Chapter Six

If I wanted to protect Thresh, or at least not get him killed, then I had to think fast. What was I supposed to do? It's no tlike I could reach into the air and yank the dagger away from Thresh! But, I could shoot it...

   My arrow was already loaded into my fine bow, so I shot. I hit the handle of the dagger just in time for it to be knocked out of the air, pulled safely to the ground thanks to gravity. Without even thinking about it, I pulled out yet another arrow and sent it hurling towards Cato. I intended to kill him, but Cato turned abrubtly, causing me arrow to lodge into his side. As Cato called out in pain and hobbled away, yanking the arrow from his flesh and throwing it on the ground, I ran over to Thresh.

   "Are you alright?" I asked him, the words rushing out fo my mouth.

   "Never better," Thresh muttered as he clutched his stomach, exhausted. "You really do have some fine shooting. I'm glad," he smiled to me.

   "Why don't you sit down for a bit?" I asked and helped him down.

   "Thank you," Thresh said and laid back onto the ground, closing his eyes.

   A couple of minutes passed us by in silence until I finally said "Do you know who's left? There can't be that many more people still alive. And Cato was obviously our largest competition..." Thresh lifted his head up off the ground, the rest of his body following it until he was in a sitting position.

   "What do you mean, 'us'?" Thresh's beautiful golden brown eyes stared passt my own eyes and cut into my heart. He should have just stabbed me. "You were in alliance with that girl, Rue, right?"

   "Y-yes," I choked out.

   "I saved you, you protected the girl. We're both even now, right? So why do you insist on keeping up an alliance with me? I'm dangerous, you know. I could kill you right now!" Thresh yelled.

   "But you won't. That's the thing! I know you won't, you wouldn't ever!" I yelled at him, trying to hold back my stupid tears. Crying won't ever help me.

   "But I can," Thresh leans forward so he's on his hands and knees in front of me. "Katniss..." Thresh closes his eyes.

   "What is it?" I whisper softly.

   "The real reason I don't want to be your ally is because I don' think I can take it. Maybe I don't show it, but you make me crazy! I want... I want you to..." Thressh opened his eyes. Then he stood up and offered me his hand. I accepted it and Thresh helped me up. When I got up however, he didn't let my hand go. He simply led me back out through the tall grasses and into the trees. Thresh stopped and turned to face me. "Now, I want you to kiss me."

   My heart stopped. I let out a small gasp before Thresh's lips connected with mine. Those soft, warm lips. I leaned in a bit more, and Thresh let go of my hand and placed it gingerly on my shoulder. I almost smiled behind that kiss, but I didn't. An instant later, Thresh pulled back and smiled at me.

   "Now I'm truly happy. But this is where our bond ends. Don't think I won't think about you, because I will. Every day of my life. Thresh places my bow and the sheith of arrows im my hands. "Here," then he pecked me cheek and whispered into my ear, so  only I could hear it: "You're the only girl I've ever loved like this."

   Then he turned and ran back toward the tall grasses that reminded him of his home. I was still standing there like an idiot, staring at the line of the horizon where I had last seen him. I could kill him now and he could kill me. I could find Peeta now. I could find Foxface now. I could die now, and it wouldn't matter. None of it would. Because I believe Thresh just played me.