Prologue

Warning: Strong language, violence

Liam ran as fast as he could, blood trickling from the cut on his cheek. As he ran, he heard the familiar shouting of the man he was running from. 

"Get back here you fucking cunt! I've shot you once, I won't hesitate to do it again!"

The sound of the man's heavy footsteps getting closer was almost enough for Liam to just give up. Sides heaving and mind racing with dark thoughts, Liam almost stopped running. But he couldn't do that - not if he wanted to live. Which, now, he wasn't so sure about himself.

-

(Ten Years Later)

Liam huffed out a heavy sigh, glancing over the gravestone, reading over the fading words for the fifth time that hour, solemn look set on his face.

In loving memory of Karen Payne: Loving mother, daughter, and wife.

It should have been him. He had decided that long ago - twelve years ago, actually, when she had died in that car accident that forever changed Liam's life.

His dad had become... not so tolerable after the whole ordeal. Geoff had been an amazing father, a friend to Liam at times. But just when Liam had needed him most - just after his mother had died - Geoff became cold and distant, even going far enough as to hurt Liam. Liam had only been fourteen when it started. No kid should have to go through that at such an early age. Liam had eventually learned to put up with Geoff's moods, but that didn't mean it got any easier for the teenager.

Now, being twenty-six years old, Liam had escaped it, his father now being dead, resting in a grave beside his wife. It might have been wrong, but Liam still got the sadistic feeling of joy when he saw the gravestone in its dull glory.

~

This story is going to be told in Niall's POV, but I wanted to add a bit of a backstory to Liam, if that makes any sense. Hope you all enjoy this so far! Feel free to give me ideas on upcoming chapters.