Chapter 1: Coming home

Author's note: Well, with the overwhelming positive response and the few (and only) votes in favor, we're going to be continuing this series...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuze's POV

His disappearance had everyone shaken up, the princess more than anyone else. Everyone dealt with in their own way. She'd come to me every now and then to hear stories about Partner...

I assumed she'd go to the other people who were around him before he disappeared.

It was another day like that... I was with the princess talking about the time me and the Knight first met...

"So... Yuze?" She asked, when I had just finished the story "What do you think about him?"

"Huh?" I hadn't thought about that yet... he'd been gone for almost a year by now... "I guess he's the best partner I could ever have asked for."

It was true, but something inside me told me there was something more to it.

Ever since he disappeared, every time I thought about him or our memories together, I just feel as if something was gripping my chest, squeezing the air out of my lungs...

I had actually stopped going on adventures for a bit too. Sure, I had adventures alone before he showed up as well as after we met, but to do it now... I felt like I was desecration some sort of memory...

It felt wrong.

The princess's stories were the only time I made a concession on this self imposed amnesia. She needed it... his disappearance hit her hardest afterall...

Still, it hurt to talk.

Every word exhausting breath in my lungs.

Every memory tightening it's chokehold on my heart with every word...

"He'll be back soon... I know that much, at least. He's not the kind of person who leaves his friends hanging..."

"Yeah!" She said cheerily, but her expression darkened almost immediately, "But... we found his helmet there... back in the Ra Kingdom... and nothing else."

She was right about that. It was like he dropped right off the face of the earth. His tracks just stop a little before a railing... I didn't want to think about what that could mean... we didn't find any body below which gave me some hope.

Before my thoughts could reach a conclusion, a loud sound appeared to come from the top of Heavenhold's spire.

"What was that?!" The princess asked.

"I have no idea..." I answered, but something about the glimpse of light I saw before it went out gave me hope, "Let's go check it out!"

"Is this an adventure?" The princess asked, her face brightening with the distraction.

"Sure! Let's go!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight's POV

The stone floor hit my face hard as I went through the portal almost knocking me out cold. I looked up to my surroundings.

I was at the top of the spire, but it was restored to it's original state of not being a total ruin.

I heard one of the androids come up to the room, probably to investigate the commotion.

I lunged at her.

"What year is it?" I rasped, my throat sore.

"AH 503." The mechanized voice, "Would you like me to notify everyone of your return, Knight?"

"Sure... why not?" I gasped.

I collapsed, exhausted, the effects of the battle against Beth only just catching up to me. I noticed another set of tapping coming up along the staircase.

They seemed hurried.

I sat up and got on my haunches, staring at the doorway.

A mess of red hair and short dark horns popped at the doorframe followed by a crown on golden blonde hair, both slightly peering around the edge to see what was going on.

They didn't seem to recognise me immediately, my normally well maintained armor was caked in mud and grime and cracked at places, but they recognised me in a second.

I, on the other had, couldn't move... but I smiled like an idiot when I saw them.

Yuze's eyes went wide with the realisation.

The Princess, however, dashed at me, leaping and hugging my torso, "I knew you'd come back!" She cried out, half in laughter and half through tears, "I knew it! Some of them said that you won't! That you deserted! Or... or..." She was putting on a brave face for around a year... it was breaking down now.

She cried a river on my chest.

I felt a pang of guilt again as it hit me as I fully realised how she must've felt in the other timeline... putting on that same brave face for years on end...

"Well, I'll have you know, I'm not that easy to kill..." I chuckled, patting her head.

She cried even harder, but chuckled a bit with me.

Yuze stepped forward. I looked up, looking her in the eye, "Hi Partner!"

She smiled in response, relief spreading across her face...

Maybe she was worried about me from my unusually soiled armor or the portal, but, for now, she just seemed happy to have me back in Heavenhold.

To be fair, it was good to be back.

I let my head hit the floor and I let out a sigh. Before I knew it, I was out cold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.: This... this kinda shit... is what kills me and motivates me at the same time...

Anyway, thanks for reading... hope you enjoyed...