Chapter 10: Vanishing Happiness

LILY

LILY

The meeting with Dr. Patel goes better than expected. Dad's surgery was a resounding success, and everyone at the hospital agrees that Dad should be discharged in a week. He'll need to rest for at least four to six weeks, and might be cleared to return to the race circuit at that point.

"We'll have to evaluate, though. You'll need physical therapy," says the doctor.

"I'll make sure he follows orders," Mom chimes in, patting Dad's foot. In response, Dad playfully scowls.

I do the math in my mind. Six weeks means three races: Austin, Montreal and Mexico City. After that is Brazil. I know the schedule by heart. That's not too bad, I guess, no major global travel to contend with. I inhale and catch a whiff of Max's cologne that hangs in the air.

No, it's bad. Super bad.

Dr. Patel finishes talking, and says he'll give us some time alone. When he leaves, it's just the three of us: me, mom and dad. Part of me would prefer if Max was here too, because his presence is oddly comforting. Also, I really need that coffee to kick my butt into gear.

Mom and I sit on the bed, on either side of Dad.

I put on a bright expression. "We have a ton of logistics to work out. Like where you're both going to stay while he recovers, whether you're going to New York—"

"We're staying at your condo when he gets out of here, then we'll decide on New York," Mom says firmly.

"You just have to get to Austin, dear."

Mom nods in agreement. It's as if they're both on the same page, which is unusual.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stick around for a few days?" I ask.

"No," they say in tandem.

"Gosh, way to make your only daughter feel wanted."

"Kamari mou, you know we'd rather have you here with us. But the team takes priority."

"Always the team," mom groans.

"Not now, Eileen," Dad warns.

"Enough, you two. No arguing. Please don't antagonize him, Mom.

"Yes, don't antagonize me, Eileen." Dad reaches for Mom's nose in a playful gesture, and she kisses his hand.

"Don't egg her on," I warn. "Fine. I'll go to Austin today."

"You and Max go on our jet together," Dad says.

Mom winks, and I shoot her a glare. "Okay. We're going to have to come up with a statement to the press. They've been begging for details for hours. I haven't even looked at what's in the papers, I'm sure all sorts of lies have already made it into print."

"You should've already met with Tanya. Where's the phone? Let's call her." Dad tries to twist to his bedside table with a grunt. Mom stops him.

"I'll call her from the car. So, Mom, you're staying here?"