Tikal!" Shadow yelled. "I wish to be left alone!" The world around Shadow faded away, including Tikal, until he was back in his room.