Why?

The wind blew softly around Niall, causing him to pull the sweater closer to his slightly shivering form. Despite it being winter, it wasn't terribly cold yet - although that could be only for Niall, with his three layers of clothing. It was December - nine days until Christmas - which should make Niall happier than he was. He wasn't a child, long from it, actually, but he would normally be more excited for the upcoming holiday, finally being able to visit family again. But that wasn't the case - not today, anyway. He had just seen the man he had seen so many times (and possibly obsessed over for five days straight) in the alleyway, cigarette between his lips, so casually, as if it belonged there. It just saddened Niall to see the man - who was incredibly good looking, he might add - smoking that, that cancer stick, as if it meant nothing that he could die from it.

Niall walked down the street until he found the local park, sitting on the bench when he came to it. The cheerful songs of the birds calmed him as he looked around, observing the little things around the park. Dogs barking, children playing, parents looking after their children, happy couples, the man from earlier, birds hopping around. Wait - the man from earlier. Niall had to do a double take to fully understand what he saw. And he was right. There stood the man from earlier, cigarette in his hand, soft smile on his face when he saw that Niall was looking at him. He gave a small wave to the smaller brunette, coming off as friendly to Niall. Niall took that as a sign to walk to the man, so he did, grin on his face.

"How are ya, mate?" Niall asked as he walked up next to the man, settling down on the bench beside him. "M' fine, I suppose," the man hummed thoughtfully. Niall watched as the man brought the cigarette up to his lips, breathing in the smoke. "You know, it's not good to do that," Niall said softly, not wanting to offend the man. He probably shouldn't have said that in the first place, but he couldn't help it. He truly cared about the man. 

"Not physically, maybe. Helps me stay sane."

The words of the man were so harshly genuine, it worried Niall. What could the man be going through to be bad enough he had to smoke to be okay?

"If you need anything, I'm around," Niall said gently. The larger man huffed out a bitter laugh, tossing the cigarette on the ground, letting it burn out until it was no longer lit. "I get that a lot."

"I mean it, though," Niall decided to push a bit farther. "I'm around if you need anyone to talk to." The man smiled gently, corners of his lips curling ever so slightly, the smile was nearly unnoticeable. "Thank you, mate, really. But I think I'll be okay." Niall felt a bit of a stinging pain in his chest at the words. They had been so kind, so gentle, as if the man hadn't wanted to hurt Niall's feelings in any way. Yet it made Niall feel even worse about the man's situation. How could such a kind man have anything going against him in the world?

"I hope everything gets better for you, whatever it is," Niall said softly, walking away back to his flat with a small smile to the man. He never did learn the man's name.